Hawaii EV plates - not automatic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808pv

Hawaii Leaf owners, when your dealer calls to tell you your plates have come in, ask them to verify that the plates say 'EV' on them. Not all dealer staffers are aware that they need to make special arrangements on the DMV paperwork for this. (EV plates are required under state law for parking and HOV access.)

Just drove in to pick mine up, only to find out they weren't EV plates -- so now the paperwork has to be re-filed.

808pv said:
Hawaii Leaf owners, when your dealer calls to tell you your plates have come in, ask them to verify that the plates say 'EV' on them. Not all dealer staffers are aware that they need to make special arrangements on the DMV paperwork for this. (EV plates are required under state law for parking and HOV access.)

Just drove in to pick mine up, only to find out they weren't EV plates -- so now the paperwork has to be re-filed.

Sorry to hear that. Mine came through as EV plates but I went out of my way to make sure the Dealer understood they needed to ask for them. Marc at King Windward was good at understanding. Sorry he is gone. And yes, you do need the EV plates for the free parking. Note, you don't need EV plates to file for the EV rebate but there is no hurry because they haven't cut any rebate checks yet and it doesn't look like the $2,400,000 fund will be depleted any time soon.

Back