Sun roof for the Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
littlegreen said:
Has anyone looked into a sunroof for the Leaf?
I have read articles that say you will never see one on an EV because of the drag it creates.
The weight and motors are another issue.

The sleek exterior of the Leaf gives the car a low coefficient of drag, meaning the Leaf is one of the most aerodynamic vehicles on the market. In fact, Nissan will not offer a sunroof on the Leaf and has no plans to do so solely because sunroofs create drag and weigh the vehicle down, thus draining the vehicle’s electric driving range.
http://www.automobile.com/2012-nissan-leaf-review.html

jcesare said:
littlegreen said:
I have read articles that say you will never see one on an EV because of the drag it creates.

Tesla Model S will feature a large sunroof/moonroof option...

A well designed sun roof won't add any significant drag. There are lots of choices, so I'd make sure you were not working the air conditioning too much, by allowing more UV rays in.

As to weight, well, or course it will weigh more. But, you're also cutting out a big piece of metal to offset some of that.

If you like it, I'd do it. The only real problem I've had with sun roofs is leaking.

I wonder if it would make more sense to install something like this. With a little luck they'll be offering a customized solution for the Leaf, especially when the sales volume picks up.

http://www.solarelectricalvehicles.com/products.shtml

TonyWilliams said:
As to weight, well, or course it will weigh more. But, you're also cutting out a big piece of metal to offset some of that.

I dont find much use for sun or moon roofs, that metal they cut out is thin sheet steel, it wont offset much of the weight.. not that it matters, slow down about 0.5mph and recover your range.

Eventually windows in cars will be made of plastic faced with transparent aluminum for scratch resistance.

Personally, I'm glad it doesn't have one. I've almost never used it in any of my vehicles that had one and thus don't feel the need to give up the cost, weight, complexity, and higher CG.

littlegreen said:

I like the light that comes in-- in Seattle we can always use more light-- but I never open mine, so it is a shame there isn't a flush glass panel that would add no drag and weigh very little.

SteveInSeattle said:
I like the light that comes in-- in Seattle we can always use more light-- but I never open mine, so it is a shame there isn't a flush glass panel that would add no drag and weigh very little.
Isn't that a moonroof? Granted you can "open" them, but the hinge and latch can't add that much weight.

jcesare said:

That's B.S. If that were truly the case, then that same argument would eliminate AC, Nav screens, radios, anything that would use any power that wasn't absolutely necessary. AND, why let people roll down the windows, because that would create additional drag as well?

I don't see any reason why a sunroof/moonroof would not be allowed. At least not because of the drag argument.

Yesterday I really wanted a moonroof because heat rises!

What I did in my Avalon on a hot day was to crack the moonroof with the A/C to vent the cabin. I may crack it at work since I have to park outside. I tilt the moonroof an crack the interior shield to keep rain out. When driving, the lift provided by the tilt creates a slight low pressure system to literally pull out the hot air.

I miss my moonroof!

What I'd like to see is the electronically darkened glass similar to what will be introduced on the '12 MBZ SLK:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/features/class-SLK/vehicle-technology#modules

As a less expensive alternative we have a full clear polycarbonate roof on our '08 smart fortwo with a rollback screen shade that actually is quite nice as well and doesn't induce any more drag but lets the sunlight in when you want it. Of course both of these cars have relatively smaller roofs than a 4-door hatchback so it would probably be too costly and not be very popular -- even in IL most sunroofs have a bit of a limited usage but I do like them on cold sunny days.

I'm sure soon enough we'll see a Webastco after-market for those who really want one ...

I hate sunroofs. They lower the interior ceiling and I'm 6'6".

Having said that, if you really want one, there are a bazzillion aftermarket companies. If you live in any major metro area, you can have one by tonight.

If I'm doing any after-market detailing, I think first on the list is to have the first Green LEAF!

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but American Sunroof in San Diego specs the Solaire 4300 for the Leaf at about $1300 installed. They do fine work too.

What about in NJ

This is my first car without a sunroof. The sunroof works great when used as a vent to get rid of all that hot air in the summer time.

oxo said:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but American Sunroof in San Diego specs the Solaire 4300 for the Leaf at about $1300 installed. They do fine work too.

Lasareath said:
What about in NJ

This is my first car without a sunroof. The sunroof works great when used as a vent to get rid of all that hot air in the summer time.

oxo said:

Any Authorized Webasto/Solaire dealer can probably do your car. Search around. I just mentioned American Sunroof because their level of work is very high. I used a place in Las Vegas on another car and wasn't as happy with their work. http://www.webastosunroofs.com/products/sunroofs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. There are around 12 authorized dealers near me. And there is one that is 70 miles away that has been in business 38 years and have 3 locations. They seem like the best choice but I'm just worried about the distance. I'll need to find a charge location between them and me or ask them to plug it in over night.

http://autosunroof.com/Products.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lasareath said:
Thanks. There are around 12 authorized dealers near me. And there is one that is 70 miles away that has been in business 38 years and have 3 locations. They seem like the best choice but I'm just worried about the distance. I'll need to find a charge location between them and me or ask them to plug it in over night.

http://autosunroof.com/Products.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds good. I found two down the peninsula in San Francisco and read their Yelp ratings. One clearly seemed better than the other based on customer reviews so definitely check around. It comes down to their installer's experience and how meticulous he is. When they start cutting into your roof there is no room for sloppy work. I'd also call them and ask if they've ever done a Nissan Leaf before, just to see.

I have a feeling I will be their first leaf. I've only seen one in my area. Never seen any on the road. Never seen any when I go to NYC. There are like 12 within 3 to 30 miles from my houses. I will read the reviews and find the best place. Thanks.

Back