shay
Delivery Date: 04 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3285

Re: EVGO, why?

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Has anyone been convinced to use EVGO on this thread which I think was the original intent of it? There are a few supporters of it on this thread; however, one of them has cancelled or is about to cancel his leaf order.

leafwing
Delivery Date: 24 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0573

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:48 pm

shay wrote:Has anyone been convinced to use EVGO on this thread which I think was the original intent of it? There are a few supporters of it on this thread; however, one of them has cancelled or is about to cancel his leaf order.

No.
Lost the first capacity bar on 7/04/2012.
Lost the second bar on 6/26/2013.
Lost the third bar on 6/17/2014.
Lost the Fourth Capacity bar on 6/7/2015.

SierraQ
Delivery Date: 02 Sep 2011

Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Yes, we have been convinced of EVGO. To make EVGO attractive I think you have to fall into one or more of these categories:

1) You will use most of the Leaf's capacity at least every weekday thus requiring a full charge (which EVGO pays for on the top plan)
2) You would rather not pay for the charging station in the same year you buy the Leaf (so you essentially rent one)
3) Your commute or weekend travel is long enough that sometimes (or all the time) you need access to charging stations due to random errands, weather, traffic and such that require extending your range
4) You want the peace of mind of having charging stations especially during the first few years as you get to know your Leaf

As it is my family lines up with all of these and the finances are close to a wash or perhaps slightly in our favor depending on how often we use the stations.

The only snag is that we too are in a co-op so the question of getting reimbursed for home electricity is still being worked. So it's not a done deal and if EVGO can't figure this out we may end up waiting for them to roll out a plan that does not include the home charger, or a pay-per-use plan, or dropping them altogether.
However, we have been told that they are working with the co-ops and alternative options to allow them to service co-op customers. From what I can tell this is more of a technological accounting hurdle than anything else so I am hopeful they'll get this resolved in time for our Leaf.
"Please tell me this doesn't run on gas! Gas explodes, you know?" --Susan in I-Robot

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:02 pm

tzzhc4 wrote:I can't image people will use their facilities for much other than emergencies if they do 10 bucks a quick charge. Also not sure I see the average user doing 5 quick charges a month. I get around most of Dallas with no quick charging already with little more than planning. If someone's use of their EV depends heavily on regular quick charging they probably shouldn't be driving an EV and would be better served with a high efficiency diesel.

The business case for any commercial L3 charging network is very marginal at best.. most people will just charge at home and most people dont drive enough to run out of range in a Leaf. L3 networks must be bundled with something else for it to make sense, restaurants, shopping centers ect, so EVGO must make their money from the home L2 EVSE. Maybe after we have a couple million BEVs in the wild.

tzzhc4
Delivery Date: 02 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2192

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Herm wrote:The business case for any commercial L3 charging network is very marginal at best.. most people will just charge at home and most people dont drive enough to run out of range in a Leaf. L3 networks must be bundled with something else for it to make sense, restaurants, shopping centers ect, so EVGO must make their money from the home L2 EVSE. Maybe after we have a couple million BEVs in the wild.

Agreed on the destinations being the draw. I actually went to "Whiskey Cake" because I heard they had chargers and were handing Blink RFID cards Turned out to be a nice place, which a good bar and good food.
Cayenne Red SL-e, VIN 2192. Reserved: 4/20/10. Ordered: 10/2/10. Delivered: 6/2/11. Ingineer upgraded factory EVSE

tzzhc4

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:48 pm

SierraQ wrote:Yes, we have been convinced of EVGO. To make EVGO attractive I think you have to fall into one or more of these categories:

1) You will use most of the Leaf's capacity at least every weekday thus requiring a full charge (which EVGO pays for on the top plan)
2) You would rather not pay for the charging station in the same year you buy the Leaf (so you essentially rent one)
3) Your commute or weekend travel is long enough that sometimes (or all the time) you need access to charging stations due to random errands, weather, traffic and such that require extending your range
4) You want the peace of mind of having charging stations especially during the first few years as you get to know your Leaf

As it is my family lines up with all of these and the finances are close to a wash or perhaps slightly in our favor depending on how often we use the stations.

The only snag is that we too are in a co-op so the question of getting reimbursed for home electricity is still being worked. So it's not a done deal and if EVGO can't figure this out we may end up waiting for them to roll out a plan that does not include the home charger, or a pay-per-use plan, or dropping them altogether.
However, we have been told that they are working with the co-ops and alternative options to allow them to service co-op customers. From what I can tell this is more of a technological accounting hurdle than anything else so I am hopeful they'll get this resolved in time for our Leaf.

When I last spoke to EVGO they made it sound like working with co-ops wouldn't happen so I am surprised to hear they have changed their tune and curious as to the outcome.

Check out Blink and Chargepoint. They both have more charging locations in Dallas than EVGO does and neither requires a 3 year subscription. And there are all the Nissan dealerships (some are even available after hours). Also there are other EVSE not just buying from AV and likely will be more available in the near future.
Cayenne Red SL-e, VIN 2192. Reserved: 4/20/10. Ordered: 10/2/10. Delivered: 6/2/11. Ingineer upgraded factory EVSE

SierraQ
Delivery Date: 02 Sep 2011

Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 am

tzzhc4 wrote:When I last spoke to EVGO they made it sound like working with co-ops wouldn't happen so I am surprised to hear they have changed their tune and curious as to the outcome.

I think it depends on who you talk to. As I said I think it is a technological hurdle (co-op accounting systems won't talk to EVGO systems). What I exactly heard was the progress is slow (but not necessarily abandoned) so they are exploring alternatives. This was last month. In the end I expect they will invent some non-ideal but workable solution. There is a lot of Texas under co-ops.

In any case our Leaf delivery (that is, next postponement notice) is in a few months... :? So there is time to work this issue out.

tzzhc4 wrote:Check out Blink and Chargepoint. They both have more charging locations in Dallas than EVGO does and neither requires a 3 year subscription. And there are all the Nissan dealerships (some are even available after hours). Also there are other EVSE not just buying from AV and likely will be more available in the near future.

Thanks. I'm just beginning to realize that there are some alternatives. They certainly aren't well published but people on this forum have mapped them out so that helps. The big draw with EVGO is the L3 charging (from what I can see they are the ONLY L3 charging). That would be so perfect as I could just stop for 5 minutes to get enough juice to go home as opposed to much longer on these L2s.

I'm somewhat in agreement with EVGOs primary value-add argument that L2 chargers are not as useful except at home or work. No one wants to sit at a dealership for 2 hours waiting for a decent charge. Well, maybe if a Starbucks is nearby. ;)
"Please tell me this doesn't run on gas! Gas explodes, you know?" --Susan in I-Robot

davewill

Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:25 am

SierraQ wrote:No one wants to sit at a dealership for 2 hours waiting for a decent charge. Well, maybe if a Starbucks is nearby. ;)
Isn't there ALWAYS a Starbucks nearby?
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

tzzhc4

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:25 pm

SierraQ wrote:Thanks. I'm just beginning to realize that there are some alternatives. They certainly aren't well published but people on this forum have mapped them out so that helps. The big draw with EVGO is the L3 charging (from what I can see they are the ONLY L3 charging). That would be so perfect as I could just stop for 5 minutes to get enough juice to go home as opposed to much longer on these L2s.

I'm somewhat in agreement with EVGOs primary value-add argument that L2 chargers are not as useful except at home or work. No one wants to sit at a dealership for 2 hours waiting for a decent charge. Well, maybe if a Starbucks is nearby. ;)

Carstations.com is a good source. I know a lot of people try and update/add stations as they find them (I do at least).

http://carstations.com/

tzzhc4

Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:26 pm

davewill wrote:Isn't there ALWAYS a Starbucks nearby?

I was at a charger in the middle of nowhere near Sherman, TX and there was a Starbucks next door. :)

Return to “Utilities”