SDG&E off peak time shifting before Standard Time starts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcesare

Just a reminder to reset your timers.
I came across this note at the bottom of the first page on this month's bill.
Beginning October 30th through November 5th, the on-peak, super off-peak and off-peak time periods will begin and end one hour later.

Do I need to change my Leaf timer or will it reset automatically to standard time? I charge from midnight to 5 AM. The same question for my Blink. Will it reset automatically on the 30TH?

stanley said:
Do I need to change my Leaf timer or will it reset automatically to standard time? I charge from midnight to 5 AM. The same question for my Blink. Will it reset automatically on the 30TH?

Nothing is going to change automatically on the 30th because it is a non-event for the clocks.

The issue is that Standard Time doesn't start on the 30th. It was moved to the first Sunday in November but the rates and times that SDG&E is using is based on the old law of the last weekend in October. The same will be true when Daylight Savings Time starts in the Spring. You'll need to reset your timer for 1 week to accomodate the difference, then after the clocks change, set the timer back to normal.

I am not sure if the Leaf or Blink will update their clocks automatically on Nov 6. Anyone?

jcesare said:
... The same will be true when Daylight Savings Time starts in the Spring. You'll need to reset your timer for 1 week to accomodate the difference, then after the clocks change, set the timer back to normal. ...
You would actually have to shift your timer for 3 weeks in the spring.

Seems easier to just start charging at 1am instead of midnight all the time. How often do you charge longer than 4 hours, anyway? On the rate plan I'm on, anyway, the incremental cost between super off peak ($0.1386) and off peak ($0.1648) if by chance I go into off-peak hours the extra cost is minimal. The difference is similar in winter (Nov 1-Apr 30) except that On-Peak rates are basically the same as Off-Peak.

EPEVX rates:

Summer (May 1-Oct 31):
On-Peak: $0.27027
Off-Peak: $0.16480
Super-Off: $0.13860

Winter (Nov 1-Apr 30):

On-Peak: $0.17681
Off-Peak: $0.17001
Super-Off: $0.14259

Of course, those of you on the Y or Z rate plans with much lower super off-peak rates may have a different opinion!

drees said:
Seems easier to just start charging at 1am instead of midnight all the time. How often do you charge longer than 4 hours, anyway?
Not often, but on my 100% charge days it DOES happen. Maybe twice a month I'll go over 5 hours, even.

smkettner said:
I am still very annoyed at Bush for changing the day daylight savings time changes :|

I am even more annoyed that no politician has stepped forward to either extend daylight savings year round or return to standard time.

Back