One-pay lease for 2016 Nissan Leaf / Early buyout / Payoff

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello everyone,

I am thinking about leasing a new 2016 Leaf.

Already got offers from several dealerships.

EDIT: With Nissan and NMAC, one-pay leases are available. At the same time, they do not change anything regarding a credit approval. So if one was not accepted for an appoval with a regular leasing offer, with monthly payments, then Nissan and NMAC will also not give approval to a one-pay lease. Other manufacturers and banks might do it differently. Still that's how it is with Nissan. So there is really is no advantage with Nissan/NMAC to do a one-time lease, IMO any advantage in interest is not worth the extra risk of losing the one-pay amount if the vehicle is totaled etc

EDIT: With Nissan and NMAC, there is either a $395 disposition fee, when not leasing another Nissan vehicle after the end of the term, or a $300 purchase fee, when buying the vehicle. If wanting the buy the lease out early, there is a payoff amount that consists of: remaining monthly payments (if any, there are none with a one-pay lease), $300 purchase fee and the residual (+ sales tax on the residual). The earliest point one is able to do the payoff is after the 1st payment is processed by Nissan. Not the payment that is due at signing, but the first regular payment. That first payment is due after 30 days, so that might indicate that after 1 month, one could theoretically already buy out the vehicle. There is no extra "early buyout" fee or penalty.

Maybe this information I found out might also be helpful for someone else. After all, it might be more beneficial, to lease, and then immediately buy out the vehicle, than to buy it, f.e. in case one does not want to wait to the next tax year to be able to claim the federal tax rebate, or if one is not able to claim that federal tax rebate in full etc.

Sorry Newbie, don't have the answers you're looking for, but would love to hear details of the several lease offers you have in-hand from dealers if you wouldn't mind sharing. Am also looking to do a lease on a 2016 (SV w/ Premium), as my 2013 lease concludes in August. Thanks!

EngravEER said:
Sorry Newbie, don't have the answers you're looking for, but would love to hear details of the several lease offers you have in-hand from dealers if you wouldn't mind sharing. Am also looking to do a lease on a 2016 (SV w/ Premium), as my 2013 lease concludes in August. Thanks!

Nissan/NMAC doesn't have national offers, but they vary by region. In MA, recent lease offers (including sales tax, all fees etc) I got where $329/mo with $299 due at signing for a SV without premium package, 3 years with 12K/year. And then at a 2nd dealership $299/mo with $299 due at signing for 2016 SV without premium package, which then the 1st dealership said they would match. This was before the $2,500 check in the mail, that you still get from the state of MA after 2 months. In CT, the offers included a $3,000 state EV incentive, that can be applied directly to the leasing rates, so you have to add about $80/mo to be able to compare it to other states. I was offered $277/mo with $299 due at signing, for 12k mi/yr for 3 years for a 2016 SV without premium package, which is still more than in MA if one adds the +$80/mo back into it, bringing it to $357/mo.

Now I am curious what lease offers are like in West Virginia. :)

Newbie said:
Maybe this information I found out might also be helpful for someone else. After all, it might be more beneficial, to lease, and then immediately buy out the vehicle, than to buy it, f.e. in case one does not want to wait to the next tax year to be able to claim the federal tax rebate, or if one is not able to claim that federal tax rebate in full etc.

Interesting take indeed. Didn't think about it from that angle as it does not apply to me, neither did I have a desire to purchase a Gen 1 Leaf but yes this may be really helpful for some folks.

EngravEER said:
Am also looking to do a lease on a 2016 (SV w/ Premium), as my 2013 lease concludes in August. Thanks!

Have you asked Nissan if they will allow a lease extension for another year? This would help you choose between Gen 2 and Bolt at that time (or get a really good deal on any leftover 2016 Leaf).

Back