Page 1 of 2

Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 pm
by akohekohe
I stopped by the Kahala Aloha Mini Mart on my way home (on my bicycle) Monday and they now have a Level III charging station. It will be ready for use on Wednesday (they are having a ceremony at 10:00 am). There is also one available at the Aloha Mini Mart in Waipio and the Shell in Kailua. I've confirmed the Waipio one is open but don't know for sure about the Kailua one. I paid extra for the level III capacity so I'm happy to finally have some available on the island! Apparently they will be free during an introductory period (I'm not sure how long that will be).

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:36 pm
by tbleakne
What brands of L3 ? Blink, 350green, AV, Eaton, other ?

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:43 pm
by TEG
Related:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/release ... 395ae6c081
...Thanks to the cooperative efforts of Mitsubishi Motors and diversified power management solutions company Eaton Corporation – an official electric vehicle charging equipment supplier for MMNA and supplier for commercial Level 2 charging stations at its EV certified dealerships – the Honolulu area and the island of O'ahu are seeing a rapid expansion in the number of safe and convenient Eaton electric vehicle (EV) charging stations installed on Hawaii's most populous island.

Eaton will soon have an ultra-fast DC electric vehicle (EV) quick charger at Ko Olina Resort – one of the premier vacation destinations in Hawaii. The Eaton DC Quick Charger can replenish an empty 2012 Mitsubishi i main lithium-ion battery pack to 80% full in under 30 minutes...


http://factory-automation.blogspot.com/ ... wners.html
Image

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:46 pm
by TheBiologist
The Kailua Shell DC Quick-charge is operational! Charged there on Thursday :D

It is free for "a couple of months", I have been told be the station manager. You have to go in to the store to have the attendant swipe the FOB if you don't have an AeroVironment card yet.

Note to the person who was plugged in way past being full--please don't just leave your car parked there past your charge time! That is not fair to others. Let's all play nice and share these. Thanks.

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:04 am
by ElectricVehicle
TheBiologist wrote:The Kailua Shell DC Quick-charge is operational! Charged there on Thursday :D

It is free for "a couple of months", I have been told be the station manager. You have to go in to the store to have the attendant swipe the FOB if you don't have an AeroVironment card yet.

Note to the person who was plugged in way past being full--please don't just leave your car parked there past your charge time! That is not fair to others. Let's all play nice and share these. Thanks.
Ask the owner to please put up a standard 30 minute time limit on the parking space sign or you will be towed with reference to the vehicle code and towing company. Good ole, standard parking time limit or you will be trowed sign is the easy, standard way to solve the problem in a way that people have been familiar with since they started driving.

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:40 am
by DaveinOlyWA
interesting button color choices

start-blue
stop-green?

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:47 pm
by spleenster
DaveinOlyWA wrote:interesting button color choices

start-blue
stop-green?


Seems to be a CHAdeMO standard. Most of the pictures of the CHAdeMO chargers I've seen (admittedly never seen one in person yet) seem to use blue for start and green for stop. Weird, I agree.

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:01 pm
by DaveinOlyWA
spleenster wrote:
DaveinOlyWA wrote:interesting button color choices

start-blue
stop-green?


Seems to be a CHAdeMO standard. Most of the pictures of the CHAdeMO chargers I've seen (admittedly never seen one in person yet) seem to use blue for start and green for stop. Weird, I agree.


well i have used a few of them and our "standard" is green-go, red-stop

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:10 pm
by akohekohe
The one at Kahala broke the first day. According to the attendant I talked to someone tried to put it in wrong, forced it, and broke a pin. They hope to have it fixed later this week. Try calling first if you are planning on using it.

Re: Level III Comes to O'ahu

Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:33 am
by DaveinOlyWA
akohekohe wrote:The one at Kahala broke the first day. According to the attendant I talked to someone tried to put it in wrong, forced it, and broke a pin. They hope to have it fixed later this week. Try calling first if you are planning on using it.


ok, i admit i have ONLY used AV DCFCs so have no experience with Blink or Eaton, but how can one put it in wrong? does not the plug simply plug in straight up? no twist handle to left, no twist handle to right?? just straight in right?

on AV, to plug it in incorrectly would require a lot of energy to turn the very heavy cable from its normal position