User avatar
Azrich
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 000604
Location: Tucson, AZ

Tucson area Leafers

Sun May 09, 2010 7:45 am

I've heard from Jason T near Vail. Other Tucson LEAF buyers, please introduce yourself. This is an area where we can discuss local LEAF events, dealerships, charging stations, solar energy, --- anything LEAF.

I've been in touch with Bookmans Bookstores and they plan at least one ChargePoint station at each store. They are already installed at the Grant and Ina stores in Tucson. They will be installing one at the Speedway store before fall.

Here's to many LEAFs cruising the streets of Tucson!!!
Nissan LEAF - Blue Ocean SL-E
Reserved - April 20, 3:20 pm - Ordered - September 8, 2010 - Delivery: - March 22, 2011 - VIN: 604
EV Project Blink - installed March 17
5.8 kW PV system with 27 SunPower 215 W panels

User avatar
Azrich
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 000604
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Mon May 10, 2010 9:34 am

Today I wrote an email, in their fill in the blank form, to the AZ Dept of Transportation asking them to consider a reduced registration fee for electric vehicles. If you think it could help go to https://wwwa.azdot.gov/contact_adot/index.aspx and send them a message.

Here is what I sent to them today:

Tucson and Phoenix are two of the eight U.S. cities where the Nissan LEAF electric vehicle will be introduced in December 2010. Nissan expects to sell about 1000 LEAFs by early 2012. This vehicle has zero emissions. Would the ADOT please consider reinstating the reduced registration fee for this new type of alternative fuel vehicle? The federal government is investing in the installation of hundreds of charging stations in Tucson, Phoenix, and the corridor between the two cities. I would ask you to please consider creating a special, lower registration fee for all 100% electric vehicles. Thank you.
Nissan LEAF - Blue Ocean SL-E
Reserved - April 20, 3:20 pm - Ordered - September 8, 2010 - Delivery: - March 22, 2011 - VIN: 604
EV Project Blink - installed March 17
5.8 kW PV system with 27 SunPower 215 W panels

SBNissanLeaf
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 am

Pardon my ignorance about something that you all here may have already discussed.

What are the 8 U.S. cities receiving Nissan EV's in December 2010?
We at the dealership level really have not been informed much yet.

User avatar
redLEAF
Gold Member
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Mon May 10, 2010 9:45 am

Azrich wrote:Today I wrote an email, in their fill in the blank form, to the AZ Dept of Transportation asking them to consider a reduced registration fee for electric vehicles. If you think it could help go to https://wwwa.azdot.gov/contact_adot/index.aspx and send them a message.

Here is what I sent to them today:

Tucson and Phoenix are two of the eight U.S. cities where the Nissan LEAF electric vehicle will be introduced in December 2010. Nissan expects to sell about 1000 LEAFs by early 2012. This vehicle has zero emissions. Would the ADOT please consider reinstating the reduced registration fee for this new type of alternative fuel vehicle? The federal government is investing in the installation of hundreds of charging stations in Tucson, Phoenix, and the corridor between the two cities. I would ask you to please consider creating a special, lower registration fee for all 100% electric vehicles. Thank you.


You could bring up the fact that other states are starting to renew the reduced license fees (in IL, 100% electric vehicles can be registered for 2 years at $38 versus ICE cars at $99/yr); our law on this is quite old but as Chicago could always improve its air quality it's good to see some recent action on it. As always, you'll probably need to contact your lawmakers versus your ADOT but couldn't hurt!
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2018?) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

User avatar
Azrich
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 000604
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Mon May 10, 2010 9:58 am

redLEAF, I used the AZ DOT formula to determine registration and license fees for the first year and I might be paying $550 !! Then they depreciate the value of the vehicle 16% each year. I know when I bought my Hyundai ($23,000) in 2003 my fee was about $425 for the first year. Now it is under $200. In 2002 they gave alternative fuel vehicles like the Prius a very reduced rate around $35 a year. This no longer exists but needs to be reinstated.

Good idea, I'll write my state legislators but as you might of heard, they are not the brightest bunch.
Nissan LEAF - Blue Ocean SL-E
Reserved - April 20, 3:20 pm - Ordered - September 8, 2010 - Delivery: - March 22, 2011 - VIN: 604
EV Project Blink - installed March 17
5.8 kW PV system with 27 SunPower 215 W panels

User avatar
redLEAF
Gold Member
Posts: 1688
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 am

Yes, it's interesting how creative the states get on fees to license cars ... for instance NH did it's annual fee based on the declining value of the car you're registering but of course NH has no sales or income taxes so overall you would still be ahead unless of course you have several expensive cars to register :mrgreen: in my case I went to college there so not so bad. As time goes by, hopefully other states will see the value of adding EV's to reduce air pollution by reducing license fees although I've heard that NE was adding a surcharge as they won't be getting any gas taxes from EV's on their roads!
2015 VW e-Golf LE (CPO - 1.2K miles!)
Pacific Blue
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
Cayenne Red
(Chicago 2018?) Tesla Model 3
reserved at Highland Park, IL 3/31/16
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

LEAFfan
Posts: 4826
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Wed May 12, 2010 9:55 pm

SBNissanLeaf wrote:Pardon my ignorance about something that you all here may have already discussed.

What are the 8 U.S. cities receiving Nissan EV's in December 2010?
We at the dealership level really have not been informed much yet.


Actually SB, there will be more than 8 U.S. cities in the initial rollout. Some people get confused about that. For instance, when they say 'Phoenix', that doesn't just mean Phoenix the city or Phoenix Proper, but the surrounding cities like Tempe, Scottsdale, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Avondale, etc. There are many 'subcities' that make up Phoenix. For instance, here in Tempe, the dealer closest to me is going to have the LEAF for the initial rollout, as well as the next closest in Chandler. I also believe that CA isn't just San Diego, but probably at least LA too. The same for all five states. So that's why it is just better to stick to 'a 5-state-rollout' terminology or 5 state regions.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

LEAFfan
Posts: 4826
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855
Location: Phoenix Area

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Wed May 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Azrich wrote:redLEAF, I used the AZ DOT formula to determine registration and license fees for the first year and I might be paying $550 !! Then they depreciate the value of the vehicle 16% each year. I know when I bought my Hyundai ($23,000) in 2003 my fee was about $425 for the first year. Now it is under $200. In 2002 they gave alternative fuel vehicles like the Prius a very reduced rate around $35 a year. This no longer exists but needs to be reinstated.

Good idea, I'll write my state legislators but as you might of heard, they are not the brightest bunch.


Richard, we don't want the hybrid plate reinstated! Hybrids like the Prius use GASOLINE and shouldn't even be allowed to use the HOV lanes. They still may give them to bi-fuels, but they shouldn't for them either. I'm glad that they discontinued that! The LEAF and other DEDICATED alternative fuel vehicles are in a WHOLE different class than hybrids as far as ADOT is concerned. We ALREADY have the reduced fees for BEVs and dedicated CNG vehicles like my Honda Civic GX. So pleeeeease, don't ask for ANY program like the hybrid one. Thanks.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

User avatar
Gonewild
Posts: 1262
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:05 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2011
Leaf Number: 229
Location: Chandler, AZ

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Thu May 13, 2010 11:16 am

Here is the link to intensives for AZ

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric- ... show/85226
Over 25,300 miles Plus - Now Sold/ Lease given back to Nissan 8-25-2012
Ordered Glacier Pearl Nissan Leaf SL eTech Edition on 8/31, Delivered March 1, 2011
POWERED By SunPower 5.16kw PV Solar home 3 Solar water panels.
Reserved 4/20

User avatar
Azrich
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 000604
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Sat May 15, 2010 10:18 am

Thank you, Gonewild! I had not explored this section of the Nissan website yet. Here's how I calculated the license fee:

LEAF SL = $33,720 times 1% = $337.50 (AFV assessed value)

$4 for every $100 assessed value = about $13.00 for the first year, $10.50 for the second year, and on down to the $5.00 minimum.

Not bad! That saves hundreds of dollars a year in license fees! Just another reason to buy a LEAF.
Nissan LEAF - Blue Ocean SL-E
Reserved - April 20, 3:20 pm - Ordered - September 8, 2010 - Delivery: - March 22, 2011 - VIN: 604
EV Project Blink - installed March 17
5.8 kW PV system with 27 SunPower 215 W panels

Return to “Local / Regional Discussions”