Buyer Beware "Certified" used leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groingo

I recently bought a 2014 Leaf from a local dealer (Advantage Nissan Bremerton), I picked the car, looked over the Certification Invoices showing work that had been done prior to selling, all looked good until 30 days later when a left rear tire went down (which was brand new and had been installed by dealer), so I pulled the tire to find a faulty air valve and repaired it, but while the tire was off I noticed that the rotors were well worn and lightly glazed....not freshly "machined" as the Certified invoice showed that all four rotors had been and brake pads look to be original and worn where 32,000 miles would be.
Further examination of the invoice also revealed the car had had a four wheel alignment but no evidence of loosened bolts or any repositioning of bolts ie, shiny paint or bare metal was found.
This has now put any trust I had in the dealer in doubt so I contacted the dealer, said my piece and am taking the car in to have a supervised inspection done and especially focusing on battery condition which I now know can be reset to show 12 bars.
If I get no satisfaction I have already contacted Nissan Executive Services and they have offered a full refund on the car within 90 days, I would prefer things work out because I do really like the car but I don' t like being lied too.

Sadly This sounds normal, I'm not a fan of used cars from a dealer for the reasons you just discovered,
only possible benefit is in the case where they honor a warranty.

"Certified" from a dealership is a crock. I'm surprised to read that anybody believes that nonsense. And the CPO warranty will never cover battery aging -- period. End of story. READ THE WARRANTY.

As for the rotors, any normally used LEAF with functioning brakes should have very, very little to no rotor wear at 30k miles. While I am admittedly a gentle driver, I doubt that I use friction brakes more than once a month outside of winter, and a couple times a month in the winter to prevent rust. The CPO section on rotors is a carry-over from ICE vehicles. If the dealership actually did shave the rotors they did a dis-service by thinning them down when not needed.

In summary, OP,
You paid for an almost useless CPO warranty
The rotor business is just a case of being poorly informed on your part

This appears to be a common problem in which the manufacture trusts the dealer to perform the CPO inspection. In your case it sounds as if your dealer lied to Nissan so they can sell your LEAF with the better CPO warranty. Here's a video on this practice.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=steve+lehto+certified+used+car&view=detail&mid=1C99EF6636871EE90E3D1C99EF6636871EE90E3D&FORM=VIRE

By the way, is the battery covered under the 7 year, 100,000 mile CPO warranty? If it is, the CPO warranty may be a good buy.

Thankfully I did NOT BUY their Certified Warranty, just got the paperwork showing inspection for review prior to buying the car and repair work that had supposedly been done.

The key point that seemed to be missed is they said (the dealership) they did work to the car when they in fact did not.

They tried their dardest to sell me an extended warranty but when I also reviewed it I found it covered little to nothing more than the factory warranty so passed.

What's not covered in a CPO?

Notice I say NOT covered.

Most buyers would think that when you buy a CPO Leaf you would expect the key parts would be covered yet they are explicitly excluded!

Any and all electric or hybrid vehicle systems/components, including but not limited to, high voltage (HV) components (including batteries and cells), hybrid transmission, powertrain control systems: inverters, converters, motors, generators, battery chargers, HV PCUs and PCMs; and regenerative braking systems

Source: Limited Warranty Booklet http://cpo.nissanusa.com/userdata/11421/files/2017 cpo warrantybooklet.pdf

So what is the point of a CPO if it doesn't cover anything meaningful?

LKK said:
This appears to be a common problem in which the manufacture trusts the dealer to perform the CPO inspection. In your case it sounds as if your dealer lied to Nissan so they can sell your LEAF with the better CPO warranty. Here's a video on this practice.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=steve+lehto+certified+used+car&view=detail&mid=1C99EF6636871EE90E3D1C99EF6636871EE90E3D&FORM=VIRE

By the way, is the battery covered under the 7 year, 100,000 mile CPO warranty? If it is, the CPO warranty may be a good buy.

Back