SDG&E Energy Waves

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIAC

When SDG&E installed my EV ToU meter the also swapped out my smart meter. They pointed me to their Energy Waves to get the readings from these meters. The way it work is the they read both meters once a month and then a couple of days later you can log on to Energy Waves and examine the data in 15 minute increments. Far from real time but still useful. It provides some nice graphs. You can also view and download the raw data if you like.

Go here to register for Energy Waves. For some reason I had to enter my old meter number to register.

Worked fine for me using my new smart meter number installed only Jan 7, 2011.

Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard of this site yet.

TT

ttweed said:
Worked fine for me using my new smart meter number installed only Jan 7, 2011.

Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard of this site yet.

TT
With your smart meter, you can use the Google PowerMeter application and get daily updates in 10 minute intervals. But once you get your LEAF, and go with the EV ToU tariff, SDG&E replaces your smart meter with a non-smart GE meter. They also use that same style of meter on your EV circuit. So the main meter sees all the usage and they subtract the usage from the EV meter to determine your bill. Energy Waves is the only way to get your detailed data from those GE meters.

Hmm, I signed up and registered and looked at the data, but didn't see any detailed usage information... wonder if that's because I'm NET metered? I do have a new smart meter that works with NET metering.

Can you post a screenshot of the detailed 15min data you're looking at?

sdbonez said:
pretty sure I read google power meter isn't compatible w/net metering through SDG&E
Yes, SDGE integration with google power meter if you are net-metered is definitely not available at this time...

But this is something different...

drees said:
Hmm, I signed up and registered and looked at the data, but didn't see any detailed usage information...
After you sign on to your Energy Waves account, select "View Your Interval Data". It's in the middle of the page just to the right of "submit". It will take you to a new page. On that page select the meter, the desired month from the pull down menu, select "download" button, and press submit. It's a 24 hour clock, so the first cell will be 0015 (12:00am - 12:15am) and the kilowatts used (eg 0.9).

ENIAC said:
With your smart meter, you can use the Google PowerMeter application and get daily updates in 10 minute intervals. But once you get your LEAF, and go with the EV ToU tariff, SDG&E replaces your smart meter with a non-smart GE meter. They also use that same style of meter on your EV circuit. So the main meter sees all the usage and they subtract the usage from the EV meter to determine your bill. Energy Waves is the only way to get your detailed data from those GE meters.

I presently have the GE non-smart meter from SDG&E for use with Net Metering and DR-SES rate schedule (Time-of-use). I'm trying to wrap my head around how the deductive billing process works with two different TOU rate schedules in use. What I mean is that the home is on a different time of use rate schedule than the Leaf will be on. Home is on DR-SES and Leaf will be on the new experiemental rates. These two rate schedules have different time periods for Peak, Off Peak, etc. So for the home's bill to be correct the clocks on the two meters must be synchronized and the deduction for the 2nd EV meter must be done on a real time basis in the correct rate period for the home (DR-SES). Wouldn't it have been easier just to have both meters accumulate separately and bill separately for home and EV use?

ENIAC said:
After you sign on to your Energy Waves account, select "View Your Interval Data". It's in the middle of the page just to the right of "submit". It will take you to a new page. On that page select the meter, the desired month from the pull down menu, select "download" button, and press submit. It's a 24 hour clock, so the first cell will be 0015 (12:00am - 12:15am) and the kilowatts used (eg 0.9).
Yeah, I don't seem to have that option.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

drees said:
ENIAC said:
Yeah, I don't seem to have that option.
Do you have the GE digital (non-smart) meter? If so, have they read it at least once? They connect to the meter and fetch all the data. This is then loaded for billing. At that point the Energy Waves application can display it.

ENIAC said:
Do you have the GE digital (non-smart) meter? If so, have they read it at least once? They connect to the meter and fetch all the data. This is then loaded for billing. At that point the Energy Waves application can display it.
I think it's an itron smart meter... I'll check later...

It's the other way around.. the iTron OpenWay meters are networked. ("Smart" in weird utility parlance.)

The GE kV2 meters are actually smarter, but not networked. They have to send a meter reader to your house to read the GE, over the optical interface.

GE = TOU
iTron = everyone else, even Net Metered folks not on TOU now.

ENIAC said:

Do you have a document from SDG&E that describes how to accomplish the meter subtraction installation, i.e., a set of installation standards for meters used with EVSE? Neither PG&E or SCE have this option and I'm trying to convince PG&E that they should allow it. It would save us a bunch of money relative to having a 2nd service main (or branch main) installed.

gascant said:
ENIAC said:

Do you have a document from SDG&E that describes how to accomplish the meter subtraction installation, i.e., a set of installation standards for meters used with EVSE? Neither PG&E or SCE have this option and I'm trying to convince PG&E that they should allow it. It would save us a bunch of money relative to having a 2nd service main (or branch main) installed.
Send an email to [email protected].

Google PowerMeter being defunct, and not having a TED, I was excited to get an email today from SDG&E announcing availability of our net metering smart meter interval data online...this is now part of the regular electric meter account, not the old energy waves site. Here's a sample at 15-minute resolution showing overnight, daytime solar excess generation, evening cooking/TV, and Leaf charge:

68x1ex.png

wsbca said:
I was excited to get an email today from SDG&E announcing availability of our net metering smart meter interval data online...this is now part of the regular electric meter account, not the old energy waves site.
Nice! I haven't gotten the email and checked my account - couldn't find anything like that.

Do you have a separate EV meter, too?

drees said:
wsbca said:
I was excited to get an email today from SDG&E announcing availability of our net metering smart meter interval data online...this is now part of the regular electric meter account, not the old energy waves site.
Nice! I haven't gotten the email and checked my account - couldn't find anything like that.

Do you have a separate EV meter, too?

No, we stuck with the single meter and schedule DR for the project, which may have something to do with why this feature is available for us - we have the "regular" new net metering smart meter that was put in last January. When I log in to My Account, the tab this is under is "My Energy", which presents a link called Energy Charts. It seems a little buggy (sometimes goes to an error page.)

We got our original smart meter in mid-2010 along with everyone else, which was then swapped back out for an analog meter just a few weeks later when our solar system went live, then we got a net-metering capable smart meter in January, after having declined the second meter for the EV project. And, at that time, that new net metering smart meter couldn't participate in google powermeter or my energy but they said eventually there would be data available from it, and here we are.

Just got the SDG&E email.

Go to http://www.ssge.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; web site, choose "My Account",

Only 3 days of data so far, including yesterday, but not today.

Back