A Chat with Nissan Regarding the Ordering Procedure

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEAFing

Hello all:

I've had some concerns. I decided to go to the horse's mouth. There's some nuggets in here. Maybe the info will help others. Please find below a copy of a chat from this morning with personal info redacted (California resident). I can't really answer any questions, the info is being presented simply AS-IS, and is pretty self-explanatory. If you want to quote, for example, some of the nuggets, for brevity please remove all extraneous non-pertinent text (sorry, a pet-peeve of mine when a respondent quotes the entire piece, rather than just the pertinent excerpt, it makes it SO HARD to read and lengthens this thread ad nauseum).

==============================================================================

Saturday, August 14, 2010 08:40:53 AM PDT (8/14/2010 3:40:53 PM - GMT)

Welcome to EV Customer Support, Erica will be right with you.

Erica:
Thank you for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Erica. How may I help you today, {Customer}?

{Customer}:
Good morning, Erica !

{Customer}:
I have several questions regarding the ordering procedure ("OP" for short).

Erica:
Good morning, and thank you for your interest in the Nissan LEAF. I will be happy to assist you today, {Customer}. In order to accurately log the demographics of our inquiries, would you mind providing your last name, zip code, and phone number?

{Customer}:
<Customer-LastName>, <Customer-ZipCode>, <Customer-TelNum>.

Erica:
Thank you for your information, {Customer}. How may I help you today?

{Customer}:
When will August order reservationists receive the OrderNow email, Aug 27 ?

Erica:
We do not know the exact date when the e-mails will go out. If you have received an e-mail saying that you will be able to place your order for your Nissan LEAF in August, please continue to check your e-mails for the one that Nissan will send you when it is time for you to place your order.

{Customer}:
Thanks. Is the dealer that’s currently our preferred dealer the one from whom we have to request the first quote, or are we free to select any dealer during the OP ?

Erica:
The dealer that you chose as your preferred dealer should be the dealer from whom you would like to request your first quote. That is the point of letting the customer pick their preferred dealer. If you do not like their quote, you can decline that quote and request a quote from another dealer.

{Customer}:
Thank you. What information has to be provided and what selections have to be made during OP ? For example: Color, trim level, Level 3 Charging Port, Purchase versus Lease, cash versus financing ?

Erica:
All of the above.

{Customer}:
Anything else that I missed ?

Erica:
Whether you have a car to trade in, and if you have had your home assessment done or not.

{Customer}:
Ok. How is it possible for the Dealer to make a LEASE offer during the OP without having all of the customer’s financial information, including credit rating ?

Erica:
All financing information will be discussed with the LEAF certified Nissan dealer at the appropriate time during their purchase process of the Nissan LEAF.

{Customer}:
You said "purchase process". Is this the same as the "OrderingProcedure" ? In other words, does this information also have to be provided BEFORE the Dealer places the order for the LEAF ?

Erica:
A month before their car arrives, customers will begin to receive weekly updates. They’ll also be able to get NMAC pre-approval and receive an online checklist to ensure they are prepared to take delivery.

{Customer}:
Hmm ... that does not answer the question. Not sure what NMAC stands for, but I assume it is the financing arm for the lease. So, again, do I have to provide financial information to the Dealer before it will place the order ?

Erica:
I am not sure, {Customer}, but if I were you, I would have it handy just in case.

{Customer}:
Let me tell you why I am spending so much effort/time on this question. I am not yet sure who in the household will get the car. It might be my son.

{Customer}:
Are we LOCKED into the choices we make during the OP, for example, Lease versus Purchase ? Cash versus financing ? Or can these choices be changed at the dealer either at any time after ordering or as late as day of delivery ?

Erica:
Reservations are only valid for the individual who makes reservations and cannot be transferred, traded, assigned or sold.

{Customer}:
Oops. That's interesting. Ok. Thanks for the info so far … let’s move on. Is the Home Assessment required to have been completed PRIOR to the OP ?

Erica:
You will confirm your vehicle configurations during the order process. Once they have been confirmed by you, then they are finalized.

Erica:
You will have to at least have scheduled your home assessment prior to placing the order for your Nissan LEAF.

{Customer}:
Thank you. Are the following items included as STANDARD or OPTIONS in the price of the SL model: 1] backup camera and monitor; 2] Level 3 Charging Port ?

Erica:
The vehicle is well-equipped with a variety of standard features, including an advanced navigation system and a data-control module for remote connectivity to the vehicle (for remote programming capabilities, including pre-heat/pre-cool and charging control). The Nissan LEAF is equipped with energy-efficient LED headlights and makes extensive use of recycled and recyclable materials, such as seat fabric, instrument panel, and front and rear bumper fascias. Other standard amenities include Bluetooth connectivity; Intelligent-key with push button start; and XM satellite radio capabilities. Safety features include vehicle dynamic control (stability control), traction control and six airbags.
The upper trim level, for $940, adds several convenience features, including rearview monitor; solar panel spoiler; fog lights; automatic headlight on-off; and a cargo cover. The Level 3 Charging Port will be an additional option to add to the package for the SL model of the Nissan LEAF.

{Customer}:
How much does the Level 3 charging port/function cost ?

Erica:
We are still working on those details. However, the best way to ensure you have the information you need when the time comes is to register for e-mail updates about the Nissan LEAF at http://www.nissanusa.com.

{Customer}:
I am registered. Will the price be known on the day of the OP ? The same question for the Residual Value on the Lease ...

Erica:
That information will be available closer to the launch of the Nissan LEAF. You may inquire about that when you are contacted by Nissan to confirm your vehicle configurations. All financing details will be discussed with your preferred LEAF certified Nissan dealer.

{Customer}:
Thanks. Can I expect my August Order to result in a December delivery ? What happens if the delivery is delayed to January 2011 ? Then I might be screwed from a tax planning perspective !

Erica:
You will receive a finalized delivery date after placing your order for your Nissan LEAF. It is our understanding that the program will continue until funding is depleted, but please verify with the state.

{Customer}:
Thanks for that, but it is also the Federal Tax planning that's affected.

{Customer}:
I STRONGLY URGE Nissan to get the OP defined and ASAP provide this information to all August Order Reservationists so that we have a chance to prepare our information for the OrderNow day. If Nissan does this NOW the process will go much more smoothly. Please pass this REQUEST along to the appropriate people managing the OP.

Erica:
All persons considering use of available incentives should consult with their own tax professional to determine eligibility, specific amount of benefit available, if any, and further details. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today, {Customer}?

{Customer}:
Erica, thank your for all your time and effort. I know I have been asking some hard questions. YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL. I appreciate your service.

{Customer}:
I am open to receiving a phone call (you have my number) from Nissan regarding feedback PRIOR to the start of the OP. Please provide the transcript of this session to appropriate personnel.

Erica:
I will have a copy of this chat sent to <Customer-EmailAddr> . Before we end our conversation, I want to ensure your needs have been met. Do you have any additional questions about what we discussed today?

{Customer}:
No. And THANKS again. Looking forward to driving GAS FREE !

Erica:
I appreciate your enthusiasm in receiving your Nissan LEAF, {Customer}. Please feel free to visit our website often for updates about the Nissan LEAF, and encourage your friends to contact us with their questions. Thank you for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support. To help us improve our service, would you mind taking a brief survey? If you would like to do so, please click on the Exit Chat button below. Thank you again for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support. Have a great day, {Customer}.

{Customer}:
Thanks. Bye.

Visitor {Customer} has ended the chat.

Approx Saturday, August 14, 2010 09:27 AM PDT

LEAFing said:
The Level 3 Charging Port will be an additional option to add to the package for the SL model of the Nissan LEAF.

Why is this not written anywhere on the Leaf's Website? Why was it not provided as an option when I put down the $99 reservation fee?

Ugg...

LEAFing
Hi. Thanks for sharing your conversation with Nissan LEAF rep. I know this about auto financing. You can get qualified financing from your bank or a credit union and the amount you are qualified for is good for 60 days. In other words, if I go to my credit union and tell them that I want to be pre-qualified for $35,000 for the LEAF October 31st or November 1st and they qualify me. Then I can take that letter to the Nissan LEAF dealer I have chosen. It does get complicated if I have a car to trade in which I owe on- especially if I owe a lot more on my car than it is worth! That is my case- I owe more than my Civic Hybrid is worth.

Hope this helps you...
Take care!

LEAFing said:
{Customer}:
Ok. How is it possible for the Dealer to make a LEASE offer during the OP without having all of the customer’s financial information, including credit rating ?

Erica:
All financing information will be discussed with the LEAF certified Nissan dealer at the appropriate time during their purchase process of the Nissan LEAF.
I don't know what to make of this. Do we agree on a price during the ordering process or not ? Afterall we are asking for a quote ....

{Customer}:
You said "purchase process". Is this the same as the "OrderingProcedure" ? In other words, does this information also have to be provided BEFORE the Dealer places the order for the LEAF ?

Erica:
A month before their car arrives, customers will begin to receive weekly updates. They’ll also be able to get NMAC pre-approval and receive an online checklist to ensure they are prepared to take delivery.
Interesting. So all credit checks etc will happen just before actual delivery.

{Customer}:
Are we LOCKED into the choices we make during the OP, for example, Lease versus Purchase ? Cash versus financing ? Or can these choices be changed at the dealer either at any time after ordering or as late as day of delivery ?

Erica:
You will confirm your vehicle configurations during the order process. Once they have been confirmed by you, then they are finalized.
I think the most important thing you do when you order is that vehicle configuration. Trim level, color and any factory installed option. This is what Nissan needs to start production of the car. All finance related stuff can be done later.

Erica:
You will have to at least have scheduled your home assessment prior to placing the order for your Nissan LEAF.
Interesting. So, they want you to get assessed - to make sure you are buying the car and not trying to sell it on e-bay.

{Customer}:
Thank you. Are the following items included as STANDARD or OPTIONS in the price of the SL model: 1] backup camera and monitor; 2] Level 3 Charging Port ?

Erica:
...The Level 3 Charging Port will be an additional option to add to the package for the SL model of the Nissan LEAF.

{Customer}:
How much does the Level 3 charging port/function cost ?

Erica:
We are still working on those details. However, the best way to ensure you have the information you need when the time comes is to register for e-mail updates about the Nissan LEAF at http://www.nissanusa.com.
So another confirmation. I think now they have decided - while they were wishy-washy about this earlier. Thank you SAE/GM.

Erica:
You will receive a finalized delivery date after placing your order for your Nissan LEAF.
Nice. This would be the start of real waiting time ... :mrgreen:

Erica:

I wonder what that means for those that have decided to just use level 1 charging and have told AV they don't want an assessment? Also what that means for those that have decided to wait for a Leviton EVSE. Or the folks that are on the "cash and carry" AV list (having your own electrician install the AV unit).

I imagine these questions will be answered fairly soon.

LEAFing said:
Hello all:
. . . . . . . . . . . snip

{Customer}:
Thanks. Can I expect my August Order to result in a December delivery ? What happens if the delivery is delayed to January 2011 ? Then I might be screwed from a tax planning perspective !

Erica:
You will receive a finalized delivery date after placing your order for your Nissan LEAF. It is our understanding that the program will continue until funding is depleted, but please verify with the state.

{Customer}:
Thanks for that, but it is also the Federal Tax planning that's affected.

{Customer}:
I STRONGLY URGE Nissan to get the OP defined and ASAP provide this information to all August Order Reservationists so that we have a chance to prepare our information for the OrderNow day. If Nissan does this NOW the process will go much more smoothly. Please pass this REQUEST along to the appropriate people managing the OP.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip
Approx Saturday, August 14, 2010 09:27 AM PDT

If it's any comfort, I went into our dealer yesterday to let them know they were our choice for taking delivery. Regarding our scheduled August order, our sales manager said something that I failed to focus on, until after I left (I was obsessing on MSRP commitments). As I was mentally framing my next narrow question, he said they were expecting a 'heads-up' from Nissan, "... any time now ... in fact ... let me check my email because it may already be happening". For some dumb reason, I mistook what the manager was saying as relating to the $99 pre-depost ... so I didn't give it a 2nd thought until I was headed to my next appointment. Anyway, that's the comment I got yesterday. Anybody received a "ORDER NOW" instruction? Accordingly, I've upped email pushed to my PDA, to every 5 minutes.
:D

jev77 said:
Erica:

I wonder what that means for those that have decided to just use level 1 charging and have told AV they don't want an assessment? Also what that means for those that have decided to wait for a Leviton EVSE. Or the folks that are on the "cash and carry" AV list (having your own electrician install the AV unit).

I imagine these questions will be answered fairly soon.

This is likely just that they want you to do this as they expect everyone will need the assessment done to get the dock installed before delivery. These are scripted answers and I would not be concerned, they won't withhold the order process for that, they don't want to loose orders.

Thanks, LEAFing.

evnow said:
Interesting. So all credit checks etc will happen just before actual delivery.
That's where I am also a little confused. The official $349/$379 per month quoted by Nissan (on their website and elsewhere) for a Lease does NOT take into account 1] options, and 2] Money Factor. Those $ numbers are typically the representative best-deal to customers with the highest credit scores (T0, I think they call it) quoted only as an example. Now comes the hard part. If they do NOT have your credit info UP FRONT, then how can they conclude what tier to put you in in order to give you a quote ? Then ... unlikely ... but what if your credit rating changes before delivery, or worse, what if they don't do the credit stuff until after the order is complete and the Dealer surprises you in mid-process (between order and delivery) with some BAD NEWS, like, you did not qualify for our best rate ?

Interesting what JPC2822 pointed out above too. You can get pre-qualified by a third-party (for purchase, not lease), like a CreditUnion, which likely will be a better deal anyway, but that's only good for 30-60 days. Wonder if ... due to the special nature of the LEAF ... the CreditUnion will extend to 120 days to safely cover the time lag from now to December (or January). Problem, of course, is ... the LEAF does not "exist" yet, and I'm not sure if a bank or CU will commit NOW.

Worst case is ... you specify cash purchase during the order process, and then it's up to you to arrange for financing. Or talk the dealer into changing to Lease closer to delivery.

What LEAFing points out about tax planning is interesting too. And they never really answered the question.
LEAFing said:
{Customer}:
That could affect Purchase/Lease decision. (Oops, the slow boat from Japan was delayed ...)

I just got off of live chat with Nissan and will post transcript when I get it. I asked about my concern that I have yet to hear from etec about the "more information" needed by the EV project from me. I did not get the July 30 email that some did. So, still waiting, I have not yet either been contacted by or had contact with AV. I said another operator had posted on chat that the home assessment would need to be completed prior to ordering. I have Sept. order date.... :eek: with no assessment scheduled.
He responded that the assessment needs to be done at least 2 weeks prior to delivery of the vehicle, and is not required before ordering. I did not address the questions related to those opting out of home assessment entirely for all the reasons given on this forum.

Roland:
Thank you for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Roland. How may I help you today?

Customer:
Hello. I am a reservation holder for a Sept. order month. I was told in an email from Nissan that I was being considered for the EV project but they needed more information. I have not yet heard from them and am getting concerned.

Roland:
I appreciate your interest in the Nissan LEAF. I will be happy to assist you with this information, Kathleen.

Customer:
Some reservation holders got an email from etec on July 30 asking for the holder to contact them. I did not get this email.

Roland:
I understand your concern, however we do ask you to be patient.

Roland:
ECOtlality is still reviewing surveys and you are still in the running for the free installation.

Customer:
I understand from a previous chat transcript that the operator said that the home assessment would need to be done prior to the ordering. How can I do that if I have not yet been contacted?

Roland:
The installation has to be done two weeks prior to receiving the vehicle not ordering the LEAF.

Customer:
Please let your operators know this then so that they provide the correct information. It causes anxiety.

Customer:
Your answer relieves my concern. Thank you.

Kataphn said:
I said another operator had posted on chat that the home assessment would need to be completed prior to ordering. I have Sept. order date.... :eek: with no assessment scheduled.
Actually, on that chat in the first post above, Nissan told the customer that the Assessment has to be SCHEDULED, but not completed, by the time of ordering. But I see your point; you want to at least be scheduled by eTec or AV before September. Not much time ... and although the additional chat you had was helpful ... it would be better if eTec (now called "ECOtality North America") got back to you already !

Kataphn said:
Roland:
Thank you for contacting Nissan Electric Vehicle Customer Support, my name is Roland. How may I help you today?

Customer:
Hello. I am a reservation holder for a Sept. order month. I was told in an email from Nissan that I was being considered for the EV project but they needed more information. I have not yet heard from them and am getting concerned.

Roland:
I appreciate your interest in the Nissan LEAF. I will be happy to assist you with this information, Kathleen.

Customer:
Some reservation holders got an email from etec on July 30 asking for the holder to contact them. I did not get this email.

Roland:
I understand your concern, however we do ask you to be patient.

Roland:
ECOtlality is still reviewing surveys and you are still in the running for the free installation.

Customer:
I understand from a previous chat transcript that the operator said that the home assessment would need to be done prior to the ordering. How can I do that if I have not yet been contacted?

Roland:
The installation has to be done two weeks prior to receiving the vehicle not ordering the LEAF.

Customer:
Please let your operators know this then so that they provide the correct information. It causes anxiety.

Customer:
Your answer relieves my concern. Thank you.

Hi Kat! I'm in the same situation, except they didn't get my first home questionnaire (had to do another) so I'm still waiting for approval too. I think that's why we may have received the Sept. order month instead of Aug. If I don't hear back by this Friday, I'm going to call them. :) I'm in the Phoenix area and part of the EV Project's territory.

I guess i have Hey problem. I have in august Order date. But have no Assessment Schedule at all. I'm not having A level 2 chargers installed at this time.

Sent from droid x

DaveinOlyWA said:
I guess i have Hey problem. I have in august Order date. But have no Assessment Schedule at all. I'm not having A level 2 chargers installed at this time.

Sent from droid x

Same here... What will happen to people who

1) Have No Home Assessment scheduled and not planning a charger installed.
2) No dealer picked in the acct profile.

Another question:
Suppose you have finalized your order, and say, you've waited 2 weeks and Nissan sends you the final delivery date. If one is unhappy with the delivery date, can you still back out of the deal, and get all monies returned?

Thanks in advance.

mxp said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Sent from droid x

Same here... What will happen to people who

1) Have No Home Assessment scheduled and not planning a charger installed.
2) No dealer picked in the acct profile.

Another question:
Suppose you have finalized your order, and say, you've waited 2 weeks and Nissan sends you the final delivery date. If one is unhappy with the delivery date, can you still back out of the deal, and get all monies returned?

Thanks in advance.

Most likely none of these things will make a difference but you most likely will need to pick a delivery location when you order.

I was told:

That there are about 230 people with August order dates.

There will probably be approximately only 40-50 vehicles delivered in December.

If you are on the 'we need more info' for the EVProject, the delay was in funding, and that's apparently fixed. Don't worry about the delay, they'll get to you before too much longer. EVProject should have evough money to give everyone on their list the free charger unless you have a really wierd installation.

While not definitive, Nissan seems to be poised to give preference to the EVProject people first (because of the monitoring agreement you have to sign), then AV charger people, and no LVL2 charger people last when it comes to early deliveries. This was just a feeling, nothing written or spoken, so it could be complete BS. It does make sense to me, though.

Choice of dealer may actually be important as Nissan may 'favor' one dealer over another due to demographics, locale, etc. (this is somewhat suspect in my mind, but entirely possible as well).

I won't reveal my source on this, but it's someone who ought to know. However, it's ALSO someone who has a vested interest in when/where/how August people order.

Discuss.
:cool:

Jimmydreams said:

Is that total 40-50 in the US or per market ?

I won't reveal my source on this, but it's someone who ought to know. However, it's ALSO someone who has a vested interest in when/where/how August people order.
Those may be "hopeful" statements rather than actual. In anycase, Nissan is probably still grappling with it. Given the low number of cars involved, they could allocate this manually - applying complex (and fuzzy) rules.

evnow said:
Jimmydreams said:

Is that total 40-50 in the US or per market ?

I am under the impression that is for the San Diego area.
evnow said:
Those may be "hopeful" statements rather than actual. In anycase, Nissan is probably still grappling with it. Given the low number of cars involved, they could allocate this manually - applying complex (and fuzzy) rules.

My thoughts exactly. And rules whose outcome (totally unknown to us) could be manipulated by the dealers. Until I have a key in my hand, I consider all info to be suspect.

I have no AV appointment (too expensive, EVSE not "portable"), and no "preferred" dealer (just to see what will happen), but I have a "September" order date.

Perhaps I will be LATE September ... like November?

Back