Leafspy v Dealer report

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bongo2

I haven't bought a OBDII adapter yet so it will be a little while before I can get information out of Leafspy. If I'm buying from a dealer can they give me good information about the battery status (like the max Ah), or should I just go off the number of bars, or should I not even think about buying a used Leaf without spending the $ and waiting for my OBDII to make sure the battery is OK?

That or just assume a 12 bar Leaf is basically an 11 bar Leaf and a 11 bar Leaf is basically a 10 bar. The dealer won't probably know anything other than if it's missing a bar or not, and even that some don't seem to know....

Thanks! Is Leafspy highly recommended even on a barely used (say <1yr old) Leaf, or are you pretty safe there?

bongo2 said:
Thanks! Is Leafspy highly recommended even on a barely used (say <1yr old) Leaf, or are you pretty safe there?
Your more safe in that case but you still don't know how long it's sat around at 100%(worst thing for the battery especially during hot times) or now often the previous owner topped off(charged to 100% when it was only down to 90%, etc.) which is also hard on the battery.
It's possible a <1 year old Leaf could have a battery at almost 100% health but it's also possible it could be at 90% or even less, you just don't know.
Note just for testing you don't need the full-fledged $20 LeafSpy program, the free one(LeafSpy lite) will tell you things like battery health and Ahr, it just won't be as full featured as the pay program and also you don't need to spend a ton for the OBDII adapter, my BT version only cost $12 and works fine, I believe the Apple WiFi versions start closer to $20.

annabel398 said:
OR, if you wanted to share your location, possible a member here who has the equipment already could help you out...
I agree it's nice to have that listed under the profile but it looks like from the users first post they live in my neck of the woods, MN(probably MSP??). I'd certainly borrow them my BT adapter, I don't use it all the time, I live in the South metro, if interested the OP could PM me. Note it's a BT adapter so it will only work with non iPhone smart phones.
This is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think in another thread the OP was asking about iPhone OBDII adapters which AFAIK would also work with Android phones, just not the other way around.

Thanks I'll update my profile!

That's a great recommendation on the OBDII - I'll pick one up.

definitely get a leaf spy, I am looking right now and checked out two 2013 SLs one with 85% battery and one with 92%, first had 38k miles, second 34k miles. big difference because one was CA car and one was WA car.

Back