Rate my test drive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bongo2

I test drove a 2013 SL with about 40,000 miles from a private party yesterday. The car looked very well taken care of, but they bought it used a couple years ago so no idea where it came from before that (if I decide to buy I'll have to pull the carfax, but I haven't done that yet). I don't have an OBDII adapter for Leafspy so I can't get the good battery info yet either (I'm still learning!)

1. The battery bars are only 10/12. Is that kind of low for a 2013 or pretty normal? A lot of people around here seem to have 11 or 12, but maybe they take better care of their Leaf than the average driver?

2. I drove about 12 miles in 35 F on wet roads and it went from 97% charge to 65% charge. That seems like a lot of drain on the battery. Now, I was probably driving a little bit harder than I would normally, but it still makes me nervous how the range would be in a couple of years with an older battery if its really cold out.

The Nav system has a cool screen that gives you a lot of information about the battery usage and where the energy is being used. Is this something you can find on an S model, just not from the center screen? Does Leafspy give you similar information? Is it actually useful, or just fun for the first few times you drive it?

Check the driver's door jam for the built date. Leafs built 3/13 and earlier have the old battery so 10/12 is expected. 4/13 and later will have the newer battery and you should expect 12/12.

For a 10 bar Leaf thats about what I'd expect, yes LeafSpy gives you everything and more what the dash of the SL does, the S gives very little battery info, basically just SOC.
As noted pre 4/'13 Leafs have the older battery which is noted for deteriorating faster than later batteries. For used Leafs look for the best battery, mileage doesn't mean as much as battery degradation.

OK, this one was built 1/13, which I guess means I should move on. Unless I want to treat it like crap and hope it drops to 8/12 in the next year to get the new battery :D

If the battery dropped from 97% to 65% in 12 miles, does that mean that it would drop to 0% in 36 miles, or is it non-linear?

bongo2 said:
OK, this one was built 1/13, which I guess means I should move on. Unless I want to treat it like crap and hope it drops to 8/12 in the next year to get the new battery :D

If the battery dropped from 97% to 65% in 12 miles, does that mean that it would drop to 0% in 36 miles, or is it non-linear?
Yes it's pretty linear, thats what I'd expect, about 36 miles under those same conditions, or about what I get with my '12 2 bar loser at times. Unless you live in a very hot climate I'd probably not gamble on the battery lottery but thats your call. It's 5 years from the date first sold, not the mfg. date.

Leafs built from April 2013 on have the newer chemistry, while those built before 4/2013 have the old chemistry. I drive one built in April 2013, and after almost 4 years it still has 12 bars.

Back