New DOE Video about Multi-Unit Vehicle charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

San Diego is featured in a new DOE YouTube video aimed at Multi-Unit Developments, including a PEV Overview, and lots of relevant facts related to vehicle charging challenges, and more...Car2Go, City Front Terrace solution, ECOtality, lots of great information....

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwHlIlVdtc&feature=share&list=UUekDhe50SU1Mg65iOICjaGw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy said:
San Diego is featured in a new DOE YouTube video aimed at Multi-Unit Developments, including a PEV Overview, and lots of relevant facts related to vehicle charging challenges, and more...Car2Go, City Front Terrace solution, ECOtality, lots of great information....

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwHlIlVdtc&feature=share&list=UUekDhe50SU1Mg65iOICjaGw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey, I know most of those guys! Did you write that?

It is a small EV world in San Diego, isn't it?

The shooting schedule was very short, so I thought they did a great job with what they had...

Unfortunately we have a problem here in Texas. The vast majority of the people living in M.U.D.'s around here are low-income families. And the apartment complexes are not likely to want to install charging stations. Of course, even if they did, the residents probably can't afford an EV right now. However, in a few years when there are more used EVs on the market at an affordable price, more apartment dwellers will likely want to buy one, but I'm not sure how long it will be until more apartments have charging stations.

Good video, but the section on L2 240V charging had a few errors/inconsistencies.

Charge rate can vary from 6-80A (not 20-80A), though in practice most plug-ins will draw between 12-30A on your typical L2 station for an equivalent of 10-25 mi/hr. The way it was presented was a bit confusing.

Charges on a simple chord set
I noticed that too. I was wondering, "What, are they going to play music while it charges?"

Good video, but the section on L2 240V charging had a few errors/inconsistencies.
Yeah, at one point I heard him say something like DC level 2 charging uses 480 volts or something to that effect.. I've never heard DC charging of any kind referred to as Level 2.

adric22 said:
Charges on a simple chord set
I noticed that too. I was wondering, "What, are they going to play music while it charges?"

Yeah, at one point I heard him say something like DC level 2 charging uses 480 volts or something to that effect.. I've never heard DC charging of any kind referred to as Level 2.

I believe they said 440 volts, which clearly is not correct for the last several decades. The Level 2 DC is correct per SAE (they changed it from Level 3), which is just dumb and confusing to the public.

The good news is that we can call it whatever we want, and I'll will continue to refer to as "level 3" when interacting with the public.

I call it "grades of gas", 1, 2 or 3.

Back