LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

What Are Our Used Leafs Worth Now?

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm

With the new massive residual discounts for March 2017, a lot of us are buying, or at least thinking of buying, our cars. In my case I would definitely be reselling it in a few months, to lease a new EV with more range. Until now, it wasn't too hard to get a resale value for an older Leaf, because there are lots of them on the market. But between this and the possible end of Federal subsidies looming, it's going to be a real Puzzler figuring out a Leaf's resale value in a given market. I think that mine will be worth at least $7k, and maybe $8k locally, because used Leafs are rare here, and the car has only 16k miles on it. If the subsidies end it should be worth more. OTOH, mine doesn't have QC, and we now have a few EVGo stations. If subsidies remain and a price war develops for new EVs, will I even be able to sell it? Let's talk about this.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Re: What Are Our Used Leafs Worth Now?

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Personally I don't think even if the $7500 tax credit goes away that the price of used EVs will change much, what would drive up the cost of EVs would be if fuel prices spiked, and stayed that way for many months, otherwise with relatively cheap gas price the American sheep will continue to purchase larger and larger less fuel efficient vehicles and EVs will be just a blip on the sales charts :(
Oh personally the QC port isn't worth much for me, the charger OTH is a deal breaker if only has a 3.6 vs 6.6kw, of course if you have lots of QCs in your market and they aren't priced sky high, some may care if it doesn't have one.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:58 pm

It's an interesting thought. Used EV prices have tanked more than ICE in the past 5 years due to increasing battery capacity and amenities, and likely decreasing gasoline prices as well as degradation of 2011-12 Leaf batteries. Now, I won't pretend to know the future, but with an assault on mileage requirement and the oil industry controlling the White House, it is entirely possible that we will see increasing gasoline consumption and prices while several big name car manufacturers may slow their EV developments. Thus, it is "possible," but not likely, that used EVs may be worth more. Pull out the popcorn, things will only get more ugly.
Reddy
2011 SL; 10 bar, 48.82 AHr; 35,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

LightningLeaf
Delivery Date: 28 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 313724

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:43 pm

The way I see EV is a lot like cell phones. With each year expect the battery range to increase, similar to cell phone features gets better.

Our Nissan Leaf is a lot like Samsung Galaxy S5, still works, but not the newest or the shiniest when compared with Galaxy S7 Edge or One Plus 3T.

Nissan Leaf with 24 kwH of power is worth very little for someone who has to drive more than 60 miles highways but priceless for someone who commutes 10 miles one way.
2015 S Brilliant Silver with Charging Package. 36 months lease.
Previous Car:2000 Lexus RX300 at 198,000 miles. Only 20 mpg
2.1 kW Enphase PV System. SDGE EV-TOU2 Rate

LeftieBiker

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Just to be clear, I don't expect to be able to sell my car to an ICE driver. There is a small but significant number of EV drivers in my area (there is a FB group but the owner is unpleasant and controlling so I left it) and it's that niche market I'd be looking at, along with local college students who'd be interested in essentially no fuel cost and a Cool local use vehicle.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:36 pm

I struggled with this recently. In my case, it was $1200 for a warranty/battery replacement vs. trade-in and up into something else like a shiny Bolt or other (and take on a new monthly repayment @1.49% auto loan). I dislike auto leases in general, as it has a "cost" built-in at inception and when you turn the vehicle back in.

In the end, I went the battery route because I am taking a punt that a 2011 Japanese built Leaf will remain to have high reliability for the next 5 years or so. I hope I have taken the right gamble and nothing else will break next in my car.

The next car that I will be purchasing brand new, will be an autonomous vehicle product in 5 years or so. Looks like I'll be waiting it out for now....

LeftieBiker

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:11 am

In my case I'd be looking at $6k for a non-warrantee battery replacement, just to get back 13 or 14% capacity I've lost. That's a nonstarter with a 24kwh pack, so my ownership of my Leaf probably won't last longer than late next Fall. I may try Leaf Box in the meantime, though!

SageBrush
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:50 am

The day I bought my used LEAF I figured the resale value is zero and I would not have purchased the car if I had any expectations of selling it in the future. OTOH I *do* expect the car to work well for us at least five years.

Unfortunately, the LEAF is a throw-away car. If I'm really fortunate the battery and its electronics get recycled into a home system.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

JimSouCal

Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:59 am

SageBrush wrote:The day I bought my used LEAF I figured the resale value is zero and I would not have purchased the car if I had any expectations of selling it in the future. OTOH I *do* expect the car to work well for us at least five years.

Unfortunately, the LEAF is a throw-away car. If I'm really fortunate the battery and its electronics get recycled into a home system.
I bought my 2011 new, installed leather seats, and have loved it since day 1. My main concern is an expensive component failure... Less of a concern is the reduced regen due to lowered battery capacity...

When I purchased, I realized 98% of my driving falls into a very small range circle that supports use with a traction battery at 50%.... WLA also has abundant QC stations, but I've only used twice. Having a second ICE sports car that is used for longer trips helps, so all good, except paying two auto insurance bills....

The SUM, is barring a big expensive repair bill for something like the OBC, that it keeps it's worth and utility to me...

DaveInAvl
Delivery Date: 18 Mar 2014
Leaf Number: 331649

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 am

Well, I found our 2014 SL for sale after we turned it in at lease-end. It's being offered at $11,990 at the dealer in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio - VIN ends in 331649.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”