I'm looking to take over someone's lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hybridbear

I have been driving a Ford Focus Electric for the last few years. I acquired that car by taking over someone else's lease. I'm hoping to find someone with 6-9 months remaining only on their lease. My Focus Electric lease ends in about 1 month. I want to get a Model S, but right now we are too close in my mind to the promised before the end of the year autopilot announcement. I don't want to buy a Model S now, only to have Tesla start putting the AP 2.0 hardware in the new cars a few weeks later. I'd rather find a short term lease that will get me though the winter until Tesla reveals exactly what will happen with AP 2.0.

If you are looking to get out of your lease with 6-9 months remaining on it, please send me a PM & we can talk. I don't drive a lot, only about 800 miles per month.

Thank you!!!

Did you find anyone? I'm in kind of the opposite situation. I'd also like to buy a Tesla near the end of the year, but my 3 year lease on my 2015 isn't up until next July.

I was thinking of going ahead with it and the. I could use the Fed and Colorado tax rebates to just buy out my LEAF (with a discount on residual from NMAC). However, none of my kids ever drive anywhere so having an extra car isn't as big of a deal as it seemed before.

Your post has me thinking about lease transfer options. Maybe someone will be looking for a deal like you are around November/December? I wonder if the transfer fee and paperwork is worth it for 6 months?

I didn't. I ended up just ordering a Model S 60D. It should arrive in early September. I'm not sure what I'll do for a car during the approximately 3 week gap I'll have between when my Focus goes back & the Model S arrives. I'm considering extending my Focus lease for a month, but I need to better understand all the fees and costs of that first.

Lease extensions don't usually cost anything extra, beyond paying an extra amount for tax if your state has sales tax on leases and you prepaid the tax for the lease period only. My extra tax is $10 a month.

I wouldn't sublet a car for a few months because of the added risk of the sub-lessee damaging it and then not paying for the damage. In that case the original lessee is liable.

LeftieBiker said:
Lease extensions don't usually cost anything extra, beyond paying an extra amount for tax if your state has sales tax on leases and you prepaid the tax for the lease period only. My extra tax is $10 a month.
I would also need to worry about extending my registration, as that is synced with my lease and expires 8/31. I have an appointment coming up at my local service center to figure out the cost to extend my registration so that I can decide if it is worth it. The additional sales tax for the extra month would be around $20.

LeftieBiker said:
I wouldn't sublet a car for a few months because of the added risk of the sub-lessee damaging it and then not paying for the damage. In that case the original lessee is liable.
Nissan is different than Ford in this respect for taking over leases. I took over the lease for my Focus Electric from someone else & she is no longer responsible for anything related to the vehicle. I understand that Nissan will still hold the original lessee responsible.

Back