Red or White?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smkettner

I think I like the red. My concern is the possibility of additional power used for cooling the car.
I had a black Mustang before and my current white truck seems cooler. Is this a real issue or not?

smkettner said:
I think I like the red. My concern is the possibility of additional power used for cooling the car.
I had a black Mustang before and my current white truck seems cooler. Is this a real issue or not?
It is from the people I have asked I think black is the best looking but went with white for the same to be cooler.

Gonewild said:
smkettner said:
It is from the people I have asked I think black is the best looking but went with white for the same to be cooler.

Then, may be I should get black ?

The problem with black ofcourse is that it gets (rather shows) dirty easily.

I was debating between White (pearl) or Silver (metallic) but chose metallic Silver. I was under the impression it had the highest SRI - solar reflective index.

mxp said:
I was debating between White (pearl) or Silver (metallic) but chose metallic Silver. I was under the impression it had the highest SRI - solar reflective index.

I think white has the highest SRI. My reasoning is that white roofs are better to use than silver roofs as energy improvements for commercial buildings.

garygid said:
White shows dirt easily also, right?
Gary I had a white truck and you would think white would show dirt more but it does not reflect light so it look OK. I am going with white again.

garygid said:
White shows dirt easily also, right?

One fairly amazing aspect of color is that lighter colors "show dirt" less than darker colors. A black car with a layer of dust looks really bad. A white car with a layer of dust looks like a white car. Although, mud is mud... it doesn't matter what color your car is.

go with red. Look, I lived in Phoenix/Tucson for 25 years. When I lived there, I owned a white car, as well as a brown and red. I currently own a red car and my Leaf will also be red. Any color car in a hot environment will get crazy hot. I never thought white made a darn difference. But you know when the color really counts? When you're looking for your car in a crowded parking lot. Among the sea of white and silver, you can always spot your red car a mile away. :D

Guess that was the tipping point

In Scottsdale (Phoenix Area), I'll be driving a RED Nissan LEAF. Should be quite easy to spot in the parking lot. The only other Red car in the lot will be the Fuel Hungry Red Mustangs.

malloryk said:
go with red. Look, I lived in Phoenix/Tucson for 25 years. When I lived there, I owned a white car, as well as a brown and red. I currently own a red car and my Leaf will also be red. Any color car in a hot environment will get crazy hot. I never thought white made a darn difference. But you know when the color really counts? When you're looking for your car in a crowded parking lot. Among the sea of white and silver, you can always spot your red car a mile away. :D

Malloryk, you must have never taken temps inside your white and red cars. I had both also, and I DID take inside temps, and there was a BIG difference. Plus, anyone should know that white will reflect most of the heat and red and black will absorb most of it. :)

garygid said:
How about a cool two-tone?

Red car and have the roof painted white, a few white stripes, and maybe even a white "Zero Emissions" on the back and "All Electric" on the side?

1248350384_VW_van_004.jpg

Back