Buying Leaf out of State

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Picking up from the other thread.

Out of the bat, let me say, I prefer everyone buy from your local dealers. Buying local helps local communities and that is always a good thing.

However, if for some reason you can't buy locally (may be because noone locally is willing to sell @ or below MSRP) - what does it mean to buy out of state ?

I'm thinking about things like
- Sales tax : Does the origin state charge registration, documentation, license and other fees ?
- Registration etc : Does the origin state charge registration, documentation, license and other fees ?
- Destination charge / Freight : Does the buyer pay both destination charge and a feight charge ? (Ans : The car goes to dealer first. Destination fee needs to be paid. The freight from dealer to buyer is obviously subject to negotiation. No drop shipping.)

Ofcourse, one still needs to get the "order now" email. After that, I guess we can select a dealer (in or out of state) and order. So, someone in Boston still won't be able to order from a dealer in TN in this year.

evnow said:
Out of the bat, let me say, I prefer everyone buy from your local dealers. Buying local helps local communities and that is always a good thing.

I have to agree with you. Another reason why the $500 discount of MSRP is a very nice gesture, but not going to capture my attention beyond recognizing that.

Now if my local dealer happens to see this and wants to match it....well that's another story entirely. :D

mwalsh said:
Now if my local dealer happens to see this and wants to match it....well that's another story entirely. :D

Exactly. A credible threat of losing sales is always a good thing (for customers !).

I would love to buy locally...sadly the LEAF is probably coming to New Mexico next winter...heck if it was the same time as Texas or even just "spring" I would wait...

So I plan to get one in the next state over...If it gets too complicated I might wait...but really if I wait for the LEAF to be local sometime around Christmas, well I would probably just wait another year for the Fiat 500 EV.

Gavin

evnow said:
mwalsh said:

Exactly. A credible threat of losing sales is always a good thing (for customers !).

+1. On both arguments, and on the "buy local" conviction ...

Buying local is always the best option as long as the Dealer is reasonable. Unfortunately historically when dealers are presented with an opportunity like this they have a hard time taking the high road, that's why I put that offer out there. From what I can tell Nisan is going to make it very hard for you to order too far from you proximity. On the BETA I saw of the leaf order screen there is a pull down with distances when you are going to search for a dealer to request a quote from. They were not able to tell me what the distances would be as far as how far 10, 25, 50 mi etc. I am awaiting an answer from them on that. Destination charege is always built into the MSRP, so everyone pays that, and if there is freight then that can be negotiated with the dealer.

mossyleaf said:
Destination charge is always built into the MSRP, so everyone pays that, and if there is freight then that can be negotiated with the dealer.

So, do dealers have to take delivery of the car and then ship it to the buyer or can it be delivered directly from Nissan to the buyer ?

Has to go to Dealer for PDI pre-delivery inspection and charging. They are telling us they will come off the truck with minimal juice.

mossyleaf said:
...From what I can tell Nisan is going to make it very hard for you to order too far from you proximity. On the BETA I saw of the leaf order screen there is a pull down with distances when you are going to search for a dealer to request a quote from. They were not able to tell me what the distances would be as far as how far 10, 25, 50 mi etc. I am awaiting an answer from them on that....
I just noticed on the Nissan website the "Select Dealer" option has been upgraded to give you a map etc. Nothing prevented me from selecting a dealer 400 mi away as "preferred". Would be kind of a drag if you set up a preferred dealer only to have Nissan make them unavailable to you at the last minute.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I found a dealership that told me they are going to sell it to me for 1k less. The dealership owner and their internet guy are both the only ones getting a Leaf in my area besides me. Both like me are anxious. They also are going to let me know any information they get when Nissan provides it.

That will be nice Christmas present if I can get it 1k less than MSRP.

curtegg said:
I must be one of the lucky ones. I found a dealership that told me they are going to sell it to me for 1k less. The dealership owner and their internet guy are both the only ones getting a Leaf in my area besides me. Both like me are anxious. They also are going to let me know any information they get when Nissan provides it.

That will be nice Christmas present if I can get it 1k less than MSRP.

I found one too! Fontana Nissan in CA! I'm wondering how much to ship to AZ...I'm about 330 mi. east. I saw Mossy Nissan will ship FREE up to 200 mi. :)

For what it's worth, I bought my last two cars from out of state dealers. The first came from a dealer in Des Moines. We did everything via FAX and email, including a credit union loan. I kept the final check until delivery. The dealership put one driver in my car and a second in a 'chase car'. They drove nearly 500 miles to Srn Illinois where I could inspect the car and either accept or refuse it. I handed over the check and signed the final forms in my garage and the folks drove back to Des Moines. Absolutely brilliant!

The second was a car I found in NH. Email and digital pictures got me most of the info I needed. I 'interviewed' a salesperson as they walked around to check specific parts of the car. The initial purchase order was prepared via FAX; the deposit went on a credit card. I got a 1-way flight from San Antonio to NH, completed the deal, and drove home.

Registration was easy and normal. I paid the difference in sales tax only. Dealers that work long distance understand that there's more risk for both parties and tend to be a bit extra helpful. I wouldn't have any trouble at all buying from an out of area dealer that wanted to work with me.

For $1000 below MSRP, I'd fly to the West Coast and have an adventurous drive back home. :D

Andy

Thanks Gary! If I come out that way, it'll likely be conjunction with the 'sunset voyage' of a well worn but amazingly loyal '97 Passat TDI. ;) Andy

Back