Page 2 of 2

Why is buying a Nissan going to be more challenging??

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:02 am
by jlv
armmynissanleaf wrote:EV Tax Credit is ending soon.
Huh? No it's not.

This article is a saying: some mfgs are reaching the 200K cutoff of the tax credit, and it will no longer be available to them. That's as intended. Actually, I found the article not very good. Although, it did say this:
Coming in as the next closest are Nissan and Ford with around 120,000 and 108,000 units respectively, and aren't expected to reach 200,000 for several years.

So I fail to see how "buying a Nissan is going to be more challenging" is true.

Re: Why is buying a Nissan going to be more challenging??

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:27 am
by techiefan
jlv wrote:
armmynissanleaf wrote:EV Tax Credit is ending soon.
Huh? No it's not.

This article is a saying: some mfgs are reaching the 200K cutoff of the tax credit, and it will no longer be available to them. That's as intended. Actually, I found the article not very good. Although, it did say this:
Coming in as the next closest are Nissan and Ford with around 120,000 and 108,000 units respectively, and aren't expected to reach 200,000 for several years.

So I fail to see how "buying a Nissan is going to be more challenging" is true.


I agree, I think the challenge will be more for Tesla first then Nissan second based on USA sales numbers, but I doubt it will decrease sales anytime soon given that GAS prices have been on the rise this year. What drives sales towards alternative vehicles are gas prices as said here in this thread by others. What I see taking place first is the Hybrid community will continually outpace EV given the change is how the EV works. With ~20 miles EV to augment gas with an EPA saying of ~60 miles per gallon equivalent will satisfy a lager purchasing crowd. I see that as a bigger threat to going all electric and Nissan sales etc.

Re: Why buying a Nissan is going to be more challenging unless Congress acts

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:39 am
by Zythryn
This would solve LOTS of issues, including the EV rebate:
https://citizensclimatelobby.org/carbon ... -dividend/

Start charging for externalities. Not only that, but people get paid for the increased prices.
Those that are energy efficient, actually get paid more than the increased costs.

This also would lower the need for additional government regulations, and may even allow the repeal of some existing regulations.
It also stimulates the economy.

There are aspects of this that appeal to2 liberals, conservatives, libertarians or even socialists.

Re: Why is buying a Nissan going to be more challenging??

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:31 pm
by Dooglas
techiefan wrote: I think the challenge will be more for Tesla first then Nissan second based on USA sales numbers,

The effect on Tesla will probably be somewhat different than the effect on Nissan. Tesla sells very few $35K EVs despite what you hear from Elon Musk. The loss of the $7.5K federal tax rebate on a $50-100K vehicle is somewhat different than the effect on EVs at the bottom end of the price range. Having said that, it will be a while before Nissan EV sales hit 200,000 and that only triggers the beginning of a several step reduction in the rebate which will take something over 18 months.

Re: Why is buying a Nissan going to be more challenging??

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:57 am
by jlv
Dooglas wrote:Tesla sells very few $35K EVs despite what you hear from Elon Musk.
Tesla has sold 0 EVs for $35K (and 0 EVs for under $49K). I don't think Elon Musk has said otherwise.

Re: Why buying a Nissan is going to be more challenging unless Congress acts

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:04 pm
by smkettner
Like most subsidies I believe the EV prices are a bit inflated due to government money.

Re: Why is buying a Nissan going to be more challenging??

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:26 pm
by Dooglas
jlv wrote:
Dooglas wrote:Tesla sells very few $35K EVs despite what you hear from Elon Musk.
Tesla has sold 0 EVs for $35K (and 0 EVs for under $49K). I don't think Elon Musk has said otherwise.

You do understand that my point was that the loss of the federal tax incentive will have a proportionally smaller impact on Tesla than on Nissan due to the higher price of the Tesla vehicles. Sounds like you agree with me. (thought it is a matter of record that Elon Musk said the base price of the Tesla 3 would be $35k when he announced its initial availability for order/reservation, and Tesla has repeatedly said that a base model 3 would be available at some point)

Re: Why buying a Nissan is going to be more challenging unless Congress acts

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:49 am
by rmay635703
SageBrush wrote:
smkettner wrote:
SageBrush wrote:Sure, in isolation. But for now that subsidy is not even coming close to off-setting the externalized costs of petrol.
You could make EVs free and you would not pay a nickle toward external costs.
Need to collect a tax to have users pay external costs.
.

What is the externalized cost of something that does not occur ?


That is a common concept in the stock market,
Stock usually drops when something doesn’t occur that investors expect.

No idea what it is in this context