2017 Leaf prices

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myth835

I was just offered a brand new 2017 Leaf for $16250 from the local ev selling dealership. Are the dealerships that worry the market for < 100 mile Leafs is going to change overnight? Is there any truth in the rumor that Nissan is going to release the 2018 Leaf same time Tesla release the Model 3?

The 2018 Leaf is supposed to be "released" before the M3 becomes available, in September. It won't be on lots, though, you will have to order one. Whether or not that really "beats" the M3 delivery is open to debate.

Duke and other ectricity companies are offering $10000 rebates
Im guessing the 16k price is after $7500 tax credit?
If you can take advantage of tax creit its reasonable

$16250 is what I was offer. From a dealer in Texas, that is the no rebate, or tax credit price.

Myth835 said:
I was just offered a brand new 2017 Leaf for $16250 from the local ev selling dealership. Are the dealerships that worry the market for < 100 mile Leafs is going to change overnight? Is there any truth in the rumor that Nissan is going to release the 2018 Leaf same time Tesla release the Model 3?

I take it that is the price after incentives? My buy price was $17½K leased in Nov

LeftieBiker said:
The 2018 Leaf is supposed to be "released" before the M3 becomes available, in September. It won't be on lots, though, you will have to order one. Whether or not that really "beats" the M3 delivery is open to debate.

Will still beat the T3 but actually "announced" in Sept, available Q1 2018

From what is publically available, LEAF/Next will be announced on September 5th 2017 in the US, and info on the specifications and a pre-order site will also be up that day. In the weeks immedialtely after the announcement there will be events across the US where you will be able to see, sit, drive and pre-order the car, with the first customer delieries beginning in December for those that pre-ordered. I suspect that dealer inventory will begin to flesh out in the January-March '18 time frame, but it appears that pre-orders will get priority.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Myth835 said:

I take it that is the price after incentives? My buy price was $17½K leased in Nov

No incentives price, I am a resident of Louisiana the dealer is in Texas and I don't make enough to claim the tax credit. $16250 + tax title license is the offered price. Through various Internet sites I am currently seeing over a dozen 2017 listed as new being offered between $15,000-$20,000.

Myth835 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Myth835 said:

No incentives price, I am a resident of Louisiana the dealer is in Texas and I don't make enough to claim the tax credit. $16250 + tax title license is the offered price.
If brand new it is a great price. For those people able to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit it would be under $9k ... which makes me skeptical that the car is really brand new and never titled. For you though, since you cannot take advantage of the federal credit it remains a great deal.

You should know that the federal tax credit is NOT all or nothing; any federal tax liability you have below $7500 would be erased so it that matters, check the car title before purchase. LA used to have an EV state tax credit; I'm not sure about the current state of affairs.

If you don't have sufficient tax liability to take a significant advantage of the $7500 tax credit, you might consider leasing. NMAC typically passes on the full $7500 credit in the form of capital cost reduction on top of whatever discount on selling price you have negotiated with the dealer (the car is still being sold, just to NMAC instead of you personally).

Best to avoid putting any money down in a lease as that is sunk money if the car is totaled in an accident. I understand multiple security deposits can reduce the money factor though.

Normally I wouldn't consider leasing, but in the case of the LEAF in particular, the economics can work out favorably.

SageBrush said:
Myth835 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

No incentives price, I am a resident of Louisiana the dealer is in Texas and I don't make enough to claim the tax credit. $16250 + tax title license is the offered price.
If brand new it is a great price. For those people able to take advantage of the $7500 tax credit it would be under $9k ... which makes me skeptical that the car is really brand new and never titled. For you though, since you cannot take advantage of the federal credit it remains a great deal.

You should know that the federal tax credit is NOT all or nothing; any federal tax liability you have below $7500 would be erased so it that matters, check the car title before purchase. LA used to have an EV state tax credit; I'm not sure about the current state of affairs.

Last nite there was over "25" 2017 Nissan Leafs listed as new at Nissan dealers in 5 different states on the auto trader website . S and SV models from $14,900 to $20,000.

Myth835 said:
Last nite there was over "25" 2017 Nissan Leafs listed as new at Nissan dealers in 5 different states on the auto trader website . S and SV models from $14,900 to $20,000.

Those a great prices if they are pre-tax-credit.

Last year those were typical prices post tax-credit and incentives. From reading posts here going back several years, it always seemed a new mid-trim LEAF worked out to about $20K after factoring in all discounts, incentives, rebates, and tax credits / exemptions, sales tax, etc. Thus it was no surprise used ones were selling for half that or less.

gshepherd said:
If you don't have sufficient tax liability to take a significant advantage of the $7500 tax credit, you might consider leasing. NMAC typically passes on the full $7500 credit in the form of capital cost reduction on top of whatever discount on selling price you have negotiated with the dealer (the car is still being sold, just to NMAC instead of you personally).

Best to avoid putting any money down in a lease as that is sunk money if the car is totaled in an accident. I understand multiple security deposits can reduce the money factor though.

Normally I wouldn't consider leasing, but in the case of the LEAF in particular, the economics can work out favorably.

when I leased, money factor was so low it was a non issue. total rent charge on a 3 year, zero down lease was $0 something. effective interest rate was like .03% or something like that. IOW; nearly nothing. No reason to put a down payment if you don't have to.

interested to find out what the money factor is now.

The money factor is .003 as of yesterday in southern California for top tier credit on an S. It was higher for the sv and sl. Like the guy said before in the topic .003 is less than 1 percent Apr on a loan.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

In 3/2016 Tesla first revealed the Model 3 and said customer deliveries would start Q4 2017.

Last month, Tesla updated the timeline:

First cars to owner employees in July
1000 cars a week in August
2000 cars a week in September
5000 cars a week by end of 2017
10,000 cars a week sometime in 2018

With some 400 - 500k reservations, the production ramp is a whole lot more important than when the first cars are delivered.

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

In 3/2016 Tesla first revealed the Model 3 and said customer deliveries would start Q4 2017.

Last month, Tesla updated the timeline:

First cars to owner employees in July
1000 cars a week in August
2000 cars a week in September
5000 cars a week by end of 2017
10,000 cars a week sometime in 2018

With some 400 - 500k reservations, the production ramp is a whole lot more important than when the first cars are delivered.

so what yer saying is "excepting a teeny tiny sliver of reality" my statement is still correct? I get that right?

DaveinOlyWA said:
so what yer saying is "excepting a teeny tiny sliver of reality" my statement is still correct? I get that right?
Sorry, you got it wrong. Again. You said "Will still beat the T3 but actually "announced" in Sept, available Q1 2018."

Leaf-2 will not beat Tesla Model 3 to market
Leaf-2 will not come close to Tesla's ramp-up, or diffusion across the country.

I fully expect Leaf-2 to be a mostly compliance car. California (and maybe Oregon and Washington) will get the lion's share of a low volume production for a couple months, followed by CARB states. A year later a few cars will trickle into the rest of the country for PR sake.

Tesla appears to be gearing up to make 50k Model 3 by the end of 2017, and then 5,000 - 10,000 cars a week in 2018.. They may divert some production to Europe if needed in order to avoid crossing the threshold for the start of the reduction of the federal tax credit until 1/1/2018 so that all deliveries through 5/30/2018 are eligible for the US federal tax credit $7,500. I estimate 100,000 Model 3 delivered by the time Leaf-2 hits 5,000.

Tesla is sucking up all the oxygen in the room. I'm not sure any compliance car manufacturing will survive in 2018.

Back