Neurosion

2013 Leaf SL, should I buy?

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:16 am

Hi all,

I've been coveting the Leaf since 2011. Was planning to hold out another year before buying, but my old Civic unexpectedly failed. Looking forward to joining this community earlier than expected. :D

I was all set to buy a certified pre-owned 2013 SL with 12 bars and premium package for $9k. While verifying all the features I realized it does not in fact have the premium package as the salesman claimed. Despite this the dealership won't budge on the price.

Now I'm hesitating. Is the car still a good deal at $9k? Am I likely to find one with the premium package for a similar price if I keep searching? I'd really like to have the AroundCam, but the lowest price I see on Carfax or Carmax for an SL with confirmed premium package is $10.5k.

Would appreciate any advice!

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Re: 2013 Leaf SL, should I buy?

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 pm

The SV without Premium is definitely worth less than the ones with it. They are the last non-S cars to sell. I'd try for some kind of discount, or maybe a dirt cheap extended warranty (Try Nissan's Gold Preferred, and insist on $500, no more). Failing that, it really depends on how much you want Premium (four cameras and the Bose stereo upgrade). If you definitely want it, you'll regret not getting it. If it's just the salescreature's dishonesty that's bugging you, make them pay for it.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Nagorak
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 417128

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:30 pm

How does the mileage compare to those other Leafs? If it has fewer miles and more capacity bars that could account for the difference.

It is possible to swap out the stereo and speakers, although you may lose some of the features such as the backup camera. It might be something worth looking into, although in that case you probably would be better off dropping down to an S.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Speaking of backup cameras, this was actually just an option in 2013. So if it doesn't have Premium, make sure it at least has a backup camera.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

Durandal
Delivery Date: 22 Sep 2016
Leaf Number: 025018

Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:23 pm

$9k for a 2013 SL seems a bit much, even with 12 bars. I'd walk away, and see if they come crawling back. I originally was going to buy my 2012 SL for $8k, I walked away after initially being excited, the dealership offered it to me for $6k a week later.
Pulled the trigger on going EV on 10/2016 with a 2012 Leaf, and a Tesla Model 3 reservation expected to receive in June 2018.

annabel398
Delivery Date: 01 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 424858

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Neurosion wrote:Hi all,

I've been coveting the Leaf since 2011. Was planning to hold out another year before buying, but my old Civic unexpectedly failed. Looking forward to joining this community earlier than expected. :D

I was all set to buy a certified pre-owned 2013 SL with 12 bars and premium package for $9k. While verifying all the features I realized it does not in fact have the premium package as the salesman claimed. Despite this the dealership won't budge on the price.

Now I'm hesitating. Is the car still a good deal at $9k? Am I likely to find one with the premium package for a similar price if I keep searching? I'd really like to have the AroundCam, but the lowest price I see on Carfax or Carmax for an SL with confirmed premium package is $10.5k.

Would appreciate any advice!

If you have this claim in writing, I think it should be very easy indeed to get a lower price. (This, btw, is why I always print out the online description of a vehicle before going to see it in person.) Mention your state attorney general's office, and you should be good to go.
Nissan Leaf SV with QC/LED | manufactured December 2013
11 bars, dropped the first at 30.300 miles | located in Austin, TX

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:57 pm

I'd be more interested in where in the 12 bars of capacity the battery lives.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Nagorak
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 417128

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:04 am

Nagorak wrote:How does the mileage compare to those other Leafs? If it has fewer miles and more capacity bars that could account for the difference.

It is possible to swap out the stereo and speakers, although you may lose some of the features such as the backup camera. It might be something worth looking into, although in that case you probably would be better off dropping down to an S.

Just as a follow-up, I looked into it more and it does look like you can swap out the stereo. With proper adapters you should be able to maintain all functionality including backup camera, etc. I intend to eventually do this with my own Leaf, but probably not until I have some more free time.

cwerdna
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 am

Nagorak wrote:
Nagorak wrote:...

Just as a follow-up, I looked into it more and it does look like you can swap out the stereo. With proper adapters you should be able to maintain all functionality including backup camera, etc. I intend to eventually do this with my own Leaf, but probably not until I have some more free time.

I don't think you want to do that.

Buying an OEM headunit w/nav is VERY expensive. The OEM head unit on an SV or SL has the nav and integration w/the climate control and various EV specific displays (e.g. stuff via the Zero Emissions button). Swap it to a non-Leaf one and there goes all of that.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

OP: What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?

I think Sage is asking where the vehicle in question has resided. See via Carfax and/or Autocheck. Having resided in hot climates = greater capacity loss. And, if it's from a hot climate w/all 12 capacity bars showing, it's possible it's the victim of a BMS reset and didn't actually have all 12.

'13 blue Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 blue Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 am

@Cwerdna, I was just pointing out that '12 bars' leaves an uncertainty of up to 15% of useful range.

Does a BMS reset affect the LEAFspy report ?
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”