Any input would be greatly appreciated

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachcliffs

If I am reading things correctly, it appears that my family should switch to the TOU-D-TEV program too.

Our situation is as follows:
  • *Existing 5.6kW PV system in place (26 Sharp 216s) generating about 6.5kW per year
    *Historical household annual electrical usage approximately 10kW (paying for 3.5kW)
    *Current meter is "old school" (no upgrade by SCE yet)
    *Wife and I both work, so no one home between 8am and 4pm
    *No AC in the home
    *Leaf to be delivered April (probably May)
    *Leaf will be driven about 44 miles roundtrip per work day (about 10,000 miles per year)
    *AV quote at $3,000 leading us to consider just using trickle charge at first
    *Assuming 4.5 miles per hour via trickle charge, it looks like we will need to charge for 10 hours per work day (8pm to 6am) meaning we will be using 4 hours of "off-peak" and 6 hours of "super off-peak" per day

Does this all seem about right? Do you need an EVSE to go to TOU-D-TEV?

Also, only marginally related, but has anyone looked into placing a wind-turbine on thier roof? I am thinking this might be our next step as we do get a pretty regular breeze here in Hermosa Beach.

Beachcliffs said:
*Assuming 4.5 miles per hour via trickle charge, it looks like we will need to charge for 10 hours per work day (8pm to 6am) meaning we will be using 4 hours of "off-peak" and 6 hours of "on-peak" per day

I think you mean 4 hours of off-peak and 6 hours of super-off-peak?

One thing I suggest is to be sure to take into account the potential for non-commute weekday mileage (side trips) - we're finding that a day with just the direct commute is rarer than we thought. It may be that you have no such activity, but that's definitely not true for us, and we didn't really anticipate it - maybe your 44 miles does.

Yes, I meant 6 hours of "Super Off-Peak" thanks for noticing the error.

I also added that SCE has not yet upgraded our "old school" meter.

We use approximately 10,000 hours per year (sorry that was not clear)

You may consider posting in one of the utility areas that are applicable or change the title to be more relevant to the subject for reference.

Back