Used Leaf prep

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snlj

Hello Everybody,

I'm preparing to purchase my first used Leaf in a couple of weeks. The dealership I'll be going to currently has three in stock:

A 2013 SV with 14,000 miles and Fast Charge for $9,990
Two 2014 SL's with 25,000, 27,000 miles for $13,490 and $12,490 respectively.

I'm leaning more towards one of the SL's because of the features, but it seems, given that all three have Fast Charge, that battery capacity could be a determining factor.

I've ordered a KW902 which will arrive today, so I'll have that all set when I go to look at them.

I'm wondering if folks here can offer suggestions as to what I should be considering when I look at these cars. I'm aware of battery capacity bars, manufacture date, and general condition, but what other things should I be looking at, specifically with LeafSpy? Which factors should I weigh most heavily? Things like that.

Also, if a thread or sticky like this already exists, I'd love to be linked to it so I can read up there too.

Thanks!

Snlj,

Keep in mind that the Nissan leaf has terrible resale value. If you want the 2013 or 2014 because of the 6.6 kW charging I would buy one with higher miles and if the battery is good or needs to be replaced the warranty will reset. Also depending on your climate, you may want a newer model. I have a 2011 Leaf I purchased 2 years ago with 24k miles that had a new battery installed 6 months after purchasing it. I just used the QC a few times and drained the battery down to loose my last bar.

If you are willing to put down almost $15,000 on a used Leaf, I would highly recommend that you do not do this until you price a NEW Leaf... A brand new S leaf would run about 29-30, minus the federal and state rebates, and the Nissan rebates when you get 0% financing.

All those discounts should bring down the price of a NEW Leaf to the $18-20K range, and you would have a beautiful car of your choice with no risk, right from the factory.... Plus, you would have a 17' Leaf with good resale value or many years.

In order to Buy used, I would not spend more than $10k on a 2015 with low miles. In my opinion, a 2011-2013 should only cost $6-8K.

LeftieBiker said:
If you want the 2013 or 2014 because of the 6.6 kWh charging I would buy one with higher miles and if the battery is good or needs to be replaced the warranty will reset.

What?

If that poster is saying that the battery capacity and/or defect warranty start fresh with a new owner, that is not correct.

I think Mrringtone is confused about the warranty of his free replacement battery for his 2011 Leaf. A free replacement traction battery only has a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. If you purchase a new battery you get 60 month/60,000 mile warranty providing it is a 24kWh battery. Anyway... Snlj, I would try to find the best 30 kWh car if you cannot afford the Chevy Bolt. Mind you, we love our two leafs with replacement batteries, but Nissan has so far not had any plans to provide active thermal management on their batteries. In Arizona, that means a much shorter life.

powersurge said:
If you are willing to put down almost $15,000 on a used Leaf, I would highly recommend that you do not do this until you price a NEW Leaf... A brand new S leaf would run about 29-30, minus the federal and state rebates, and the Nissan rebates when you get 0% financing.

All those discounts should bring down the price of a NEW Leaf to the $18-20K range, and you would have a beautiful car of your choice with no risk, right from the factory.... Plus, you would have a 17' Leaf with good resale value or many years.

In order to Buy used, I would not spend more than $10k on a 2015 with low miles. In my opinion, a 2011-2013 should only cost $6-8K.

Thanks for the advice!

I've looked at new Leafs (starting at around $30,000) and the available rebates (around $5,000 between federal and state), and I don't think I can afford it at this time.

I'm aiming to only get a 2013 or newer. While $15,000 is a little more than I'd wanted to spend, I can be fine with it if it's the right car.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Snlj said:
Hello Everybody,

I'm preparing to purchase my first used Leaf in a couple of weeks. The dealership I'll be going to currently has three in stock:

A 2013 SV with 14,000 miles and Fast Charge for $9,990
Two 2014 SL's with 25,000, 27,000 miles for $13,490 and $12,490 respectively.

I'm leaning more towards one of the SL's because of the features, but it seems, given that all three have Fast Charge, that battery capacity could be a determining factor.

I've ordered a KW902 which will arrive today, so I'll have that all set when I go to look at them.

I'm wondering if folks here can offer suggestions as to what I should be considering when I look at these cars. I'm aware of battery capacity bars, manufacture date, and general condition, but what other things should I be looking at, specifically with LeafSpy? Which factors should I weigh most heavily? Things like that.

Also, if a thread or sticky like this already exists, I'd love to be linked to it so I can read up there too.

Thanks!

you really need to post your location

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2017/02/used-nissan-leaf-buyers-guide.html

DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks! I hadn't come across this page yet.

I'm in Wisconsin.

EDIT:

Thank you for documenting all of this information!! Seriously, you're a wealth of knowledge!

It doesn't work with all EVs (don't try it with a Bolt!) but you can use a good lease deal as a way to drive, and then eventually buy, a new Leaf. You lease for 3 years with about $2k down, then you can buy the car for roughly $13k when the lease ends. 2017 leases are high, but leftover 2016 deals are out there.

Snlj said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks! I hadn't come across this page yet.

I'm in Wisconsin.

EDIT:

Thank you for documenting all of this information!! Seriously, you're a wealth of knowledge!

You are welcome! I was posting to about 15 different EV sites but something happened to my script and now it doesn't work anymore so I only manually post now and I think I only did like 4 or 5 for this one.

There are other things to consider like range, down the road plans, etc. but assuming you have all that figured out, this is a good start!

mrringtone said:
Keep in mind that the Nissan leaf has terrible resale value. If you want the 2013 or 2014 because of the 6.6 kWh charging...
Charging rate/speed and power is measured in kW, NOT kWh.

Battery capacity and energy are measured in kWh. '11 thru '15 Leafs come with a 24 kWh battery with about 21-22 kWh usable when new.

Snlj said:
powersurge said:

Thanks for the advice!

I've looked at new Leafs (starting at around $30,000) and the available rebates (around $5,000 between federal and state), and I don't think I can afford it at this time.

I'm aiming to only get a 2013 or newer. While $15,000 is a little more than I'd wanted to spend, I can be fine with it if it's the right car.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Hi again,

I just checked and if you bought a brand new Leaf for... Say.. $30k, you would get back $7,500 in Federal Taxes AND $4000 ("CAPTIVE CASH BACK"= rebate) from Nissan for financing the car. PLUS, you would get 0% financing on the full price of the car for 72 months.

SO - You would be paying $18,500 (pre tax) and no money down, free financing for 6 years... I think this is much smarter than a 2013-14 for$14,500????

i would never buy a NEW leaf. I would lease from new so I could get some nice nissan discount to keep it at the end, like I did with my 2015 S.

If was to buy, only used would be the option. Have LeafSpy Pro and a bluetooth reader handy and learn hwo to understand the numbers.. read up on some threads on what to look for.

Good luck

DuncanCunningham said:
i would never buy a NEW leaf. I would lease from new so I could get some nice nissan discount to keep it at the end, like I did with my 2015 S.

Nissan doesn't always offer a discounted lease buyout, and even if they do sometimes it's still too much to pay. The residual on my 2012 was around $17k, NMAC offered $5k off, but ended up at CarMax first for $10k then $9700 before it disappeared from their site.

RonDawg said:
DuncanCunningham said:

Nissan doesn't always offer a discounted lease buyout, and even if they do sometimes it's still too much to pay. The residual on my 2012 was around $17k, NMAC offered $5k off, but ended up at CarMax first for $10k then $9700 before it disappeared from their site.

think what you want but leasing a 30 kwh LEAF now? whats it gonna be worth in 2-3 years when there will be a dozen 60 kwh options out there?

DaveinOlyWA said:
...............but leasing a 30 kwh LEAF now? whats it gonna be worth in 2-3 years when there will be a dozen 60 kwh options out there?
Indeed. And one more strategy to think about. A down payment on a lease results in a substantially lower monthly lease charge. If you later wish to extend the term of the lease, NMAC typically extends it at the current monthly charge. Between incentive discounts for a lease, immediate credit for tax rebates, buyout discounts, and low cost extensions of the term of the lease - leasing gives the "owner" many options, including significant protection against depreciation due to subsequent adjustments in market value. And, in the end, you still get to decide whether you choose to keep the vehicle or not.

Dooglas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
...............but leasing a 30 kwh LEAF now? whats it gonna be worth in 2-3 years when there will be a dozen 60 kwh options out there?
Indeed. And one more strategy to think about. A down payment on a lease results in a substantially lower monthly lease charge. If you later wish to extend the term of the lease, NMAC typically extends it at the current monthly charge. Between incentive discounts for a lease, immediate credit for tax rebates, buyout discounts, and low cost extensions of the term of the lease - leasing gives the "owner" many options, including significant protection against depreciation due to subsequent adjustments in market value. And, in the end, you still get to decide whether you choose to keep the vehicle or not.

too many options! I can live with it! :cool:

Dooglas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Just remember that if the car gets totaled, the down payment is lost. So don't make a down payment larger than you are willing to use to gamble on the above factors. $2k is the most I'd risk.

Hi Everybody,

Thanks so much for all of your feedback and suggestions!

I'm in the process of closing on a 2013 SL which was originally on lease in Massachusetts. It has 15,000 miles on it and all of its capacity bars. All things considered, this is as good of a situation as I was imagining getting into a used Leaf. I was able to significantly broaden my search when I realized that I could have any car I purchased delivered to me, rather than needing to drive it home from the point of sale.

Again, thanks for all of the advice!

Back