LeftieBiker wrote:like2bike wrote:Did you find out anything new about the $7500 tax credit when leasing?
It's as I wrote in the topic about that: you don't get the $7500 credit passed on from NMAC anymore if you lease an SV or SL. Instead, you get a varying amount of lease cash from Nissan (I think I got about $3k) plus whatever local credits are available. I got about $4800 total, I think, counting a NY rebate of $2k. They also raise the residual a thousand or two to make the lease payment more tolerable. My residual is $17,388, while a month or two ago it would have been about $1k less. That makes my SL just about affordable to buy off lease, in the unlikely event the battery holds up well.
A few weeks ago while QCing at a Nissan SoCal dealer, I received a demo in a 2018 SL. The interior & exterior styling was fairly appealing
versus my '13 SL. At that time I didn't ask for a quote. Today, again QCing at the same dealer, I asked for a quote on a SV (no Pro),
$36, 350 MSRP. The sales person quoted it using my '13 SL (-2 bars, 63K) as a trade-in. The residual used was $15K, no down, 3 yr lease,
$200/month tax and license. Without the trade-in, $400/month (or basically $200/month plus $7200 down). Total lease cost, $14.4K.
A second dealer provided the same terms but $40 more per month. Not that great in either case, right?
My '13 SL was leased for 3 years at $300/month, $15K residual, & $4k down in 11/2013. Bought the '13 at lease expiration for $10K
(not that great). Total lease cost $14.8K (less $2500 CA rebate).
1. Nissan hasn't become more motivated to sell Leafs.
2. Why risk the uncertainty of the unknown 2018 battery degradation with increased range but limited successive QCing,
which implies increased thermal problems over my '13.
3. The reliability on the '13 is basically known (4.5 years - zero problems) versus a new model Leaf.
4. Presently, worst case required number of QCs (~ 10-15 minutes) per trip is one. Really indifferent to having
the 2018 Leaf eliminate that single QC.
5. The 2018 exterior design is more appealing to most, but personally I couldn't care less.