Which VIN look-up service do you like?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckMkII

If I've ever ordered a VIN history, it's been so long I've forgotten about it. My priorities are:

1. Accident history
2. Where the car "lived."
3. Not getting a ton of spam after I give them my email address.

If you are buying from a dealer, they should provide a CarFax report, which provides most of what you are looking for.

There's also the free "original sales sticker" URL that works for many Leafs:

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?

Just append that with the VIN.

I recently paid for Carfax(Leaf was from a private party and not dealer) and I didn't get any spam after. Of course the pricing wasn't really geared for just one lookup: $39.99 1 lookup, $59.99 5 lookups within 60 day period and $69.99 unlimited lookups within 60 day period. Not sure if I'd need more than 1 I paid the $20 upcharge, didn't think even for another $10 I'd ever want more than 5 and in the end all I ended up needing was the one :x still worth it I guess although as mentioned a Carfax report is often provided by the larger dealers for free so you've kind of got to add that into account when purchasing from a private seller or small time dealer.
Carfax did have a "free" lookup but was basically nothing, no even worth the time it took me to sign up for it, just pay the $40 or $60 and be done with it IMO :)

BenTheRighteous said:
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle/land.php

Is that more or less detailed than Carfax?
It's not bad, and for zero cost I'd have probably been satisfied enough with it to save the $40-60 Carfax wanted. On the downside IMO is the prices, they in no way reflect reality, in my market nor I'd think anywhere else. I looked up a '13SL w/premium package and it says $4290 trade-in, $5788 private and $7170 dealer :roll: Oh and it says originally it sold for $28.8k :roll:
The report also listed lots of "crap" the Carfax didn't, all of which wasn't even pertinent to the Leaf.
Still for free I'd probably use it again, all the basics were there and did match Carfax :)
Note no where in the report did I see it mention the SL I looked up, saw a red S pictured but even the $28.8k would be too low for a S. Maybe using this lookup and the other free VIN lookup of the window sticker would get you all you wanted. BTW Carfax did show this as a SL w/premium and the prices were a bit low for my market but still within line.
Lastly, this is the VIN I looked up both here and on Carfax.
1N4AZ0CP3DC413298

jjeff said:
BenTheRighteous said:
https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle/land.php

Is that more or less detailed than Carfax?
It's not bad, and for zero cost I'd have probably been satisfied enough with it to save the $40-60 Carfax wanted. On the downside IMO is the prices, they in no way reflect reality, in my market nor I'd think anywhere else. I looked up a '13SL w/premium package and it says $4290 trade-in, $5788 private and $7170 dealer :roll: Oh and it says originally it sold for $28.8k :roll:
The report also listed lots of "crap" the Carfax didn't, all of which wasn't even pertinent to the Leaf.
Still for free I'd probably use it again, all the basics were there and did match Carfax :)
Note no where in the report did I see it mention the SL I looked up, saw a red S pictured but even the $28.8k would be too low for a S. Maybe using this lookup and the other free VIN lookup of the window sticker would get you all you wanted. BTW Carfax did show this as a SL w/premium and the prices were a bit low for my market but still within line.
Lastly, this is the VIN I looked up both here and on Carfax.
1N4AZ0CP3DC413298

Excellent, thanks! That report is a bit cumbersome to view on my phone (so many TSBs!), but I can't seen any other reason to complain. Except that it thinks my 2004 Taurus is only worth $1600 in a private sale! That seems a little disappointing.

Back