Nissan Leaf 2013 SV with 81% SOH

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewying

Here's the info:
Model: Nissan Leaf 2013 SV w/Fast Charger
Miles: 36k
SOH: 81%
AHr: 53.37
Hx: 76.36%
Price: 11k

Would this be considered a good deal? The manufacture date was 02/13

My average commute to work is about 20 miles round trip I have free charging at my apartment.

Thoughts? The battery degradation is pretty standard right? It's not too much.

Thanks!

drewying said:
Thoughts? The battery degradation is pretty standard right? It's not too much.
LeftieBiker said:
The low SOH is bad enough, but the early manufacture date suggests that the car will continue to lose capacity rapidly. I'd pass.
Agree. I'd also pass.

Keep looking. The price is too high for that much degradation, an early build and as equipped. It seems '13s built before ~4/2013 have worse battery degradation than ones afterward. The Georgia heat didn't help and the crappy batteries didn't either.

See my saga at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=432095#p432095. A year argo, I could've gotten a '13 SV w/premium and QC + LED packages for $11K to $11.5K.

The aforementioned used '13 Leaf with 5/2013 build date I still have and here are its current stats taken 30 minutes ago:
AHr = 57.92
SOH = 88%
Hx = 87.36%
odo = 36,192 mi

My used Leaf previously resided somewhere in the Bay Area. Was leased in Santa Clara, CA and serviced there. Was registered w/Saratoga, CA DMV. Of course, I still have all 12 capacity bars, but I wouldn't be surprised if I lose one by the time summer's over.

My niece was interested in a Leaf, she like the low maintenance aspect. I found one for her near Anaheim with 35k miles, built 9/13, and 12 bars showing, listed for $8995. She eventually passed on it, due to the range limitations not fitting her lifestyle.

My 2013 Leaf was a lease return from Georgia. It was manufactured 1/13 and I purchased it March 2015. The SOH was around 89% when I got it. It dropped the first bar in October 2015 and the second bar in June 2016. The SOH was at 73% on June 24th.

baustin said:
My 2013 Leaf was a lease return from Georgia. It was manufactured 1/13 and I purchased it March 2015. The SOH was around 89% when I got it. It dropped the first bar in October 2015 and the second bar in June 2016. The SOH was at 73% on June 24th.
You being in Vegas really cooked those batteries, considering how crazy hot it gets there during the summer and stays hot at night (e.g. 100 to 110 F in the day and still 90 F at night). And, it doesn't help that you have batteries from an early build, which seem no better than batteries in '11 an '12 Leafs.

I shudder if I ever catch my batteries rising to 90 F or above...

cwerdna said:
baustin said:
You being in Vegas really cooked those batteries, considering how crazy hot it gets there during the summer and stays hot at night (e.g. 100 to 110 F in the day and still 90 F at night). And, it doesn't help that you have batteries from an early build, which seem no better than batteries in '11 an '12 Leafs.

I shudder if I ever catch my batteries rising to 90 F or above...

I have a dirt parking spot underneath some pine trees, and only charge in the middle of the night. The last couple weeks, the nightly low has stayed in the mid-80's or higher. The temp bars have never been in the red, but it is common to see 8 after being in a parking lot for a while. The battery temp was 104 when I checked the SOH in June. At this rate of degradation, I expect to have a new battery sometime next year (I am hoping for a move to a cooler climate sometime after that).

^^^
Yeah, hope you end up getting a free replacement battery within the capacity warranty period.

On hot days (when it gets to above ~85 F or so), I park in underground parking in a building that's not near where I work... it takes maybe 10 minutes to walk there and to my spot. The underground parking isn't air conditioned, but by the time I return to my car at the end of the day, which is usually charging via L1 there, the average battery temp is usually in the high 70s, like 78 to 79 F.

When I return home, I leave my car outside for several hours to let it cool off. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get the batts to below 74 F before I drive it into the garage.

Last night, I'd left my car out all night and drive it in around 7 am. Batts were down to ~65 F.

I'm lucky that I don't drive much. Between watching the temp bars on my Leaf, and the temp sensor readout I have for the area on top of the (Leaf cell) pack in my scooter, if I had to drive daily in Summer I'd probably be down a bar. As it is I can wait for both packs to cool off.

Back