Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California with 63.9 Ahr after 22k miles
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Re: How to get more charging stations.

Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Well, I'm in the process of ordering an EVSE from ZENCAR that will work with both 120V and 240V and that can adjust between 12, 16, 24 and 32amps. I'm planning on making all sorts of adapters. There are places on PlugShare that have 14-50 plugs, so this ought to open up my horizons a little bit. I'm even tempted of running an ad in places that I go to but don't have anything on PlugShare, something along the lines of "make a little money off your 240V outlet."

Yes I'm on PlugShare too.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Sage advice from others. Unfortunately, I can't give you much hope either. I've personally had very little luck in a semi-rural, conservative community of 200,000. What can you expect in those tiny burgs, barely blinks on the side of the road? My few successes are DIRECTLY related to Tesla's destination charging program, and they are hard fought successes with years of failures (I'll reach my 6 yr EV anniversary this month). Just today I christened my latest success, a local organic winery with solar panels: https://api.plugshare.com/view/location/124125 Unfortunately, I have been unable to convince business owners of the benefits of installing a charging stations, even when I offer to pay for the unit and installation! They all freak out over insurance and the cost of electricity, which is essentially NO ADDITIONAL cost for a business that already has insurance and electricity. The allure of Tesla seems to convince these businesses of the legitimacy, something that nobody else seems to have. That said, you won't be able to convince Tesla or any other business to install charging stations in those "towns" that you mentioned. Your best bet is to purchase land, and start you own. knowing full well that you'll lose money in the process. One possibility that you didn't mention, and probably has a better chance of success, is Sargents, CO at the RV park behind the Tomichi Creek Trading Post. At least these folks have made it into the 21st Century (http://tomichicreektradingpost.com/index.php/rates-availability/rv-teepee-camping-rates/). Good luck.
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 46.44 AHr; 40,067 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

eatsleafsandshoots
Delivery Date: 16 Oct 2013

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:45 pm

The big way to get more charging stations will be to get gas prices to go up. Nobody really wants to pay anything to charge, since even the most nominal fees are usually more than just charging at home. That leaves free stations, which are a hard sell.

remarquian
Delivery Date: 02 May 2016
Leaf Number: 308458

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:51 am

eatsleafsandshoots wrote:The big way to get more charging stations will be to get gas prices to go up. Nobody really wants to pay anything to charge, since even the most nominal fees are usually more than just charging at home. That leaves free stations, which are a hard sell.

I would be willing to pay a premium for fast charging that extends the range of my 30Kwh Leaf.

With an L2 charger at home, I don't need local charging.
'16 SV Coulis Red ~ '17 SV Brilliant Siver.

IssacZachary
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 15 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 420789

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:04 am

remarquian wrote:
eatsleafsandshoots wrote:The big way to get more charging stations will be to get gas prices to go up. Nobody really wants to pay anything to charge, since even the most nominal fees are usually more than just charging at home. That leaves free stations, which are a hard sell.

I would be willing to pay a premium for fast charging that extends the range of my 30Kwh Leaf.

With an L2 charger at home, I don't need local charging.

Same here. I've paid $10 for about 10kWh at a fast charger and $5 for less than 5kWh at a level 2 and don't care that is was that expensive.

Energy for energy, if gasoline is at $3 per gallon then if electricity is at $0.10 the price is the same. But I also get 120 electric miles per gallon in my Leaf, so comparing the price to a 30mpg car the price could be 4 times that at $0.40 per kWh. But still, I mostly charge at home anyway, so even if the price were more, $1 to $2 dollars per kWh, I'd still pay it. Renting a car is $40 per day plus fuel. So about 5 x $10 EVgo non-member charges is about equivalent to renting for the day, except the next day I can probably charge from the home I'm staying at instead of paying another $40 plus fuel. I also get to drive my own personal car.
2013 SL 45,000 miles.
12 bars until 44,300 miles on June 2, 2017. :D
11 bars current. :)
The Nissan Leaf is the fourth best long distance car for highway driving. >>Best Long Distance Cars<<

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”