Leafer's Advice - Used 2013 S or SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krex

Hi all!

I am new to this group, but not relative to EVs. I previously had a 2012 Volt and now am coming up on the end of a lease on a 2014 BMW i3. I am looking at a used 2013 Leaf for the shortish term until the Bolt EV or Tesla 3 is available and matured. I have been back and forth and am between two vehicles:

2013 S with Quick Charge - 33K miles - 11 bars 54.38 AHr on LeafSpy - $6800
-Paint in good condition
- A/C is not cooling (checked and needs AC recall done)
- 1 month left on 36 month b2b warranty, 2 years left for battery degradation

2013 SV - 37k miles - 11 bars - 53.60 AHr on LeafSpy - $7200
-Paint/exterior has more scratches and wear (have asked for buffing/detailing)
- A/C seems fine
- Has B mode (important to me, since I like one pedal driving)
- 1.5 years left for battery degradation

My initial thoughts were the S since it was short term and exterior better (resale), but my gut is thinking that I'll get more fun out of the SV despite some of the blemishes, and ultimately resale. Ultimately it would be a trade in for the future car, but I would like to keep possible battery degradation and replacement in mind.

Location is Houston.

LeftieBiker said:
Check the build dates for both. If one was made before April of 2013, get the other one. Otherwise I agree that the SV is the better choice.

SV is 07/13 Build
S is 12/13 Build

I've not driven a Leaf with the "B" mode but note on a S Leaf "ECO" gives you quite a bit of regen, allowing one to use one pedal driving on all but quick stops or shorter exits from a freeway.
The SV's heat pump heater might be nice, if not for heating but defrosting.
If you like CC, the S model lacks that, the backup camera is also a fair amount larger and somewhat nicer on the SV/SL models.
Both are decent deals, just depends on what features you might want.

Dooglas said:
jjeff said:
............ the backup camera is also a fair amount larger and somewhat nicer on the SV/SL models.
What backup camera on the 2013 SV?
Isn't it standard on the '13 SV? While not standard on the '13S if you have the somewhat common "charger package" that includes the 6.6kw charger, you also get the backup camera. Maybe the backup camera is tied in with another option on the '13SV? By '14 the backup camera was standard on all Leafs.

no standard backup camera on 13 SV.

OP: Do you have the carfax history of the vehicles? Are they both local? Another variable to consider is which vehicle may more likely qualify for a new battery under warranty,.

The backup camera wasn't even standard on the '13 SL, so make sure any car you look at has one. Premium Package replaces the one (or no) camera with four.

Thank y'all for the responses. I actually took delivery on the 2013 SV last night. It still has 19 months left on the powertrain/battery capacity warranty.

Glad I opted for the SV. It doesn't have the rear view camera but I already have saw a multitude ways of connecting an aftermarket (or OEM) one via some posts on here. Incidentally, my $52k MSRP i3 had sensors but no camera, so I got accustomed to not having one.

Back