EV Rate Plans - Southern Edison

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PALMER

i just got off the phone with southern edison and i am so now confused about the TOU plan. it sounds like i am going to pay more than i thought for the electric bill. can someone explain to me the following rate plans from southern edison. has anyone switched to the TOU plan and found that it working for them?

Residential Rate Plan (Schedule D)
Tier 1 Rate Tier 2 Rate Tier 3 Rate Tier 4 Rate
13 ¢ /kWh 16 ¢ / kWh 27 ¢ / kWh 31 ¢ / kWh

Home & Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-D-TEV)
Summer Winter
Tier 1 Rate Tier 2 Rate Tier 1 Rate Tier 2 Rate
On-Peak
10 AM to 6 PM weekdays 28 ¢ / kWh 47 ¢ / kWh 16 ¢ / kWh 35 ¢ / kWh
Off-Peak
6 a.m. to 10 a.m.
6 p.m. to midnight 12 ¢ / kWh 31 ¢ / kWh 11 ¢ / kWh 30 ¢ / kWh
Super Off-Peak
Midnight to 6 AM every day 9 ¢ / kWh 9 ¢ / kWh 10 ¢ / kWh 10 ¢ / kWh

Southern California Edison?

I think mine dropped $50 when I switched. Not much home activity from 10a to 6p during the week. If you work from home, have family at home etc during peak hours your usage might work against you.

My super off peak usage is high with LEAF, air conditioning, dish washer etc that can run after midnight.

Some things are a PITN such as I hesitate to charge in the day unless really needed. Laundry is not always done during off peak etc. Electric oven baked meal after work is rare anyway.

Do you have electric water heater? Pool?

After a year I decided to get 3kW of solar so now I sell back mostly at on peak rates and buy most super off peak. Bill dropped 80%+ even though solar only produces 50%.

I think you can switch back if you really go under water. But if you switch back, you must stay for a year before you try again.

I am on the TOU plan from SCE. Like smkettner I also have solar panels on my roof.

The basic difference between the plans is with Residential, you pay for how much you use, no matter when you use it, and on the TOU plan, you pay more or less depending on the time you use it.

So for me, with solar panels, during peak, I am generating more than what my house uses, so I rarely ever pay for power during the day. I set my Leaf to end it's charging cycle by 5:00 am, so it always charges at super off peak rates.

Last year, my annual electricity bill was about $700. And when I was on the Residential plan, it was about 10% more.

I also have TOU-D-TEV with solar. We have 5.2 kW solar and haven't paid an electric bill in 7 years. Details on my blog, linked below in my sig.

Quick answer is that without solar, you'll still probably do better with the TOU plan as long as you don't use much power during the Peak hours, and you charge the car during Super Off Peak. You'll probably use about 250 to 350 kWh per month for car charging. If you can do that for 10 cents or less per kWh using the TOU plan, you'll come out ahead versus paying the Tier 4 rate on the regular Tiered plan.

Heavy weekday daytime power draw will kill the benefit of TOU.

With home solar, it's a no brainer. TOU is the way to go unless you have heavy WEEKDAY AC use or other Peak power draw.

thanks for the answers. i do not have solar on my home.
i'll just be charging at night. since i only use 50% of my battery per day, i'll be charging around 10kw per night, assuming i'm only charging to 80%.

since i moved into a new house, i have to wait and see what my tier category looks like. we don't have AC and only use the heater set at 72 degrees.

it seems like i'll be paying more for my peak hours if i switch to TOU. even though i'll get a better rate for my car at off-peak. i guess its a balancing game.

PALMER said:
thanks for the answers. i do not have solar on my home.
i'll just be charging at night. since i only use 50% of my battery per day, i'll be charging around 10kw per night, assuming i'm only charging to 80%.

since i moved into a new house, i have to wait and see what my tier category looks like. we don't have AC and only use the heater set at 72 degrees.

it seems like i'll be paying more for my peak hours if i switch to TOU. even though i'll get a better rate for my car at off-peak. i guess its a balancing game.

Wait-and-see is fine, of course. But my take is that without AC, your Peak usage will be small enough that you won't get hurt by the TOU rates. Remember that 10 kWh per day for car charging is 300 kWh per month, and if you can do that at 10 cents per kWh, you'll save $30 per month compared with charging at 20 cents or more per kWh on the regular Tiered plan.

Back