Great deal on a 2016 SV ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlins02

I'm seriously thinking about buying or leasing a Leaf. Leasing a 2016 or 2017 was the initial plan. I've also considered buying a pre-owned 2013-2015 model. Today I saw what looks like a great deal on a 2016 SV (no premium package) through the Mass Energy Drive Green program (https://www.massenergy.org/drivegreen). I just spoke with someone at Milford Nissan about their offer, shown here:

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/260434/drivegreen/PDF/Drive%20Green%20with%20Mass%20Energy%20Nissan%20LEAF%20SV.pdf

MSRP: $35,240
Includes: Destination & Marketing Fees, Splash Guards
Drive Green Discount: $8,700
Dealer Price After Discount: $26,540
MOR-EV State Rebate*: $2500
Federal Tax Credit Eligibility**: $7500
Final Drive Green Price: $16,540
Finance Requirement: Yes: NMAC: 0% APR x 72 months available
Expiration Date: 1/31/2017

I was told I qualify for $600 additional discount available to qualifying college faculty. Not including tax and dealer fees, final cost (after rebate/credit) would be $15,940. Does this look like a great deal for a 2016 SV?

The lease offer with this deal is not as attractive IMO. It is $1000 up-front and $265/mo for 36 months. 12k miles per year.

If you qualify for the full tax credit (Nissan doesn't take it and apply it for purchase) and you don't have any real desire for Premium Package, then yes it looks great. Check the build date, though, and run LeafSpy on it.

LeftieBiker said:
If you qualify for the full tax credit (Nissan doesn't take it and apply it for purchase) and you don't have any real desire fore Premium Package, then yes it looks great. Check the build date, though, and run LeafSpy on it.

Yes I'll be able to use the full tax credit. No strong desire for Premium Package's Around View Monitor and Bose 7-speaker audio system.

The nearest 2016 SV w/o Premium Package, not in white, is about 400 miles away. Would need to be shipped here. The dealer rep said we'd split the cost. Running LeafSpy in advance not an option.

I see the cost of Premium Package is ~$1500. There is another 2016 SV w/ Premium Package nearby. It may make sense to see if the dealer can secure that one, if cost of getting the other car delivered exceeds $300-400. Interestingly, last weekend I went to see the nearby car. Offered a total payment not more than $9000 (walk off $$$ + monthly payment) for a 36 month lease. The manager stuck w/ $9500 and decline to make the sale.

If I decide, soon, that 24 kWh battery (range) is sufficient, I may instead look to buy a 2015 S w/ QC for ~10K.

If you need to get a Leaf without first running leafspy on it, the build date becomes more important. Those built last Summer or sooner are much more likely to have degradation.

I'd call it a good, but not great, price* for two reasons:

1. The dealership should be motivated to move last year's inventory
2. I just bought a late 2013 Model 'S' with a battery in like new condition for $8300. Since I doubt the new car is going to last twice as long as mine the value is not there.

*Unless the offered car is 30 kWh

p.s.: it is a really, really good idea to LeafSpy any car you might buy, used OR new.

rawlins02 said:
I was told I qualify for $600 additional discount available to qualifying college faculty. Not including tax and dealer fees, final cost (after rebate/credit) would be $15,940. Does this look like a great deal for a 2016 SV?

No

http://www.quirknissan.com/new-vehicles/leaf/

Foschas said:
rawlins02 said:

No

http://www.quirknissan.com/new-vehicles/leaf/

You can't compare S prices to SV prices.

Agree that's not a direct comparison.

I just called and was told the Quirk price of ~21K for the S already factors in state rebate and federal tax credit. Has a QC, but still. Doesn't look like a great deal.

Here are details just provided to me on the SV without Premium Package.

35,420 MSRP
- 8,700 MassEnergy group buy discount
598 Dealer&Inspection fees / Lifetime Nitrogen tire fill
1,707 MA sales tax
125 RMV
29,150.37 Total >> 404 per month x 72 @ 0%APR

Minus $2,500 state rebate and $7,500 Fed tax credit = $10,000 back
$29,150.37 minus $10,000 gives a final cost of $19,150.

This is a bit higher than expected, as the vehicle would need to be shipped, which would cost me ~$600.

The Drive green program lists the S30 as eligible, and looks like that car would be $2K lower price. They include 6.6 kW charger and QC package. I'd probably jump at that for ~ 17,000 final cost.

LeftieBiker said:
Just remember than in MA the heater in the S will suck lots of power even in mild weather. And make sure you get lots of those $500 nitrogen tire fills!

I just got off the phone with a salesman. Appears there's an S30 close enough to avoid shipping charge. Cost would be about $2600 less than the SV or around $16,500 including tax and all fees. Thinking about the how much a heat pump and Nav system etc in SV is worth to me.

Before i decide, I may make an offer tomorrow on a 2015 S with QC package and 30,000 miles on it. Located close by and listed at $10,400. If they'll accept $9000 I may go with that rather than a new 2016.

I'd only consider an S if it were 30kwh, in this region.

I've been trying to get a lease price on a 2016 SV with premium that appears to have 17 miles on it...and never been recharged. It's down to 2 charge bars in the picture, with 17 miles also on the GOM. It was built last October, so it's virtually a 2017. Naturally, now that I'm interested, the salescreature hasn't emailed a lease offer.

After having second thoughts about committing to buying new right now, I opted for a 2014 S with Quick Charge package. See how I like the Leaf and EVs in general. Car has 12 bars showing and 36,400 miles. Single owner on 3 yr lease. Driven in this region and has a clean carfax. I paid $8,300. My commute is 12 minutes, by bicycle most days. So no issue there. I'm optimistic that with the QC capability and growing infrastructure around here I'll do fine with this model for a while.

LeftieBiker said:
Don't be upset if/when you lose that first bar soon, and the car should be fine for you.

Ready and able.

Build date was 01/2014. There's 24 months or 23,600 miles left on drivetrain warranty. Pretty clean. Many L2 and QC stations nearby.

I have been watching the new 2016 Leaf S's with 30kw still available near me. One dealer has had several in stock and only one sold during with the 70 mos 0% promotion last month and the vehicle that interests me is down $11,089 to 22,841 with the Included Packages

Charger Package

6.6 kW Onboard Charger
Quick Charge Port
Included Options

Splash Guards
Protection Package
Floor Mats & Cargo Area Mat.

I should have my current car paid off next month, I was thinking of going and trying to score a good deal on 2016 Leaf since 99% of my driving is less than 50 r/t and keep my current vehicle for the occasional longer trips (maybe once every two months or so). How low do you think the dealers will go if they are still on the lot unsold in April?

el0eff said:
How low do you think the dealers will go if they are still on the lot unsold in April?

Hard to say. Maybe under 20K after applying all rebates and tax credits? The $22,841 you mention would be great, if that's the cost before federal and state incentives are applied.

Back