Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Via IEVS:
Electrify America Signs Deal For “Interoperable” EV Charging
https://insideevs.com/electrify-america-interoperable-charging/

Throw away all your EV charging network cards. The new thing is “interoperability.”
Electrify America, the Volkswagen subsidiary, announced today that it signed a deal that effectively creates a combined network of 12,500 interoperable electric car charging stations. The term “interoperable” doesn’t exactly roll off your tongue, but it’s critical to transforming today’s patchwork of charging companies into a unified, refueling system that can be accessed by all EV drivers. The new interconnected network of chargers located at shopping centers, convenience stores, and workplaces will come online on June 30, 2019.

Based on the new agreement, future Electrify America customers will be able to charge their electric vehicles at stations operated by EV Connect, Greenlots, and SemaConnect. “EV customers are the big winners with these network interoperability agreements,” said Brendan, Jones, chief operating officer at Electrify America. “Drivers will now be able to roam between charging networks without the need for additional cards or accounts.” Electrify America, which is investing $2 billion in EV infrastructure and education in the next 10 years, wants EV drivers to have ready and easy access to refueling—just like today’s drivers of gas-powered cars enjoy. . . .

I was all excited when I saw that map. Then I realized that a large number of those ones I care about (in upstate NY) are L2. Useless for travelling.

Still, interoperability is a good thing - it's annoying to have an entire folder of apps on my phone and a collection of RFID cards in my car just so I can charge.

Then I realized that a large number of those ones I care about (in upstate NY) are L2. Useless for travelling.
Yup -- pretty much a lost cause these days since they were placed with the idea of serving a 15 - 25 kWh EV fleet that has not materialized. I still think the idea is sound for workplace charging but the country prefers large large battery EVs and DC charging. At least they prefer the latter when they are not whining about the car cost.

GetOffYourGas said:
I was all excited when I saw that map. Then I realized that a large number of those ones I care about (in upstate NY) are L2. Useless for travelling.

Still, interoperability is a good thing - it's annoying to have an entire folder of apps on my phone and a collection of RFID cards in my car just so I can charge.

This is EA network we are talking about? Because around here, its just the opposite. All the sites have L3 ONLY with no L2 options.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

This is EA network we are talking about? Because around here, its just the opposite. All the sites have L3 ONLY with no L2 options.

No Dave. It is the other networks with which EA is working on compatibility.

Forgot to mention that with three sites (Sullivan/Lebanon/Mt. Vernon) now open on I-44, travel between St. Louis and Tulsa, OK is now possible. One more around Tulsa will get all the way to OKC, although there isn't one listed in the current 'coming soon' list.

Last night, EA completely revamped their website. They brought back a zoomable map, but removed all the "future" markers from it. Now it's just "open" and "coming soon". It's really hard to see numbers, though, unless I'm missing it. I noticed that they added a "coming soon" station to Albany NY for example. I'm sure they added a ton more across the country.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger

I was pleasantly surprised when I went o EA's site to check out new planned sites announced at GCC on the Ohio Turnpike aka I76, 80 & 90: https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/10/20181023-ea.html to see that zoom and scroll are back. I don't know if my email request for this had anything to do with it, but I'll take it! The lack of the numbered list for open and coming soon is a minor issue now that there are a substantial number of sites open and we can zoom and scroll, and I can't say I've ever noticed its lack on supercharge.info. I may try to count all the coming soon icons, but at the rate they're being opened I don't know that it matters.

I count three more now open for 27 total. The new ones are Bloomsburg (I-80) and Carlisle (I-76/81), PA, and Commerce (I-85/U.S. 441), GA. Depending on whether you count the two north/south SC sites in CT individually or together, Tesla had completed either 27 or 29 SCs in their first year (10/19/12 to 10/18/13), so EA has done the same in a bit over 5.5 months (5/2/18 to 10/22/18), with twelve opened so far this month.

EA has also released (114 pages but only 16 pages of meat, the rest is appendices listing all media buys for education) its
Third Quarter 2018 Report to
California Air Resources Board
https://elam-cms-assets.s3.amazonaw...America Q3 2018 Quarterly Report - Public.pdf

Signed leases in the 160 target zones for high-power QCs have increased from 71 at the end of Q2 to to 97 end Q3, but
Although Electrify America obtained its
first 13 permits in California during Q3, the permitting process for EV charging stations in California took
on average 56 business days, which is nearly twice the national average. Electrify America has obtained
more than ten times as many permits outside of California as it has obtained within California, and
Electrify America considers permitting delays and costly station changes resulting from permitting
processes to be the largest threat to meeting the Cycle 1 California ZEV Investment Plan commitments
on time and on budget.

To address this challenge, Electrify America reached out to California state agencies, including the
Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development (GoBIZ) and the California Legislature, to
communicate concern that some local jurisdictions are not complying with A.B. 1236’s requirement that
all jurisdictions establish a specific EV charging station permitting process that is “timely and costeffective,”
and that permits can only be denied if a health or safety issue has been documented. Thanks
to engagement from the Governor’s office and Electrify America’s direct engagement with local
jurisdictions, improved EV station permitting processes were established in some jurisdictions, including
Sacramento, Los Angeles County, and Rocklin. . . .

In Q3, Electrify America also dedicating substantial resources to this challenge. Electrify America
relocated its National Construction Manager from Virginia to California, shifted project management
personnel from other parts of the nation to California, opened a California office, and leveraging
Government Affairs staff to meet with jurisdictions all over the state. Electrify America reached out to
more than a dozen jurisdictions to discuss permitting challenges before permit applications have even
been submitted, in order to discuss A.B. 1236 requirements and identify areas of local concern in the
station design stage.

Despite these efforts, Electrify America had to cancel planned stations during Q3 in a few jurisdictions
due to onerous requirements and lengthy permitting timelines that could not be met within Cycle 1
timeframes and budget requirements, reducing charging services in these communities.

Pro tip - the list only seems to include chargers within the current map. My default zoom shows no chargers open or coming soon, but they start to appear as you zoom out.

131 locations is a huge leap forward. Maybe they'll make their first deadline after all.

At least they have completed the initial sighting process. I checked on two recent additions (which already has a QC...) and there is nothing showing at either place.

I am not happy with the fact that a lot of these places are being positioned next to already existing EVGO stations when large areas nearby are ignored.

In their rush to play catch up, it would appear EA is simply taking whatever it can get without regard to the usefulness of the network at all.

Yeah, the site in Albany NY is pretty much in the middle of a cluster of EVGo chargers. This station will be competing for customers rather than adding significant function. I would much rather see EA get started in Syracuse, Rochester, or Herkimer which would start to address the huge gap alone I-90 from Albany to Buffalo (nearly 300 miles).

But this is a very short-term problem. The current cycle ends in only 8 months from now, and all of these locations should be open or under construction by then. According to plugshare, they currently have 170 locations open or under construction. That's a huge jump from the 70 locations at the beginning of the month. Things are really starting to accelerate!

v3W5kru.png

3 more sites have opened, for 15 this month and 30 total: Lexington and Lincoln, NE (both I-80 west of Omaha), and Chipley, FL (I-10 between Pensacola and Tallahassee). Lexington and Lincoln are 169 miles apart, and Lincoln's only about 60 miles from Omaha; Ft. Morgan, CO is out of reach at 243 miles from Lexington, so North Platte (184 to Ft. Morgan, but uphill) will be needed to connect to Denver.

Chipley is 236 miles from Gulfport and 247 from Jacksonville, so they still need the ones in Pensacola and Tallahassee to open to connect I-10 from Houston through Jacksonville.

Two more sites have opened, both on I-80 in Nebraska: North Platte and Grand Island. It's now possible to travel from Omaha to Ogallala or maybe Sidney, NE, or else Sterling, CO easily; one more's still needed on I-80 or 76 somewhere from Ogallala to Sterling to reach Ft. Morgan (184 miles uphill) with no worries - I like Big Springs, 5 miles east of the junction of I-76/80.

On the down side, there appears to be some problem with the QC site in Commerce, Georgia, as it's been added and removed from the 'open' list and map at least twice and is currently shown as coming soon, so there are 31 rather than 32 open sites total.

Over the past week or two, they have slowly opened sites, but the "Coming Soon" list has not grown. I wonder if they will basically work to open sites that have been started for the rest of 2018. I would hope they continued working on finding sites and getting permits in the background, but it seems like they are working in waves.

I'm all in favor of them doing so, rather than adding 'hoped for' sites as they come up. The critical thing is how quickly they're opening the sites, not how many they list as 'coming soon'. They've still got 100 to open from the current list, so it's unlikely that they'd need to update it before the end of the quarter.

The “coming soon” sites are far more than hoped for. They have at the minimum gotten building permits, often the longest lead time of the whole process. More often than not, they have already broken ground by the time they are listed.

GetOffYourGas said:
The “coming soon” sites are far more than hoped for. They have at the minimum gotten building permits, often the longest lead time of the whole process. More often than not, they have already broken ground by the time they are listed.
That's how it should be done. It would be nice if Tesla did likewise.

The EA site in Madera, CA is currently under construction. They were working on it Monday. This is a very busy Walmart and the stations are close to the building so they are likely to be ICEd. I hope I am wrong. Traffic is heavy in this parking lot at least around noon when we stopped.

Paul

paulgipe said:
The EA site in Madera, CA is currently under construction. They were working on it Monday. This is a very busy Walmart and the stations are close to the building so they are likely to be ICEd. I hope I am wrong. Traffic is heavy in this parking lot at least around noon when we stopped.

Paul
Did you happen to check out the site in Selma also?

Back