Deciding between 2 Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmrimmer

First off, I am completely new to the Leaf (and EVs in general), but my commute now screams for one. I have about a 14 mile round-trip in the Dallas area. After some looking I've run into the following choices and can't seem to make up my mind. The 2012 is nice just because the brand spanking new battery that was just installed. The 2013 is fully loaded and has many nice upgrades over the 2012 model. I'd appreciate y'alls expertise here on an opinion. Please let me know if both of these deals just suck and I should keep looking.. Here are the cars in question along with their prices:

2012 SL w/ 48k miles and a brand new battery installed a week ago for $7500
vs
2013 SL (w/premium package) w/ 36k miles and 11 bars for $9500

TIA!

LeafSpy the 2012 and if it really does have a new battery capacity of ~ 64 kWh, buy it yesterday if it is otherwise in excellent condition.

Somewhat agree, a new battery costs in excess of $5k, it's like your getting the car for a couple grand!
A '13SV does have several advantages over a '12, better battery(although if the '12 has a new battery it should have the new chemistry), real time SOC% display, much more efficient heat pump heater, ability to turn the heater OFF while still running the fan, double the speed charging(if you have a 30a L2 EVSE), dark interior(if you like that), no constant nag screen everytime you turn the vehicle on for vehicles with NAV, no need to double shift EVERYtime you get in the car to get back into ECO mode(if you like that, I do), B mode for increased regen and probably other things I'm forgetting.
Better things about the '12?? aluminum(or is it mag??) doors, hood and hatch??, possibly better Japan build quality, light interior(if you like that, I don't), maybe a few more I'm forgetting, I much prefer my '13 vs '12 even though the '12 is fully loaded and the '13 is the basic S model(with upgraded charger package) but a new battery kind of trumps all, IMO. Although with your short commute even the '13 should suffice, your choice I guess, the '13 does have lots of advantages too.

grimmrimmer said:
2012 SL w/ 48k miles and a brand new battery installed a week ago for $7500
vs
2013 SL (w/premium package) w/ 36k miles and 11 bars for $9500

TIA!
I would go with the new battery. It's cheaper, it will have more range and no telling how close the 2013 is to being a two bar loser.

If you prefer the '13, make sure it was built no earlier than April of 2013. If it was, it has the old battery chemistry, and you should avoid it. Even if not, the '12 should have the most heat-resistant Leaf battery available. Unless you really want one or more of the specific '13 upgrades, I join the chorus for the '12.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I'll check out the '12 and see how it measures up. I need to catch up on LeafSpy and how to use it before I go out there. :D

I have to admit though, that my suspicious nature wonders why someone would get a new battery for the '12 and then dump it.

SageBrush said:
I have to admit though, that my suspicious nature wonders why someone would get a new battery for the '12 and then dump it.

Best case scenario: they just wanted a Bolt or other longer-range EV, because they used up the pack with a long commute, it qualified for a new one, and they put it up for sale to get the downpayment for a Bolt or Model 3.

Back