Nissan Leaf leasing in SF bay area -- confusing multiple add-on fees

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shop2order

Hello Friends,

I am talking to multiple dealership in SF bay area for leasing 2016 Nissan Leaf (S trim). I have received detailed quotes from a few. Looking at the details, I am not sure if I agree will all the add-on fees provided in the quote. I don't see such fees discussed in the forums here. Could you please comment on the quote below and suggest me which fees I can negotiate to cancel or reduce with the dealership.

Market Value 32,000
Discount Savings -2,800
Vehicle Selling Price 29,200
Total Cap 29,200
Down/Cash Cap Reduction -2,500
Rebate Savings -13,625 (Not sure if the CA $2,500 rebate is included or not in this)
Net Cap 13,075

Base Payment 114.97
Monthly Tax 10.06
36 Month Payment 125.03

Down/Cash Cap Reduction 2,500
Document Prep Fee 80 (Can this be removed?)
License / Title 329
Tire/Battery/VTR Fee 8.75
Acquisition Fee 595 (Can this be removed?)
Tax on Collected Items 1,417.94 (Can this be removed?)
1st Payment 125.03
Due On Delivery 5,055.72

Rate 0.00003
Annual Miles 12,000
Residual % [32,000] 28 % (Not sure what 32,000 means here. Is the residual based on 32k miles though I am offered 12k x 3 =36k miles)
Residual Amount 8,960 (This seems to be low; I have seem quotes of 11k in other posts in this forum)

License / Title 329 That's gouging.

Tire/Battery/VTR Fee 8.75 ???

Acquisition Fee 595 (Can this be removed?) It doesn't hurt to try.

Tax on Collected Items 1,417.94 (Can this be removed?) If they are charging tax in the lease payment, they shouldn't be charging it up front as well. Get this one explained.

LeftieBiker said:
License / Title 329 That's gouging.

Tire/Battery/VTR Fee 8.75 ???
Re: the 1st item, I don't recall typical California amounts but see http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html under Average DMV fees.

Re: tire fee, see http://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/ca_tire_fee_faq.htm and http://www.boe.ca.gov/sptaxprog/ca_tire_fee.htm.

I would put $0 down on the lease. If the car gets totaled, you'll get nothing back. Better to have higher monthly payments and pay more on interest than to risk extra $ for no reason.

I found https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleFees.do, but haven't used it until today. If you want a county, city and state, try Santa Clara County, city Other then 95136 (a zip in San Jose).

If I put in new 2016, electric car for $35K purchase price, the total registration fee is $319.

Thank you all. Your replies are very helpful

While I don't plan to buy at the end of lease, I still would like to understand the implication of a high or a low "Residual Amount" -- Which one is better and should I negotiate on either one at the lease time?

Also, what happens if I happen to damage (and later repair the car using insurance) while I am leasing? Will the dealer charge me a penalty at the end of lease because the car has been in a workshop?

I don't see a disposition fee in this quote. Is it possible that the dealer can ask me to pay it at the end of lease when I return my Leaf?

shop2order said:
Thank you all. Your replies are very helpful

While I don't plan to buy at the end of lease, I still would like to understand the implication of a high or a low "Residual Amount" -- Which one is better and should I negotiate on either one at the lease time?

Also, what happens if I happen to damage (and later repair the car using insurance) while I am leasing? Will the dealer charge me a penalty at the end of lease because the car has been in a workshop?

I don't see a disposition fee in this quote. Is it possible that the dealer can ask me to pay it at the end of lease when I return my Leaf?

The residual is important - especially in your case, with you not wanting to buy the car - because it affects how much you pay in total during the lease. A low residual means high payments, and vice versa. I got a ridiculously high residual on my lease, and was paying $149 a month for an SV with premium Package during the lease's term. I pay $10 more in sales tax on my extensions. Now, though, Nissan tends to fix the residual low, resulting in higher payments and a worse deal for those not wanting to buy the car, and a good deal on buying it (after higher payments) for those who do want to keep the car. I don't know if dealers can adjust the residual to clear out 2016 cars now, so check the residual. if it's about $12k, then that's still the 33% or so Nissan has set.

As long as damage is repaired to meet or exceed NMAC's condition standards, there should be no extra charge when you turn the car in. Make sure the bodyshop understands that they have to meet those standards. We suggest that you wait until near the end of the lease to get minor damage repaired, so you only have to pay once, and usually less than for two separate shop stays.

The turn-in fee is paid at the end of the lease. Nissan waives it if you buy or lease another Nissan. They also waive up to $500 in damage under the same circumstances.

shop2order said:
NMAC sends you a bill for the disposition fee, not the dealer. I of course paid it, since I didn't buy my leased Leaf nor lease another Nissan or Infiniti afterward. (I leased my previous Leaf for 2 years. I own a used one now.)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=432095#p432095 references my saga and residual.

Ron's correct re: residual vs. how much you'll need to pay during the life of your lease.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
If I put in new 2016, electric car for $35K purchase price, the total registration fee is $319.

I paid $60 in 2013.
Well, the Edmunds table for NY says the average DMV fees are $74 vs. CA's $244.

I still think it's gouging, but maybe the state is the major party in doing it there. Ouch.

BTW, my name isn't Ron. It's Michael. ;-)

Just negotiate the final drive off price. Then you don't have to worry about all those fees.

I recently leased a leaf s from première Nissan in Fremont for $2500 drive off and $125 a month for 3 years.

LeftieBiker said:
BTW, my name isn't Ron. It's Michael. ;-)
Whoops... I misread posts and must've confused an answer from Ron. :oops:
cherrytoffee said:
Just negotiate the final drive off price. Then you don't have to worry about all those fees.

I recently leased a leaf s from première Nissan in Fremont for $2500 drive off and $125 a month for 3 years.
I would make the drive off $0, because of what I mentioned. That's what I did when I leased.

When comparing leases, you must compare the entire cost of the lease for its entire life (e.g. down payment (if any) + all payments, fees, etc.) and compare to an identical car w/the same terms (length and allowed miles). I wouldn't just negotiate drive off price alone.

It does seem that dealers will give more when they get some sort of down payment. I suggest that people get the $0 down best offer, then ask the dealer to recalculate it with, say. $1k down. Or whatever amount you feel that you can gamble with, to get a better deal in return for more risk. Don't make a big down payment, though! That's like opening an umbrella in an electrical storm.

Back