Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Re: Tucson area Leafers

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:30 pm

I posted this DCFC on Plugshare.com, but the address location for the Shell gas station puts it a little bit north of the actual location on the map. It's so hard to find the address for the place, and Plugshare requires a street address to put it on the map. If somebody can find a more accurate address that put it on the right place on the map, feel free to do so.

It's too bad that there is not a single DCFC in Tucson. If there were one, a day round trip to Tucson from Phoenix would become possible with the LEAF.

jlsoaz
Delivery Date: 10 Oct 2012
Leaf Number: 24218

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Anyone considering going to the January 8 meeting in Phoenix or Scottsdale? It's a 6-7 hour round trip for me in my HCV (longer of course in my Leaf if I do it that way), so I might not go, but just wondering about others.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11043

...I want to take this opportunity to announce that we will host an open house in the Phoenix area on Tuesday, January 8th. I am working with Tim Gallagher, who I think most of the west coast MNL people know well, to arrange this event. I will come back to you shortly with the details, but you can count on Andy Palmer attending, as will Billy Hayes, the newly appointed Vice President of Global Sales for the Nissan LEAF. Tim, Dave Reuter and I also will be there. Just as a heads up, this may be a breakfast event due to the various schedules that we’re attempting to juggle. If so, we would start at around 8 or 8:30 a.m. Let me know your thoughts on that. Tentative location is the Valley Ho in Scottsdale. Tim will have a quick charger on hand for those who require it.

In line with the Phoenix event, Chelsea – as a part of her advisory board efforts – has asked a few member to help ensure that the right questions are asked. I believe that Tony Williams and Phil Sadow are among those she is working with on that topic....
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/vehicle.php?vid=229
opinions expressed are my own

DesertDenizen
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 314507

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:16 am

Good day. I am considering selling my 2011 Leaf and leasing a new one. Anyone have any experience buying or selling a used Leaf here in Tucson. Anyone have a feel for the market? Thanks!
[color=#0040BF]Fully charged by photo voltaic system.
Nov 9 2014 got my 2015 lease, SL. My third Leaf. Tucson AZ. 5,500 miles, 5.2 long term m/kwh. Let us see if the 'lizard' battery does better than my 2011, which lost a capacity bar at 6,771 miles.

ewodraska
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1742

Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am

DesertDenizen wrote:Good day. I am considering selling my 2011 Leaf and leasing a new one. Anyone have any experience buying or selling a used Leaf here in Tucson. Anyone have a feel for the market? Thanks!

I tried to trade in my Leaf for a Volt. They would only give me $14k. I'm not sure about the used market, and I didn't try Carmax.
Silver SL QC Port Yakima Rack
4.38 miles/kW @ 21,397 miles driven,hand calc,6.4 miles/kW Carwings,5.0 miles/kW dash display
Lost first bar at 16 months & 13,146 miles
Lost second bat at 26 months & 21,397 miles
Tucson, AZ 5.98 kW PV System

jlsoaz

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi everyone:

I see there is a Leaf parked at the private residence on University next to Epic cafe, with a Prius next to it. Just wondering if they are on this board.

addendum: they pulled out a little while later and I happened to be on the phone outside so waved to them.
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL

evme

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I live in Tucson and am strongly considering leasing a Leaf and would like to get some input. My plan is to use the Leaf for city driving/commuting around town. How much do the extremely hot summer days affect the Leaf in terms of reduced range? Is parking the car in direct sun a bad idea (especially in the summer)? Also, has anyone here leased a Leaf from either of the Nissan dealerships in town, and, if so, how was your experience?

Thanks!

-evme

ewodraska
Delivery Date: 05 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1742

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 am

I would only sign on for a 2 year lease.
The battery cannot take the heat and will loose capacity rapidly.
Parking it in the sun is bad for the battery, but if you are leasing it won't matter much.
It's a great car for scooting around town though.
You shouldn't have a problem with range in two years. You may see a reduction in range during the winter, but not so much in the summer.
Silver SL QC Port Yakima Rack
4.38 miles/kW @ 21,397 miles driven,hand calc,6.4 miles/kW Carwings,5.0 miles/kW dash display
Lost first bar at 16 months & 13,146 miles
Lost second bat at 26 months & 21,397 miles
Tucson, AZ 5.98 kW PV System

DesertDenizen
Delivery Date: 11 Sep 2014
Leaf Number: 314507

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:59 am

I have a two year lease on my Leaf. It is perfect for me. See Venessa at Jim Click Nissan, she is just great.
[color=#0040BF]Fully charged by photo voltaic system.
Nov 9 2014 got my 2015 lease, SL. My third Leaf. Tucson AZ. 5,500 miles, 5.2 long term m/kwh. Let us see if the 'lizard' battery does better than my 2011, which lost a capacity bar at 6,771 miles.

jlsoaz

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:51 am

evme wrote:Hi everyone,

I live in Tucson and am strongly considering leasing a Leaf and would like to get some input. My plan is to use the Leaf for city driving/commuting around town. How much do the extremely hot summer days affect the Leaf in terms of reduced range? Is parking the car in direct sun a bad idea (especially in the summer)? Also, has anyone here leased a Leaf from either of the Nissan dealerships in town, and, if so, how was your experience?

Thanks!

-evme

Mostly seconding the advice you've received:

- Go with 2 year lease if you can get it (I was not able to, but since then maybe Nissan has relented a bit?) Leasing and not buying is important to my satisfaction.
- I think the leasing deals if anything have improved since a few months ago when I did it.
- Vanessa at Jim Click has seemed very good. Michelle at Thoroughbred also might be good, others can say.
- For the purposes you describe, the car is excellent.
- Will you be keeping a 2nd car for longer trips? Do you only have one car at present? In that case, your insurance and total expenditures may go up. For around-town only a Leaf I think is a great answer. If you have a more complex equation, then it is I think a personal calculation and considerations-balancing to decide what combination of cars you want. I think a Leaf can still work out as a stand-alone car for many people. My own view here is influenced heavily by my not being local to Tucson (I live down by Nogales, no public charge stations around, different situation than some other cars here).
- ask questions before the sale about how you will fund installation of your garage charger. Note that you don't *have to* get one one (you can trickle charge with the extension cord that comes with the vehicle) but you may well want to, and you may be eligible for some sort of deal or program.
- once you get the car, asking questions here in the newbie area is very helpful to getting started using your car.
- Parking in the summer Arizona sun for long periods is a no-no. Even if you're just leasing, there's not really a good reason to do it, unless it simply can't be helped, on rare occassion, but even then I would try hard not to do it. An issue would be shopping or working and parking in certain parking lots all day (as one might a gasoline car, without even thinking). This is to be avoided, but probably you can find a way to avoid this.
- Charging while also sitting in the direct Arizona summer sun would be very bad.
- there is another discussion group here to know about:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... m/evtucson
Overall, I'm satisfied. I think the first-inclination advice you got from the other folks was pretty good.
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL

jlsoaz

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:33 am

This is going on on Wednesday, down here by Nogales. I sent out this email, so copying to MNL. Please note that it is not necessary or intended for anyone to come... I don't know that it would be even that helpful (outside of us still needing to see if we can get one commercial public EVSE rep), but I wanted to keep Tucson folks informed, just really as a matter of general interest.

Subject: Update on public EV charge stations in Santa Cruz County, to be discussed at Study Session at Santa Cruz County Arizona Board Meeting, February 27, 1:30 PM

Hello everyone:

I'd like to offer an update.

To my knowledge, this is the address of the meeting:

>>http://www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/board/index.html
>>2150 N Congress Dr.
>>Nogales, AZ 85621
>>(520) 375-7800

The plan is:

- I'll speak for just a few minutes (My role here is to start the
conversation, not to ramble on).
- Colleen Crowninshield of the Federal Clean Cities program will
present.
- Possibly a representative of GoE3 will be coming down to give the
point of view of a commercial installer
- Jerry Asher, an experienced Leaf driver from Tucson, will also be
here to say a few words.

I've never been to a board meeting, but I"m assuming also we will be
there to answer questions. Also, Jerry and I will have our Nissan
Leafs present in case anyone wants a ride for a few miles (but keeping
in mind that there is no place nearby quickly to refuel the vehicles,
so the test rides will be very limted.... just to give a better idea
of things to those who want a better idea).

Note that I think there may be a story coming out in the Nogales
International on Tuesday regarding my car.

A general comment from me:

My own ideal near-term outcome, over the next year, would be to see
one or two additional stations between Nogales and Tucson, without
spending any County money. Rather I'd like to hope that we can
initiate some discussions between some commercial for-profit folks in
SC County and some commercial for-profit EV Charge Stations
installers.

For example, perhaps one or more of the local hotels and resorts would
consider an install, or perhaps something at one of the major retailer
parking lots, or near the Pilot station at exit 12.

My goal is not to try to suggest that we need dozens of charge
stations (as we see in Phoenix and Tucson) since after all there are
almost no plug-in vehicles down here. Nor do I want to suggest
spending taxpayer money. Rather, I'd just like to suggest that if we
"get on the map" (please see attached) then this might be a relatively
low-cost way to bring in a bit more business from Tucson.

Sincerely,

Josh
josh@jlaz.com
near Tucson, AZ, USA
Former lessee 2012 SL

Return to “Local / Regional Discussions”