be236
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 309258

Re: Just bought used CPO Nissan LEAF, does license fee include the yearly tabs?

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 am

cwerdna wrote:^^^
I've heard them referred to as both tabs and tags. But I've only lived in CA and WA.

In WA, they even refer to them as tabs at https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistrat ... rtabs.html.

I see numerous hits for tags when Googling for site:dmv.ca.gov tags.
be236 wrote:So, assuming I get those tabs with my new plates... how do I recover the balance of what I overpaid?

So, I paid $650 to the dealer for these license plates, and say it only cost $250 from WA state, how do I get my $400 back??

Beats me. Ages ago, I bought my 06 Prius new here in CA at Toyota Sunnyvale.

Out of the blue, maybe a month or two later, I received a check from the dealer for over payment or them apparently overcharging me for registration. I was surprised. I had no idea I was somehow overcharged and figured that most dealers would just pocket it. I don't think it was a huge amount of $... somewhere between $3 and $50. I don't think it was anywhere near $100.

I'm guessing you double checked https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fees.html. Do note there is a $150 electric car fee.

Thanks for the WA link! I knew I should have gone there to look up more info... still trying to figure out why to get my extra dough I overpaid to the dealer ($650 is their standard fee they add when buying the car)... The sales guy said somehow I got it back from the WA State Licensing dept.. he was very clear about it or I didnt hear him well...
Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

be236
Delivery Date: 07 Jul 2018
Leaf Number: 309258

Re: Just bought used CPO Nissan LEAF, does license fee include the yearly tabs?

Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:17 am

SageBrush wrote:
be236 wrote:So, I paid $650 to the dealer for these license plates, and say it only cost $250 from WA state, how do I get my $400 back??

You think the dealership put in all that effort* for free ?
I have always made it a habit of telling dealerships that I would take care of the registration myself at the MVD so that those charges are off the table. I figured it was a good investment of my wife's time ;-)

*That is a joke, in case you were wondering. However, the dealership does have the right to charge for the service; and charge they do, as the market will bear out of ignorance/laziness.

Oh, I didnt know I could negotiate to pay that license fee myself when I bought the car! D'oh! Now I gotta figure out how to get back this dough I overpaid the dealer...
Nissan LEAF 2017 S.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”