Overheating EVSE plug

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The articles at some point says "The 2013 Nissan LEAF boasts innovative features such as 240V charging that is nearly twice as fast as the previous model, as well as a broader range of trim levels starting with the even more affordable S grade, moving up to the SV model and graduating with the top-of-the-line SL."

Can I safely assume that this is also the case for all Leafs manufactured after 2013?

The 240 volt charging mentioned is Level 2 charging, and Leafs have always had L-2 capability. They are talking about 240 volt charging with a doubled amperage rate (6.6kw), and thus charging for the SV and SL that is about twice as fast as with the old 3.3kw onboard charger, which was still used in the Leaf S.

shroud said:
I've discussed with someone from EVSE upgrade and concluded that at least the EVSE wasn't modified by them. They told me that the original (unmodified) Nissan EVSE does in fact work "normally" up to 240V of power supply albeit limited to 12A, but there are at least some surge parts inside not rated for 240V, so there is in fact a danger involved although not immediate (in fact, this EVSE has been used by previous owners for years).

Anyway, I obviously want to be safe, so I'll be buying a new EVSE that is certified to work with our country electricity network. Despite of what the local Nissan dealers told me, I have found different EVSE that don't cost 1000e but they are rather in the totally acceptable 350-500e range, and as they are sold by local shops I have the possibility to just go there and try them out to make sure they actually work with my car.
That sounds much more like it. They should have no problem helping you as early LEAFs were shipped with Type 1 connectors (and may still be for all I know). Also, I know that importing used LEAFs from the US to the Netherlands and other EU destinations has been a booming business in the past. While you're there, you'll probably want to get a Type 1 to Type 2 cable for use with public charging.

LeftieBiker said:
The articles at some point says "The 2013 Nissan LEAF boasts innovative features such as 240V charging that is nearly twice as fast as the previous model, as well as a broader range of trim levels starting with the even more affordable S grade, moving up to the SV model and graduating with the top-of-the-line SL."

Can I safely assume that this is also the case for all Leafs manufactured after 2013?

The 240 volt charging mentioned is Level 2 charging, and Leafs have always had L-2 capability. They are talking about 240 volt charging with a doubled amperage rate (6.6kw), and thus charging for the SV and SL that is about twice as fast as with the old 3.3kw onboard charger, which was still used in the Leaf S.

Ok, thanks! We actually have the upgraded 6.6 kW onboard charger in the car. But that's only for public charging stations, and the car would still charge at Level 1 rate from a home socket (without a dedicated home charging station), right? If we have 240V and 16A, then 16 x 240 = 3840 W. I would hope that the 6.6 kW charger would NOT try to suck more current from our home, but would instead charge at this lower power. Well otherwise I would expect that our 16A fuses would have switched off the circuit.

Sorry if I always ask dumb electricity questions... :D

davewill said:
shroud said:
I've discussed with someone from EVSE upgrade and concluded that at least the EVSE wasn't modified by them. They told me that the original (unmodified) Nissan EVSE does in fact work "normally" up to 240V of power supply albeit limited to 12A, but there are at least some surge parts inside not rated for 240V, so there is in fact a danger involved although not immediate (in fact, this EVSE has been used by previous owners for years).

Anyway, I obviously want to be safe, so I'll be buying a new EVSE that is certified to work with our country electricity network. Despite of what the local Nissan dealers told me, I have found different EVSE that don't cost 1000e but they are rather in the totally acceptable 350-500e range, and as they are sold by local shops I have the possibility to just go there and try them out to make sure they actually work with my car.
That sounds much more like it. They should have no problem helping you as early LEAFs were shipped with Type 1 connectors (and may still be for all I know). Also, I know that importing used LEAFs from the US to the Netherlands and other EU destinations has been a booming business in the past. While you're there, you'll probably want to get a Type 1 to Type 2 cable for use with public charging.

Yes, he had actually planned to buy that Type 1 / Type 2 cable before all the problems and questions with the EVSE came out. Although we thought of it more as an extra in case the ChaDeMo stations are out of order whenever we go on a trip outside the city. Our driving habits are something like 25-35km per day, plus an occasional longer trip up to 200km in a day. We've found out that there are typically 2-3 ChaDeMo charging points along the way for those longer trips destinations.

shroud said:
Ok, thanks! We actually have the upgraded 6.6 kW onboard charger in the car. But that's only for public charging stations, and the car would still charge at Level 1 rate from a home socket (without a dedicated home charging station), right? If we have 240V and 16A, then 16 x 240 = 3840 W. I would hope that the 6.6 kW charger would NOT try to suck more current from our home, but would instead charge at this lower power. Well otherwise I would expect that our 16A fuses would have switched off the circuit.

Sorry if I always ask dumb electricity questions... :D

This concern is one of the main reasons for the J1772 standard. It allows the vehicle to determine the capability of the EVSE. The car will charge up to the EVSE's or the car's maximum rate, whichever is lower. This is how cars with different charging rates and EVSEs with different charging rates can all get along.

Of course, during installation of the EVSE the installer must make sure the electrical wiring is suitable for the maximum current of the EVSE. This applies whether or not a particular car can consume it, because at some point a different car might get plugged in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772

smkettner said:
Biggest problem is the USA cord is made for 120 volts and an EU outlet is 230 volts. While some have done an aftermarket upgrade... if the label says 120 volts I would not use it on 230. This is not the same as plugging in your I-Pad with a universal voltage charger.

Yes get a locally sourced evse as it will plug in just fine.

https://store.clippercreek.com/international

Using a "locally sourced EVSE" with a non locally sourced car???

DaveinOlyWA said:
smkettner said:
Biggest problem is the USA cord is made for 120 volts and an EU outlet is 230 volts. While some have done an aftermarket upgrade... if the label says 120 volts I would not use it on 230. This is not the same as plugging in your I-Pad with a universal voltage charger.

Yes get a locally sourced evse as it will plug in just fine.

https://store.clippercreek.com/international

Using a "locally sourced EVSE" with a non locally sourced car???
Yep. Type 1 connectors are not unknown in Europe, and given the right cabling will work great.

Back