Taking over a lease on a LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alozzy

I'm considering taking over a lease on a 2016 Nissan LEAF SV (30 kWh pack). Because of the financial incentive from the lessee, the adjusted monthly payments will be very reasonable. Given the amount of $ we pay monthly for gas on our ICE, taking over the lease is going to be almost entirely offset by gas savings. Also, as my wife and I are both self employed, either one of us can take advantage of the business expense.

Having never leased a car, or never having assumed a lease, I'd really appreciate some advice on questions to ask of the original lessee, of the Nissan dealership who leased the car, etc.

Does the lessee know that they remain responsible for the payments, and I think for the condition of the car? I don't want you to get dropped by them unexpectedly. There is another whole topic on this, somewhere, but I can't remember the name.

I remember reading something about that in the past; however, I don't know whether it's applicable to Nissan Canada leases. Something worth asking the dealership about. Thanks!

End of lease fees.
Insurance costs.

Are you getting rid of one of the ICE cars ? If not then do you have a use that requires another car ?

We do need two cars, but gas prices in BC, Canada are crazy expensive (due to carbon tax and other local gas taxes) so we are looking to go all EV.

Do you know what the end of lease fees typically are?

With respect to insurance, insuring our LEAF is slightly more expensive than insuring the ICE, but a newer LEAF will likely be more expensive to insure than our 2013 SV. Will find out, thanks!

End of lease fee is something like $600, IIRC. You are responsible for any damage to the car, as defined by NMAC's end of lease guide (also noted in the other topic). If you lease or buy another Nissan they waive the fee and also waive up to $500 in damage.

Unfortunately, looks like this one didn't work out. He listed remaining payments on the lease takeover website as 26, but it turns out it's a 5 year lease (60 payments) so more like 40 payments remaining. I'm not interested if my end is >$10K for a car I don't get to keep at the end of it. Thanks anyways for everyone's advice.

LeftieBiker said:
End of lease fee is something like $600, IIRC. You are responsible for any damage to the car, as defined by NMAC's end of lease guide (also noted in the other topic). If you lease or buy another Nissan they waive the fee and also waive up to $500 in damage.

I'm not even sure if this applies to a not-really-take-over lease, in that you might not get the damage waiver if it's you and not the original lessee getting a new Nissan.

Back