Signing for this lease deal later today- HELP!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalachiConstant

I'm new to leasing, and got some great info. from this forum.
I shopped some quotes around, and here is the deal I've been offered. I'm signing today (4 hours from now), so any advice would be wonderful! I' don't know what a lot of these things mean, so if anything in particular jumps out, please let me know. THANK YOU!

Here's what I understand:
2016 Leaf S in Gray
Term: 24 months
$1,100 down (including first month's payment)
23 additional payments at $169.99/month

Here's what's on the breakdown sheet:
MSRP: $32,495.00
L.E.V. Rt/Amt: 35.00% $11,373.25
Term: 24
Money Factor: .00003
Selling Price: $28,004.02
Rebate: $11,625.00
Cash Cap Reduction: $545.61
Total Cap Reduction: 13.170.61
NISC: $29,401.65
NISG: 1,397.67
B&O TAX: .4710% $131.90
Maint Plan (W):
After Market (W):
Capped Fees (W): $600.50
Total Taxes (W): $131.90
Adjusted Cap Cost: $15,433.91
Lic/Reg Upfrt (W): $250.00
Upfront Fees (W): $2.50
Amount Due At Start: $1,100.00
Cash Collected: $1,100.00
Working Cash (W): $13,725.00
First Payment Date: 09/25/16
WA Tax Credit Schedule: 3
Base Monthly Rental: $169.99
Total Monthly Payment: $169.99
One Pay (Y/N)/Amt: N

Not a bad deal. Here are the things you need to consider before signing:

* Climate. If you will need to run the heat regularly, the S will get much lower range whenever you do that. Unlike the SV and SL, the S uses lots of power to provide heat under all conditions.

* Charging. I see no mention of the Charge Package, so unless they changed things for 2016, the car has a slow 3.3kw onboard charger. If you will be relying on home charging, especially at 120 volts, this won't matter a lot. It will, however, make "opportunity charging" while away a much less rewarding activity, with the car only charging half as fast as a SV, SL, or S with Charge Package and 6.6kw charger.

* Range. The SV and SL both got a significantly larger battery pack for 2016, making the EPA estimated range 107 miles. The S will have the same range as earlier years, about 83 miles when new, with no heat. This is about 50 miles with heat.

In short, if you need an EV for a short commute, or a medium one (say 40 miles round trip) with little use of the heater, the S is fine. If you need heat and/or more range, try for an SV with no option packages. That would give you the heat pump heater, the larger pack, and the telematics that let you control the climate control and charging systems remotely.

Thanks for the helpful response!
I have a home charger at my apartment community that I can use for free.
I rarely ever drive more than 25 miles in a day.
This one comes with 'Quick Charge.' Is that what you're referring to?

Based on your previous posts (25 mi daily, WA state, four dealers around you), I'm assuming Seattle area. This should work just fine for you because of the low distances. As Leftie said, the S has the energy-hogging heater, so you will see a 20-50% reduction in range in winter, especially with the wet in Seattle. There have been many people complain about this for the 2011-2012 Leafs (lots of condensation on the INSIDE of the windshield, which required the use of defrost and using 4-5 KW of power). However, the S is a very popular model (probably due to the lower cost). Since you're leasing, this will help you learn more about EV driving for a few years. When the lease is up, you can decide what things you want. Personally, I would go with one of the higher trim levels to get the more efficient heat pump, leather, all around cameras, cruise control, etc. These things have changed dramatically since 2011, so I'm not really sure what options come with each trim level. The only piece of advice I have is to choose your dealership carefully, since you may need to charge there. Bellevue Nissan has EIGHT Chademo DCQCs and is very pro-EV. I would highly suggest that you consider them, just for the ability to charge. Otherwise, lease from a dealership that is in the direction you normally travel (e.g., Magic in Everett if you travel north, Younker, Fife, Auburn if you travel south, Bellevue if you travel east, etc.).

This one comes with 'Quick Charge.' Is that what you're referring to?

Yes, this will let you both use QC stations to get back to 80% charge in 30 minutes, and will also charge faster at regular Level 2 charging stations. With a 25 mile drive, you should be fine with the S, as long as you don't need to operate the climate control or charging remotely.

Don't let the dealership add any "maintenance package" at the last minute! Those are a waste of money for the Leaf, and get quick cash for the dealer.

UPDATE- I went in to sign, and all of the S models were gone. I was really unhappy since we had an appointment & they could have called and told me. In the end though, I settled on the SV for $1,100 down (including first month's payment) and $207/month on a 24-month lease.
The salesman tried to tell me 'we're actually losing money on this deal, but I want to help you out' (right...), but for the additional features I feel like I got a great deal.
Thanks for the input.

I went in to lease an S in 2013, not knowing about the heater. I was saved by the fact that in 2013 the S did not have cruise control available, and I needed it because of health issues. After 6 hours there they "found" me my silver SV, with no QC (which our area has yet to get) but with Premium Package. I was very lucky, and you will feel the same in the long run. The S is a fine EV, but it shouldn't be sold anyplace where there is an actual Winter. You now have a true 100 mile range EV, and won't have to wince whenever you switch on the heat.

Congrats. That pencils out to about $6K out of pocket for two years lease on what would normally be a $20K purchase after all incentives and tax credit. Not bad. that is about what I would expect my purchased SV to depreciate by in two years if I wanted to sell it.

I rented a 2015 S from Bellevue Nissan for three days before deciding. It was a fine car. I wanted the larger battery pack with longer capacity warranty since I was purchasing. SV also has a better sound system, touch-screen navi, alloy wheels, and telematics. The heat pump is a perfect match for our climate. I just leave the climate control on Auto most of the time, unless I have the windows down to enjoy some open air driving.

MalachiConstant said:
UPDATE- I went in to sign, and all of the S models were gone. I was really unhappy since we had an appointment & they could have called and told me. In the end though, I settled on the SV for $1,100 down (including first month's payment) and $207/month on a 24-month lease.
The salesman tried to tell me 'we're actually losing money on this deal, but I want to help you out' (right...), but for the additional features I feel like I got a great deal.
Thanks for the input.

Would you mind sharing which dealer you went to? I am in Kirkland, and Kirkland Nissan's offer for SV on a 24 month lease is coming upto $7200. Just so I can check website of your dealer to see what they are advertising. Thanks.

Back