my charging situation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TIPME

This is my outdoor outlet
P3CCHMp.jpg

q1dyk7k.jpg

Just looking for options to properly cover it, the adapter is pretty big.
would I need to use an extension cord?
or just charge during good weather.
Can't seem to google anything that would be big enough to cover it.

No garage. Still debating if I need a 220v outlet installed, my commute is not too demanding.

I am guessing you removed the cover that came with the outlet due to size of EVSE?

There are vent covers designed for dryers mostly that will probably work if you can find one that extends horizontally enough. I have seen big ones but don't specifically remember seeing medium sized ones like what you would need.

Old time trailers had vents on the stoves (many were propane or NG) that was controlled by pull string. Open vent, fan came on. That would have been perfect size but guessing that they are a "bit" dated...

You could use a 1 gallon milk or water jug cut on the side to fit over the outlet housing with an open bottom to allow the cord to exit. It would be a cheap but effective solution.

Maybe something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Taymac-MX3200-Vertical-Weatherproof-Receptacle/dp/B001DKIH10/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542495232&sr=8-4&keywords=in+use+outlet+cover
Otherwise fabricating something might work OK too, like Bill mentioned.
With the in-use cover you probably won't be able to close the cover like it's really intended but even lifted up it should provide some good cover.
If your OK losing the ability to use the outlet for 120v you should be able to convert the outlet to 240v using existing wiring. If you could pull more wire to the outlet then you could purchase a 120v/240v dual outlet, 20a max.
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5842-I-Receptacle-Commercial-Grounding/dp/B000U3BVMI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1542495669&sr=8-6&keywords=120v%2F240v+outlet
Or on second thought if you have the '18 dual voltage Leaf EVSE you'd really need a minimum 40a circuit with a 14-50 outlet like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Talon-LGP1S-Enclosed-Outdoor-Receptacle/dp/B00M3H6494/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542495784&sr=8-2&keywords=14-50+outdoor+receptacle
Or this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Talon-LGP1S-Enclosed-Outdoor-Receptacle/dp/B00M3H6494/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542495784&sr=8-2&keywords=14-50+outdoor+receptacle
Reason being the '18 240v Leaf EVSE has no way to limit the charging current, it could pull a maximum of 27.5a which would require a minimum 40a circuit or best a 50a circuit.

Thanks for the responses. I went with this. It's temporary...

CHk8HrJ.jpg

It is a 2018 Leaf SV. So I think it is the dual voltage EVSE. if that's true, I will be leaning more towards 240v charging so I can ditch that big adapter. I've also read that it takes less electricity to charge 240v than 120v? Although it's very minimal. Things I probably should have researched before my purchase, but I guess I'll learn on the go.

If you can find a similar duct elbow made of plastic, that should work ok. Maybe add another piece or two for the EVSE body. And yes, that is the 120 volt North American EVSE. Sorry. It can be modified for 240, though.

LeftieBiker said:
If you can find a similar duct elbow made of plastic, that should work ok. Maybe add another piece or two for the EVSE body. And yes, that is the 120 volt North American EVSE. Sorry. It can be modified for 240, though.
I agree, I'd also rather have plastic but I'm not sure you could get plastic in that large of a diameter.
AFA his EVSE, if you look at the plug in his OP, it sure looks like a 14-50 to standard 120v plug adapter, I mean it looks huge. Wouldn't that kind of plug mean he had a 120v/240v EVSE? again if it's a dual voltage EVSE for 240v use it will require a 14-50 outlet with a minimum of 40a circuit or preferable 50a with 6 gauge wiring(with a 40a breaker you could get by with 8 gauge wiring).

AFA his EVSE, if you look at the plug in his OP, it sure looks like a 14-50 to standard 120v plug adapter, I mean it looks huge. Wouldn't that kind of plug mean he had a 120v/240v EVSE?

You're right. I'm going to have to look at my 2018 EVSE in the garage again. I didn't think it looked just like the old one, but maybe it does. <slaps head>

LeftieBiker said:
AFA his EVSE, if you look at the plug in his OP, it sure looks like a 14-50 to standard 120v plug adapter, I mean it looks huge. Wouldn't that kind of plug mean he had a 120v/240v EVSE?

You're right. I'm going to have to look at my 2018 EVSE in the garage again. I didn't think it looked just like the old one, but maybe it does. <slaps head>

It does not look like the old one in any way. These questions are completely silly when a simple answer to the question of tech package or not is all that is required...

LeftieBiker said:

Yes, maybe like that 4" or 6" flexible PVC drainage hose stuff. Cheap too!

Back