Caracalover
Delivery Date: 12 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0567

Re: SDG&E asks for higher rates on customers who go solar

Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:55 pm

GeekEV wrote:Hmm... ...they say "the grid is acting as your battery" - how much would adding a battery backup to your solar system cost you?

Thankfully they did not get this passed.

As for a battery back up, AeroVironment is working on one, although not specific to solar, I do like the idea of charging at 120 to charge the car later at 240.
http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/a ... _appliance
26,000 miles on Silver Leaf
wildcatzoo.org drive there on Sunday across a big mountain, sorry no public charging at this time.
Looking for grants to put in solar port so perhaps in the future...

gbarry42
Delivery Date: 06 May 2011

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:04 pm

That is an interesting idea, and parallels the discussions about how to build a quick charger without incurring the demand charges. There's one little thing missing from the specs, though. How much does it hold?

If they are foresighted, they will also make a unit that's just the electronics, which you attach to the 10-year-old half-toasted EV battery you got back when you replaced the one in the car.
And there goes the first capacity bar! At 24,000 mi on 9/9/2013.
Second bar at 30,500 mi on 2/7/2015.

TonyWilliams

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Boomer23 wrote:
gbarry42 wrote:"A state regulator on Wednesday rejected SDG&E's proposed network use charge, which would have added $20 to $30 to monthly bills of homeowners who use solar power."

http://www.nctimes.com/blogsnew/busines ... 20580.html

Very cool!

I can now stop wasting time finding a cost effective way to go off-grid!!!!

I can hardly wait for their next "idea".

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:08 pm

This is great news! The PUC did the right thing. I see no way SDG&E could craft an alternate tariff which wouldn't single out solar producers.

The quote below isn't true. There's a minimum $0.17 per day, $62.05 per year charge to connect to the grid.

"Commissioner Ferron acknowledged the issue we are trying to address with our proposal is much broader than a single utility," said Lee Schavrien, senior vice president of finance, regulatory and legislative affairs for SDG&E, in a written statement. "The current net energy metering structure can easily result in many customers who have rooftop solar paying no bill at all, yet having access to all of the reliability, storage and access features of the grid. This is a situation that is not sustainable and requires a broad set of stakeholders to collaborate on a fair and effective solution."
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

drees

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:07 pm

ENIAC wrote:This is great news! The PUC did the right thing. I see no way SDG&E could craft an alternate tariff which wouldn't single out solar producers.

Well, as long as SDG&E believes that solar customers are getting an unfair benefit from PV, they have to single out solar producers to do it. Reading the fine print and comparing the costs to what they normally charge, it could have been a lot worse.

ENIAC wrote:The quote below isn't true. There's a minimum $0.17 per day, $62.05 per year charge to connect to the grid.

The best way to avoid this is to make sure you always draw a net $65.05 worth of energy from the grid - at current rates of ~$0.14 / kWh on the DR rate, that comes to approximately 464 kWh. Then you will still pay the $62.05 / year, but at least you'll be getting energy for it.
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

ENIAC
Delivery Date: 13 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 224

Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 pm

drees wrote:The best way to avoid this is to make sure you always draw a net $65.05 worth of energy from the grid - at current rates of ~$0.14 / kWh on the DR rate, that comes to approximately 464 kWh. Then you will still pay the $62.05 / year, but at least you'll be getting energy for it.
I believe it resets monthly. So you couldn't bank any extra kWh for the month. You would need to use it all plus an additional $5 worth.
Myths And Facts About Electric Cars

"The ice doesn't care"
-- WetEV

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 am

SDG&E just credited me with 3.6¢ per kWh for my year's excess generation.

Of course, my excess at Peak Times flows 100 or 200 feet to the next door neighbor, who is charged something like 33¢ per kWh for the same electrons.

And, SDG&E is complaining that they do not make enough money from me. They have the $5+ a month "minimum", and make money on the 4 (or more) months that I do not over-generate.

Like the post office, they might just raise their charges enough to force "everybody" to go solar. Then, if they do not adapt, they might actually have some difficulty controlling their grid.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

SanDust

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:33 am

SanDust wrote:Any new or additional demand charge, standby charge, customer charge, minimum monthly charge, interconnection charge, or any other charge that would increase an eligible customer-generator’s costs beyond those of other customers who are not eligible customer-generators in the rate class to which the eligible customer-generator would otherwise be assigned if the customer did not own, lease, rent, or otherwise operate an eligible solar or wind electrical generating facility is contrary to the intent of this section, and shall not form a part of net energy metering contracts or tariffs.

Seems pretty clear that the proposed distribution fee is contrary to state law. No idea why SDG&E thinks this is OK.
This is the provision cited as most relevant by the Commissioner when denying SDG&E the right to proceed with its rate request based on the NUC. The Commissioner also cited the preceding sentence of section (g) which states that all chargers must be based on net kWh. That works but it would seem that the more determinative section would be section (b), which lays out that every kWh generated must be valued the same as every kWh consumed, precluding SDG&E's proposal that a kWh consumed should be valued by adding an interconnection fee and that an an exported kWh be valued by subtracting an interconnection fee. IOW (5+1) would not equal (5-1).

Note that SDG&E can appeal, presumably to the whole commission. That would be a good thing since its argument is so weak and the question would be answered once and for all. But I suspect that SDG&E, along with the other utilities, will decide to fight this fight some other time when perhaps the commission is more receptive. My guess is that it hoped to get into a rate case and then just confuse things so that this issue didn't rise to the forefront. With that hope gone all it's left with is a very stinko legal argument.

drees

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:10 am

garygid wrote:Like the post office, they might just raise their charges enough to force "everybody" to go solar. Then, if they do not adapt, they might actually have some difficulty controlling their grid.

Well, SDG&E did announce Tuesday that they have submitted 2 plans to buy solar power from them.

"SunRate" is similar to your typical green power plan where you pay a bit more to directly purchase solar power. You will have the option to offset 50%, 75% or 100% of your energy use with solar power at a fixed rate for 1-15 years. The fixed rate deal is pretty unique.

"Share the Sun" is a type of community solar program. Here you buy or lease shares in larger solar development projects and then your bill will be offset through a feed-in-tariff based on how much your portion of the project generates.

Read more: SDG&E proposes programs to bring solar to renters and cloudy houses

Anyone figure out where the "Green Button" is?

SDG&E launches new online monitoring features
'11 LEAF SL Powered By 3.24 kW Enphase Solar PV

CWO4Mann
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 11 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 1567

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:04 am

SoCal and solar rates are an interesting parallel to my area (Brentwood, TN). Once a habitation is connected to the grid and an electric meter is installed, it cannot be "removed from the grid". Similar in the rules for personal water wells. Our water table here is so high that you can stick a straw in the ground and have water; Once connected to Brentwood Water you may not "disconnect" from public water supply. You can not use the public water but you still pay since the sewerage fees are tied to the water consumption rate. I'm not sure how they treat folks who have a septic system and a water well and are not, have never been, connected to the city utilities. They are probably skating by until the local law can figure something out.
Ira est potens et pertinax.
Study History - Know the Future
N4CVX; ex-VP2EHF; ex-DA1BB; ex-KR6DEM
2012 SL Glacier Pearl VIN: 1567 Delivered 12-11-2011
Cool Springs Nissan, Franklin, TN

Return to “Utilities”