gmikol

Is NMAC still doing lease extensions?

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:25 pm

Anybody know if NMAC is still offering lease extensions?

I have a '13 SV that's coming up to the end of a 36 mo. lease at the end of the year. With no word on Leaf 2.0, Model 3 still at least a year beyond the end of my lease, and Bolt just barely being into volume production by then (and who knows how widely it will be distributed, initially), it doesn't seem like a good time to try and get anything new right now. I initially did 36 mo. because I thought I would have more options by the time the lease was up compared to 24 mo.

I suppose I could buy the lease out, but the offer I got from NMAC was only for $3000 off, and that doesn't seem worth it, either. So I'm left with just extending the lease, unless someone else out there has a better idea...

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: Is NMAC still doing lease extensions?

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:55 pm

One problem w/extending beyond 36 months is that your basic warranty is gone by then. And, you might need new tires again...

You could buy a used Leaf for cheap, instead of extending. That's what I did when my 2 year lease ran out near end of July 2015.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:16 am

Last I knew, NMAC was now extending all leases (on request) up to 4 years from in service date. If you have a high payment, Cwerdna's idea might be a good one, especially for a used Leaf with a warranty. If you have a low payment, I suggest you extend the lease and, if you want, get a one year warranty extension from...arrgh, I can't remember the name, but it's a Nissan dealership in CA that offers good prices on warranties. It's in the End of Lease Options topic.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

gmikol

Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:12 am

I opted for zero down, so my payments aren't super-low, but they're reasonable. ($278/mo.)

I shouldn't need new tires (again)...I put new ones on at the beginning(-ish) of this year. At the time, planned on keeping the Leaf long-term. Am now re-considering that decision, in favor of something with a bit more range.

Thanks for the reminder about warranty (and the tip about the extended...)

If NMAC ups the offer for buyout to something like $5k or higher, I might reconsider...I think it might have been @DaveInOlyWa mentioned something about an $8k offer (can't find the post now...)

viethoc
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 20 Sep 2013

Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:11 am

As of today, September 14, Nissan would NOT extend the 2013 S Model I have. The only option is to purchase the car with $4500 incentive. So I will return the car at the end of this month. YMMV.

powersurge
Delivery Date: 06 Dec 2014

Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:42 am

You wont buy it with $4500 off? What is the buy-out amount at the end of your lease??

gmikol

Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:32 pm

I just got a call from NMAC about end-of-lease stuff. Current offer on my '13 SV / 36 month lease is $4500 off, thru 10/3. No telling what it might be after then. But if the rumors about the Paris auto show prove true, I'm hoping it may push that discount up.

$4500 doesn't seem worth it to me. There are used '13 SV's in my area selling for sub-10K (with QC), so NMAC is going to have to do better than that (more like $6k) if they don't want the car back in a few months.

Guy also said that there was no lease extension program available (at this moment). That could always change come 10/3 as well.

LeftieBiker

Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:11 pm

Guy also said that there was no lease extension program available (at this moment). That could always change come 10/3 as well.

NMAC pulls this Crap all the time, saying "no extensions!" one month, then offering them again the next. I almost bought a 2015 SV last December because I was told that, but I'm now on my fourth year of a two year lease, because luckily the 2015 turned out to have lot damage.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

gmikol

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:35 am

Yeah...I'm going to be keeping a close eye on on this, and will definitely check back in after 10/3 to see what new offers NMAC has.

My lease ends at the end of the year, and I'd really like to extend for a while to see how Bolt initial production and deliveries go, any possible Leaf 2.0 announcements, and more details on the Model 3.

Feeling a little hamstrung by the range of the '13, and the '16 doesn't offer enough extra to make a difference...

LeftieBiker

Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:03 am

I'm seriously considering leasing or buying a loaded 2016 SV if the price is right and they can find the color(s) I want. I want more range, but 100 miles is all I really *need* and if I get one for $200 a month it's covered under my household's budget - no out of pocket for me.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”