SDG&E EV-TOU2 Billing issue

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philip

Just a heads up for those on net metering and EV-TOU2, my billing statement dated 5/2/17 did not include any off-peak usage - which should be a small ~50kWh credit for me this month.  Sent an e-mail off to them and see what happens - took SDG&E three months to fix last years billing issue I had (same #'s in peak and off-peak back then).

I just checked my billing. Same issue - no off peak charges. In fact, my bill cut yesterday and appears 100kw less than the meter I monitor on line. I'm assuming this means incompetent SDGE is not billing my second meter? I just paid my annual true up today.

Hi Guys,
The 5/2 billing issue could be related to the seasonal transition on May 1 from winter to summer. You should see two tables with consumption and charges, each one labeled by the season, and the summer table would just have one or two days worth of consumption. It's possible that your off-peak consumption was off-set by your off-peak generation for that summer couple of day period. I just looked at my own bill, and that's what it looks like for me (no off-peak charges for two days).

By the way, LeafPowerlslxE, I'm interested to learn more about your 100 kW peak demand. That must be a pretty large service you have... :)

Good catch - I meant kWh. My 7.2 KW solar produces about 850-950 kWh per month. I have some high energy saps on the meter (well pump, pool pump, Asian wife...). I'm net positive about 300-350 kWh per month on the meter. I still think the EV meter for the Leaf is not registering. I didn't drive the car for about 5 years, and since I started driving the vehicle regularly in January my bill has remained about the same.

Randy said:
Hi Guys,
The 5/2 billing issue could be related to the seasonal transition on May 1 from winter to summer. You should see two tables with consumption and charges, each one labeled by the season, and the summer table would just have one or two days worth of consumption. It's possible that your off-peak consumption was off-set by your off-peak generation for that summer couple of day period. I just looked at my own bill, and that's what it looks like for me (no off-peak charges for two days).

The billing has zero usage for the off-peak for the entire month - it shows this on the net metering page even. My actual off-peak usage was 51 kWh of generation last month.

A nice SDG&E rep just reached out to me and confirmed the issue as well. I've learned to read my bills pretty closely as SDG&E has billed me incorrectly a total of four times now. :roll: Fortunately the My Energy page on SDG&E site always seems to be correct and I also log my usage using a Rain Forest Eagle as well which connects to the meter over zigbee which helps me locate these mistakes.

For EV drivers in San Diego Gas and Electric country, good news on the Electric Vehicle Climate Credit that hopefully you applied for in May. Cross-posting from Michael Iimura from the RAV4 EV group:

SDG&E just released the final details of their 2017 Electric Vehicle Climate Credit. They will be issuing bill credits of $200 for each vehicle registered with the program on or before May 31, 2017. It was initially estimated at $50/vehicle/year. Each year they will see what their LCFS credits are worth and how many vehicles are registered with the program for that year to determine the amount. This will continue to 2020. If you have small bills due to Net Metering, or any other reason, you can request a check for your credit balance after the Climate Credit is applied.

SDG&E allowed credit for multiple EVs and plug-in hybrids. However I missed a second credit by two days because it turns out the vehicle needed to be registered in California as of February 28, 2017. On the other hand the good news is I was only thinking the credit would be $50 so $200 is totally unexpected.

philip said:
A nice SDG&E rep just reached out to me and confirmed the issue as well. I've learned to read my bills pretty closely as SDG&E has billed me incorrectly a total of four times now.

I've had numerous issues with SDG&E billing over the years. In 2015 at one point SDG&E stopped sending me statements all together. I contacted them several times regarding the issue. Finally I received a statement for 8 months of usage and it was incorrectly calculated. Also I learned in California customers can only be back billed for a maximum of 90 days. I called SDG&E up once again and notified them of this tariff condition. I received a revised statement a few days later that only included the prior 3 months.

Here's an article on their billing issues if you've not seen it. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/energy-green/sd-fi-sdge-bills-20170217-story.html

Back