myleaf
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 000471

Re: Arizona- Registration & License Info Please HELP!

Fri May 13, 2011 6:15 am

I was in a similar situation in which I wanted to transfer my personalized wording from one car to another. I did not see a way to do it on the website, because it indicated that the personalized wording that I wanted was "taken". I was able to do it down at the DMV and do the transfer and order the plate. They issued a generic plate for the vehicle where the "wording" was comming from. If you do no longer need the plate, they can refund you what is left on that registration. (DMV was familar with this type of request). (Hint go to the DMV 15 min or so before it opens and you should be able to get out of there in an hour or so - depending on the line when you get there).
Leaf Number 471 2/2011
5/2017 69,900 miles
"Never met an electron I did not like"

RickS
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2013

Sun May 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Just to add this in there as I would not be at all surprised if dealerships completely messed up the registrations early on. The correct fuel type on the registration and title work needs to be fuel type "X". There is a fuel type "E" also, but this is incorrect, E is for NEV's. The registration cost will be the same if they put fuel type E instead, but it's better to avoid any potential hassle later on.

First year plates should be just a bit over $33. If you go to the DMV they will let you put up to a five year tag on the car since it's emissions exempt.

Also I'm curious if you guys received flat printed plates or the older embossed painted plates. AF plates here historically have a bad reputation for sun fading. The newer printed plates in theory should be much more durable.
leafbatteriescanttaketheheat.com/

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Sun May 29, 2011 7:18 pm

RickS wrote:First year plates should be just a bit over $33. If you go to the DMV they will let you put up to a five year tag on the car since it's emissions exempt. Also I'm curious if you guys received flat printed plates or the older embossed painted plates.

The AF plates, if you have bought the car, are only around $70 for five years. If you lease, you can get a two-year sticker for around $22.
There are no more 'raised' plates as they have switched to all flat characters. I love my 3-D AF plate and plan on using it for my LEAF.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

Azrich
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Leaf Number: 000604

Sun May 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Am I the only one with the regular AZ plate, (not alternative fuel) and paid the low fee charged for an electric vehicle? { See my avatar at the left. }

I read the DMV site a year ago and then called and talked to a representative at the AZ DMV and she was very helpful. Since electric vehicles were new to her, she got her supervisor to give me the information I wanted about transferring my regular AZ personalized plate (on my ICE) to the LEAF when it arrived. Last June I got the "LEAF EV" personalized plate for my ICE car to reserve it for my LEAF.

The day before my LEAF arrived I went to the DMV office to get a new plate for my ICE. They "suspended" the personalized plate so it could be used on the LEAf and gave me another plate for my ICE at no charge. The next day I took the personalized plate to the dealer when I picked up the LEAF. They made a photo copy of it and the person in charge of getting the title and registration sent that in to DMV. In a couple weeks the tab and registration came. I stuck on the tab and put on the plate.

I have no need for the HOA lanes since we don't have any in Tucson. I've seen at least one other LEAF in Tucson with regular AZ plates so I don't think the alternative fuel plates are required on electric vehicles.
Last edited by Azrich on Mon May 30, 2011 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan LEAF - Blue Ocean SL-E
Reserved - April 20, 3:20 pm - Ordered - September 8, 2010 - Delivery: - March 22, 2011 - VIN: 604
EV Project Blink - installed March 17
5.8 kW PV system with 27 SunPower 215 W panels

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Mon May 30, 2011 7:38 am

Do not "give up" or cancel your present personalization, or somebody else is likely to "snatch" it.

Yes, I would assume that plate personalization must unique within the state, and not specific to one "style" of plate.

It looks like you can get a generic AF plate initially, and then get either an AF plate personalized with "your" letters, or, possibly even (with special arrangements) use and substitute your old plate.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

RickS
Delivery Date: 11 Jun 2013

Mon May 30, 2011 1:01 pm

LEAFfan wrote:The AF plates, if you have bought the car, are only around $70 for five years. If you lease, you can get a two-year sticker for around $22.
There are no more 'raised' plates as they have switched to all flat characters. I love my 3-D AF plate and plan on using it for my LEAF.

If the plate is ordered it should be flat, but it's possible some DMV offices or some title services may still have left over embossed AF plates since the AF plates are not super common. I've heard of at least one person getting one.

As for leaving a regular plate on a Leaf I'm not aware that you can do this, but I suppose it's possible. By default they send you an AF plate. As long as the fuel type is X it's should be ok.
leafbatteriescanttaketheheat.com/

LEAFfan
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 1855

Mon May 30, 2011 1:16 pm

Azrich wrote:I've seen at least one other LEAF in Tucson with regular AZ plates so I don't think the alternative fuel plates are required on electric vehicles.

That could be (I believe MVD made a mistake), but I've never seen anything except an AF blue plate here in the Phoenix area on alt fuel cars. If you choose a regular plate here, you will pay full licensing fees and you wouldn't be allowed to use the HOV lanes.
2013 LEAF SV Del. 2/28/13
2013 LEAF World Record for Most Miles Driven On One Charge-188 miles/8.8 m/kW h
4.8 kW DC PV ($ .91/W fully installed)/ Dec., 2010

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:28 pm

Picked up my Leaf from Coulter Nissan yesterday. I paid around $33 or $35 for title and license (can't remember which), but Coulter charged me a surprise fee of their own for $17 to process the title and license for me. I didn't care much for this surprise but I didn't want to make a big deal so I just paid. I wouldn't have minded if they had told me up front. Other than that, everything else went great.

leafkabob
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2015
Leaf Number: 1827

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Volusiano wrote:Picked up my Leaf from Coulter Nissan yesterday. I paid around $33 or $35 for title and license (can't remember which), but Coulter charged me a surprise fee of their own for $17 to process the title and license for me. I didn't care much for this surprise but I didn't want to make a big deal so I just paid. I wouldn't have minded if they had told me up front. Other than that, everything else went great.

Good to see they finally figured out how to calculate the charges. They charged me $584, based on the value of the car rather than how alt fuel vehicles are supposed to be calculated. Even though I pointed out to them at the time that they were wrong. I was trying to be cooperative and I knew I would get a refund so I let it go.

I got a $550 refund a week later. They didn't charge me the $17 process fee and in fact the breakdown sheet they provided with my refund check showed a $4 "service fee" that they also didn't charge me. They already charge a "document preparation fee" so I don't see the need for the other fees.
Kelly

2011 White SL-e (sold back to Nissan on 01/10/2013)
2011Silver SL with new lizard battery purchased used on 9/9/2015
2018 Tesla Model 3 received 4/27/2018

Volusiano
Delivery Date: 03 Jun 2011

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:44 pm

leafkabob wrote:
Volusiano wrote:Picked up my Leaf from Coulter Nissan yesterday. I paid around $33 or $35 for title and license (can't remember which), but Coulter charged me a surprise fee of their own for $17 to process the title and license for me. I didn't care much for this surprise but I didn't want to make a big deal so I just paid. I wouldn't have minded if they had told me up front. Other than that, everything else went great.

Good to see they finally figured out how to calculate the charges. They charged me $584, based on the value of the car rather than how alt fuel vehicles are supposed to be calculated. Even though I pointed out to them at the time that they were wrong. I was trying to be cooperative and I knew I would get a refund so I let it go.

I got a $550 refund a week later. They didn't charge me the $17 process fee and in fact the breakdown sheet they provided with my refund check showed a $4 "service fee" that they also didn't charge me. They already charge a "document preparation fee" so I don't see the need for the other fees.
I know. That's why I wasn't too thrilled because Ryan told me it'd just be the $399 doc fee and title and license and tax and that's it. I totally agree the $17 should have been part of the doc fee. If they must add it in, then tell me the doc fee is $416. It gave me a bad taste in my mouth although it wasn't worth the hassle to argue with them so I didn't.

It's not the end of the story. After telling me title and license was $34, they rang up the bill and title & lic showed up as $622 on the invoice. If I hadn't caught that I would have been short changed a lot of cash. But I caught it and they said Oops, it wasn't supposed to ring up $622 and the system shouldn't have pushed it through, and they fixed it. But how do you not catch a big mistake like that if this is your job and you do it day in day out?

And they were trying pretty hard to sell me the factory extended warranty. 5 years for $1500 more. I told them but that's only 2 years longer than their basic 3 year warranty. They said yeah, but the basic warranty is very minimal and the extended warranty is very comprehensive. I'm like, are you dissing your own basic warranty as being very lacking? Really what's there to cover? there aren't that many parts that can break in the first place and if they do, it'd be under the basic 3 year warranty. But they kept on harping about how lacking their basic warranty is, which makes me laugh but is kind of sad on the other hand because they're willing to make their basic warranty look bad just so they can sell you more warranty.

But Ron and Miguel were great in delivering the vehicle. The only slightly annoying experience is with the finance people in pushing the extended warranty in a bad way and the $17 surprise and the $622 miscalculation.

Return to “Local / Regional Discussions”