Buying an 8 Bar 2012 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamblinWreck

It looks like there is some benefit to living in a place with awful summers... 8 bar Leafs are pretty prevalent.

I would love some info from others who may have purchased 8 bar leafs (or less) or those who have had their batteries replaced under warranty.

- What is the process pre-purchase to figure out if the car is still included in the 5 year, 60,000 mile degradation warranty?
- What is the process post-purchase to have the battery replaced?
- Are batteries still being replaced with brand new "lizard" batteries or have people just had theirs reconditioned up to 9 bars?
- How are the new batteries holding up in the hot climates? Better than old batteries?
- Any tips on haggling the price down for the limited range before the battery replacement?

Thanks!

RamblinWreck said:
- What is the process pre-purchase to figure out if the car is still included in the 5 year, 60,000 mile degradation warranty?
Call (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738) with the VIN. Ask for in-service date and confirm the car is eligible for the 5 yr 60k mile battery capacity warranty.

RamblinWreck said:
- What is the process post-purchase to have the battery replaced?
Go into the dealer, say you have an 8 bar leaf under battery capacity warranty. They will need it overnight to do a battery test (at least they did for mine). Then they go ahead and order a new battery.

RamblinWreck said:
- Are batteries still being replaced with brand new "lizard" batteries or have people just had theirs reconditioned up to 9 bars?
I am not aware of any battery replacements that have not been new batteries. Fairly sure the amended settlement was for a new battery with heat resistant chemistry, so it would need to be replaced.

RamblinWreck said:
- How are the new batteries holding up in the hot climates? Better than old batteries?
Not really. Mine's down to 58AHr & change after 1 summer.

RamblinWreck said:
- Any tips on haggling the price down for the limited range before the battery replacement?
Try and educate the dealer. Explain that the milage isn't important, only the battery capacity and range. Maybe bring in one of the leaf range charts.

Back