Phoenix Contact Debuts CCS Connector For 500A, 500 kW Charging Possible

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compare to the current CCS spec which allows up to 200A ... yet runs at around 45 kW throughput anywhere you can find them. If you can find them.

SageBrush said:
Compare to the current CCS spec which allows up to 200A ... yet runs at around 45 kW throughput anywhere you can find them. If you can find them.
Pretty easy to find them around here (it was actually easier to find 24kW BMW CCS on I-5 north of Sacramento or I-80/U.S. 50 up to Lake Tahoe until recently), and will get a whole lot easier in many areas as Electrify America increases deployment. See https://www.electrifyamerica.com/our-plan
and click on the" Cycle 1 National ZEV Investment plan" link. The Denver metro area is one of the 11 metro areas which will see early development, along with the I-25/70/76 corridors.

SageBrush said:
No problem to find them here. Every Evgo station was updated, and almost all newer DCFC installations are dual-standard (or Tesla).

Yep, there is some CCS on the coasts.
The closest CCS to me is ~ 260 miles away in Albuquerque/Santa Fe, and from there I have no idea. Somewhere in Texas

wmcbrine said:
Every Evgo station was updated, and almost all newer DCFC installations are dual-standard (or Tesla).
True, but there have a bunch of new installations on I-5 between the SF Bay Area and OR border that are SAE Combo ONLY and NOT EVgo. They've tended to be the lame 24 kW https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/cpe100/.

Look at Plugshare at California towns like Yreka, Dunsmuir, Corning, Chico, Williams, Then switch Plugshare's filter to CHAdeMO for that stretch of I-5...

SageBrush said:
The closest CCS to me is ~ 260 miles away in Albuquerque/Santa Fe, and from there I have no idea. Somewhere in Texas
Per Plugshare, there are almost as many CCS (36 locations) as CHAdeMO (40 locations) in Colorado now. Most are presumably dual-standard. In both cases they're mainly along I-25 from Ft. Collins down to Pueblo plus 2 or 3 in Aspen, but there's a CCS in Julesberg. I take it you're in SW CO, and are SoL at the moment either way?

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
Per Plugshare, there are almost as many CCS (36 locations) as CHAdeMO (40 locations) in Colorado now. Most are presumably dual-standard. In both cases they're mainly along I-25 from Ft. Collins down to Pueblo plus 2 or 3 in Aspen, but there's a CCS in Julesberg. I take it you're in SW CO, and are SoL at the moment either way?
Exactly so. Very nice deduction.

I don't really care though, since I'm getting a Tesla. 6/8 directions are already easily traveled; the other two directions (heading east or NE) are possible but a bit annoying for now but expected to become just as easy as the other directions in 2018 when Alamosa and Telluride go live.

The odd part of the CCS network for now is its tendency to be placed in or near urban areas rather than in places that facilitate driving from one urban center to another. Like they still have to help EVs reach the outskirts of an urban area and return (or vice versa.) The CCS network in CO is a good example: travel along the front range corridor N <-> S from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs is possible and reasonably convenient, but forget about destinations to the East or West, or past those two cities.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:

I don't really care though, since I'm getting a Tesla. 6/8 directions are already easily traveled; the other two directions (heading east or NE) are possible but a bit annoying for now but expected to become just as easy as the other directions in 2018 when Alamosa and Telluride go live.

The odd part of the CCS network for now is its tendency to be placed in or near urban areas rather than in places that facilitate driving from one urban center to another. Like they still have to help EVs reach the outskirts of an urban area and return (or vice versa.) The CCS network in CO is a good example: travel along the front range corridor N <-> S from Fort Collins to Colorado Springs is possible and reasonably convenient, but forget about destinations to the East or West, or past those two cities.
OTOH, Colorado along with the other western states has pledged to build out the interstate network, and Electrify America will presumably be paying for most of it. IIRR, Colorado will be getting them along I-70, 76, and 25. As you suggest (and I've argued in the past), the EA plan is to prioritize joining urban areas that have lots of EVs (plus some weekend destinations) by QCs, which IMO is what Tesla should have done at the start, as argued upthread. With CCS/CHAdeMO QCs in Aspen, they'll obviously have to provide some to reach Denver, SLC and Vegas via I-70, plus connecting to the existing QCs along the I-15 corridor in the near future.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
GRA said:

OTOH, Colorado along with the other western states has pledged to build out the interstate network, and Electrify America will presumably be paying for most of it. IIRR, Colorado will be getting them along I-70, 76, and 25. As you suggest (and I've argued in the past), the EA plan is to prioritize joining urban areas that have lots of EVs (plus some weekend destinations) by QCs, which IMO is what Tesla should have done at the start, as argued upthread. With CCS/CHAdeMO QCs in Aspen, they'll obviously have to provide some to reach Denver, SLC and Vegas via I-70, plus connecting to the existing QCs along the I-15 corridor in the near future.
I paraphrase the entire build-out as a presumption that trips over ~ 200 miles each way will not be with an EV.

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
I paraphrase the entire build-out as a presumption that trips over ~ 200 miles each way will not be with an EV.
I don't think that's the plan, just prioritizing the major traffic routes first. Having joined up numerous city pairs, it's fairly easy to build a few more QCs as connectors between those points. And don't forget, they do plan to complete I-5, I-95 and I-80 east to 76 to 70 to 15 very early. Tesla did the first two (more or less), but their initial transcontinental route was anything but sensible.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
I don't think that's the plan, just prioritizing the major traffic routes first.
That is what I mean -- allowing ~ regional travel.

Not for me in SW Colorado of course, but in the megaplexes.
It is a fair roll-out ... for EVs as second cars.

GRA said:
SageBrush said:
GRA said:
I don't think that's the plan, just prioritizing the major traffic routes first. Having joined up numerous city pairs, it's fairly easy to build a few more QCs as connectors between those points. And don't forget, they do plan to complete I-5, I-95 and I-80 east to 76 to 70 to 15 very early. Tesla did the first two (more or less), but their initial transcontinental route was anything but sensible.

Add in some snow or a single accident and it is just not feasible. The ups and downs across I-70 from the front range to summit county will zap your range. Then get stuck in a traffic jam for 3 hours in subfreezing temperatures with slush and snow all over the road, and EVs will be littering the shoulder out of range. That was one of the most expensive pieces of interstate and challenging to build. I don't know why you'd start with that to build out infrastructure.

Also all the DCQC around here are limited that I've seen. I have never gotten more than 30KW out of the Nissan chargers. And with freezing temps and high elevation, the units limit their output.

2k1Toaster said:
GRA said:
SageBrush said:
Add in some snow or a single accident and it is just not feasible. The ups and downs across I-70 from the front range to summit county will zap your range. Then get stuck in a traffic jam for 3 hours in subfreezing temperatures with slush and snow all over the road, and EVs will be littering the shoulder out of range. That was one of the most expensive pieces of interstate and challenging to build. I don't know why you'd start with that to build out infrastructure.

Also all the DCQC around here are limited that I've seen. I have never gotten more than 30KW out of the Nissan chargers. And with freezing temps and high elevation, the units limit their output.
You did note that EA's plan will have average QC spacing of 66 miles, with none of them more than 120 miles apart, which is better than Tesla is doing at the moment? Certainly you wouldn't want to set out on a long road trip in a 1st gen affordable BEV in winter conditions in the mountains, but that's just common sense. A 40kW LEAF might be pushing things, but a Bolt or 60kW LEAF should be fine, especially as the ski areas add L2.

The necessary locations for QCs on I-70 over the Rockies are pretty much obvious - just look where Tesla put SCs and infill a few more. Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs (87 miles) are no-brainers, and you probably want one either side of Vail Pass or Eisenhower tunnel as well, say Vail (61 miles) or Minturn and Dillon/Silverthorne. Each with have 4-10 stalls (for starters), and you can expect infill between those (Rifle, Eagle, Wolcott, Copper Mtn., Empire etc.) and Denver as demand increases.

Back