SageBrush
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Ferrum wrote:I like that concept! Only I don't know where the cars are from until I request the details? I can't find any reviews on them, how do I know this is not a scam? Which co did you use?
I bought my car from this company (carportal.)

The owner Ravi Brar is a good guy, a LEAF owner, and above-board.
If you decide to give them a call, say hi to Ravi from Eric in Colorado. He'll likely remember me since I was his first outside California sale and it caused him some headaches but he came through with flying colors. He buys off-lease cars at auctions from the Bay area only. That had not always been the case, but I changed his mind about buying cars that hailed from the Southeast US after we spent some time comparing LeafSpy reports on the cars in his inventory.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Stoaty
Gold Member
Posts: 4460
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:50 pm
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:15 pm

jjeff wrote:Oh I'd imagine the tires are original, don't expect to get much more than 20-25k miles out of the OEM Ecopia's, many of the used Leafs with 25k miles would probably have new tires, worth $500+ depending on tires and where you got them...

I see this mentioned all the time, I don't know what you guys are doing to your tires. I keep my tires at 40 PSI, drive conservatively and have 60,000 miles on my OEM Ecopia's on my 2011 Leaf. Clearly driving style has a major impact on tire wear. I will probably need new tires in another 10-20,000 miles.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

jjeff
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:58 am

Stoaty wrote:
jjeff wrote:Oh I'd imagine the tires are original, don't expect to get much more than 20-25k miles out of the OEM Ecopia's, many of the used Leafs with 25k miles would probably have new tires, worth $500+ depending on tires and where you got them...

I see this mentioned all the time, I don't know what you guys are doing to your tires. I keep my tires at 40 PSI, drive conservatively and have 60,000 miles on my OEM Ecopia's on my 2011 Leaf. Clearly driving style has a major impact on tire wear. I will probably need new tires in another 10-20,000 miles.

I wonder if your '11 had better Ecopia's, more like the aftermarket ones? Car mfgs. have huge clout due to their buying volume and can basically pay what they want from say a Bridgestone. They say they want to pay $30(or whatever) per tire and the tire company comes up with a tire to sell them for $30. It will be safe and meet DOT standards but as far as wear and general handling.....well price was the most important point so I wouldn't expect much. Walmart does the same thing, but thats a different story.
It's possible being a first generation car your Leaf had a better compound tire, after all first gen products are generally built to a better standard and only subsequent models do they find ways to start saving money, to meet the public's expectations of a cheaper price.
For reference on the same vehicle, same person driving, I've got about half the mileage on my new Ecopia's as I got on my old OEM ones and they still look like new, I ran 40psi in the OEMs but have bumped up the aftermarkets to the max 44psi. By 10K(half the life I got on my OEMs) I could already see lots of wear, they were total crap tires IMO :( Even worse than the 12" OEMs I had on a previous new Geo Metro where I only got 35K and wasn't too happy. People always think they are getting such a great deal on 2nd or 3rd model year cars as the prices start dropping, there is a reason for that and it's generally not the car mfg. making less money........
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

Ferrum
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm
Delivery Date: 08 May 2017
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:35 am

SageBrush wrote:
Ferrum wrote:I like that concept! Only I don't know where the cars are from until I request the details? I can't find any reviews on them, how do I know this is not a scam? Which co did you use?
I bought my car from this company (carportal.)

The owner Ravi Brar is a good guy, a LEAF owner, and above-board.
If you decide to give them a call, say hi to Ravi from Eric in Colorado. He'll likely remember me since I was his first outside California sale and it caused him some headaches but he came through with flying colors. He buys off-lease cars at auctions from the Bay area only. That had not always been the case, but I changed his mind about buying cars that hailed from the Southeast US after we spent some time comparing LeafSpy reports on the cars in his inventory.


I'll do that! They have not responded to my messages, I might have to call them.
2017 SIlver SV with premium package

Ferrum
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm
Delivery Date: 08 May 2017
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Can anyone help me decide on which 2013 SV with the reports below? Will be getting the price later tonight.
Last edited by Ferrum on Fri May 12, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 SIlver SV with premium package

Ferrum
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm
Delivery Date: 08 May 2017
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Here's the 2nd one.
Last edited by Ferrum on Fri May 12, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 SIlver SV with premium package

SageBrush
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Similar battery health in those two cars, but the second car is in slightly better shape. You can probably choose based on price or model trim. Anticipate losing the 12th charge bar sometime this year, most likely in the summer.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

LeftieBiker
Posts: 7204
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:08 pm

SageBrush wrote:Similar battery health in those two cars, but the second car is in slightly better shape. You can probably choose based on price or model trim. Anticipate losing the 12th charge bar sometime this year, most likely in the summer.


Once I realized that the pack had to be kept cool, my capacity loss slowed a LOT. The car with 88% could hold that 12th bar until the Fall after this one, with careful charging.
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

SageBrush
Posts: 1429
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:39 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Similar battery health in those two cars, but the second car is in slightly better shape. You can probably choose based on price or model trim. Anticipate losing the 12th charge bar sometime this year, most likely in the summer.

Once I realized that the pack had to be kept cool, my capacity loss slowed a LOT. The car with 88% could hold that 12th bar until the Fall after this one, with careful charging.

Perhaps, or your impression is confounded by the known behavior of these batteries to have higher rates of aging in the first couple years and then taper somewhat.

It is always true though that batteries appreciate lower temperatures, all else being equal. This is why our LEAF has dibs to the preferred spot under a tree and not parked on concrete, and why we charge in the early morning hours. You have reminded me to nag the Parks and Recreation guy to let me paint a few parking spots. Parking on black hot asphalt is so not LEAF friendly.
2013 Model 'S' with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

Ferrum
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm
Delivery Date: 08 May 2017
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA

Re: 2015 for $11200 w 13700 miles

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:23 pm

SageBrush wrote:Similar battery health in those two cars, but the second car is in slightly better shape. You can probably choose based on price or model trim. Anticipate losing the 12th charge bar sometime this year, most likely in the summer.

Thank you! Is it customary to wire them the money when paying by cash?
2017 SIlver SV with premium package

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”