NMAC charging $900 for EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msandeep

I got my 2013 Leaf inspected prior to end of lease. The inspection was at my work place and I had forgotten the EVSE at home. The inspector put down about $850 as missing equipment but said if I put the EVSE back upon return to dealer, they will remove the charge.

Well, when I went to the dealer (with EVSE in its bag), they didn't even look at the car, told me to leave the keys and didn't even provide any receipt. This was more than a month ago.

Today I got a statement from NMAC that has a charge of about $850 + tax for the "missing" item. I've contacted the dealer but so far they've not been any forthcoming.

If I don't pay, the letter says, it'll go to collection.

Anybody faced a similar situation? I have tried calling NMAC in the past, but nobody ever picks up the phone. What can I do to avoid this $900 (including tax) charge?

This illustrates why dealers don't do the pre-turn-in inspection. You should have gotten them to give you a receipt with the EVSE noted as being present. Now you may have to track down the car again.

Last week I got a hold of them, but only after two calls with a recording that everyone was in a meeting. Must be a small department or a big meeting! Try them again.
I took lots of photos when I turned in my last leased car, hopefully you took some.

I had a similar situation with my Volt turn in, the second fob wasn't present at the time of the inspection, so it was noted as missing on the report for a charge of $75 if it wasn't turned in with the car. Of course we did turn in both fobs and it was noted on the paperwork at turn in. (One might ask what good a fob would be for a car you no longer have, but I guess you can sell them on eBay, and that may be some people's mindset)

Whether it's a fob or an evse, it's kind of silly to be accounting for the presence of these items at inspection time vs when the car is turned in. If you had the evse at the inspection you probably could have turned the car in without it and nobody would have noticed. I had my LEAF inspection three weeks before I turned it in, the dealer didn't even seem to look at the car other than the odometer at turn in. It's like they don't even consider the reality a lot of damage can be done to a vehicle in three weeks. For that matter I wondered what would have happened if the car was damaged after I turned it in... all the uncertainty left me averse to leasing in the future.

you are required to sign the lease return inspection. why sign it when you know you are turning in the EVSE? I was in the same situation and simply told the guy I had it and he didn't write it in. Same with manuals (although I forgot to turn them in but they were non chargeable anyway which is nice considering they were like $200 :shock: )

on my 2013 which was not inspected before turning it in, I was billed for a windshield replacement for a sprite that was less than an inch in diameter. I went online and disputed the charge and they removed it. I would suggest you do the same.

How did you dispute the online statement? I don't see any option to dispute a charge. The only options are:

- End of Lease Experience
- Inspection results
- Liability Statement
- Pay Liability
- End of Lease FAQ (which conveniently does not have any question related to disputes)

DaveinOlyWA said:
you are required to sign the lease return inspection. why sign it when you know you are turning in the EVSE? I was in the same situation and simply told the guy I had it and he didn't write it in. Same with manuals (although I forgot to turn them in but they were non chargeable anyway which is nice considering they were like $200 :shock: )

on my 2013 which was not inspected before turning it in, I was billed for a windshield replacement for a sprite that was less than an inch in diameter. I went online and disputed the charge and they removed it. I would suggest you do the same.

msandeep said:
How did you dispute the online statement? I don't see any option to dispute a charge. The only options are:

- End of Lease Experience
- Inspection results
- Liability Statement
- Pay Liability
- End of Lease FAQ (which conveniently does not have any question related to disputes)

DaveinOlyWA said:

you see "no feedback" option whatsoever? I can't remember a bill of any kind that did not have a method to dispute a bill anywhere.... call them if you have to

There's a "Contact us" section with phone numbers and addresses. As I mentioned earlier, it's extremely difficult to talk to someone at NMAC.
I'm mailing in letter to one of the addresses. Let's see what happens.

DaveinOlyWA said:
you see "no feedback" option whatsoever? I can't remember a bill of any kind that did not have a method to dispute a bill anywhere.... call them if you have to

msandeep said:
There's a "Contact us" section with phone numbers and addresses. As I mentioned earlier, it's extremely difficult to talk to someone at NMAC.
I'm mailing in letter to one of the addresses. Let's see what happens.

DaveinOlyWA said:

my experience was 3 years ago so I don't remember exact details but I pretty much never do anything by mail if I can help it. I notice they have a chat line (with limited hours I am guessing) I think that is how I did it.

FYI; the reason I didn't have my EVSE for the inspection was because... well, because I didn't have one yet. But did get one a few days later. I had the bag hanging there full of stuff but he opened it... bummer... but it ok, it worked out.

FYI; the inspection is NOT the final word. They can add charges at a later date and guessing they only need a reminder to remove this charge you have. I noticed my last payment due date was bumped several weeks. Guessing that was to allow for any "add ons"

Just found this thread and was curious how it turned out? I had my pre-inspection today and forgot my charger at home (because frankly I didn't think about it and leave it at home every day!). The inspector said the same thing as yours did, and now i'm nervous about it.

Back