Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clarksville, TN (Jct. I-24/U.S. 79 NW of Nashville) is open, #5 for the month, #53 total. EA has changed their map, showing the number of sites in a circle for each region, then only showing the individual sites when you zoom in/click on a circle. Makes it easier to count new ones, but I'm undecided if I prefer this approach or the old one.

ripple4 said:
Can you share where is this information coming from?
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger

To make it easier to track openings, click on the 'three slidebars' icon and uncheck the 'Coming Soon' box. then you just need to maintain a count of the number in the large circles (you need to zoom out so you can see the whole country), and whenever one of the numbers changes, zoom in and figure out where the new ones are. For instance, the six large circles currently read 5, 4, 13, 4, 11 and 23, for 60 total. Whenever one or more of those changes, I know they've added QCs in that area, and zooming in I can find the new one(s) fairly quickly, as I know the names of the existing cities which have QCs. the list of sites off to the side isn't much help for this, as it follows no pattern for the listings that I can find.

A new smartphone app and subscription plans are coming soon.

Q&A with Brendan Jones of Electrify America
https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/24/qa-with-brendan-jones-of-electrify-america/

End of calendar year 2018 total, 60 QC sites in 8 months, in the 2-4/month range from May through September, then ramping into double digits/month (15/18/12) for the last quarter.

The first two sites have opened this month, for 62 total: Pearland, TX (SR 288, S. of (I-610 [Sam Houston Toll Rd.], S. of Houston); Du Bois, PA (I-80). With the addition of Du Bois to Bloomsburg on I-80, it's now possible to drive from NYC to Pittsburgh and Youngstown, and with varying degrees of greater care, Wheeling, Akron, Canton, Cleveland, Erie and Buffalo.

Two more sites have opened, for 4 this month and 64 total: Rockford, IL (Jct. I-90/Bus. U.S. 20); Little Rock, AR (I-30, nr. Jct. I-430). The latter provides a much needed shortenting of the leg between Hope and Forrest City.

Two more sites opened, for 6 this month and 66 total: Columbus, TX (I-10 between Houston and San Antonio), and Clarksville, IN (Jct. I-65/265, just north of Louisville, and not to be confused with the QC in Clarksville, TN). Columbus allows driving between San Antonio and Tallahassee with some care, and Clarksville means you can now drive with a lot of care from Milwaukee/Madison or even Green Bay via Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville and Nashville to Decatur, AL, and maybe even Birmingham.

Anybody have any insight into why Electrify America has several stations that were completed months ago that still haven't opened? I have noticed a trend where they seem to open them at random, when some stations just sit and never get opened. An example is the one in Dell, Montana completed back in October 2018, and of course still not open. I appreciate them building these out, but wonder what on earth takes them so long to open permits, internet, certification etc. One site in Mountain Home, Idaho is even powered on and displays unavailable on its screen with the correct time and banners for some unknown reason. Obviously in the case of that site if it's getting the time and powered on it must have internet access and power, but yet it sits unopened. Something else that's interesting is that they turn on random sites like Winnemucca, Nevada when most cars sans Tesla would never even be able to get there. The adjacent sites under construction to the Winnemucca site are still not opened either, so it is obviously a totally random pattern that Electrify America seems to have. It almost seems like they deliberately leave some sites unopened as if they are waiting for other sites to complete, and open them in waves. If anyone has any insight or ideas I would love to hear them.

stutech said:
Anybody have any insight into why Electrify America has several stations that were completed months ago that still haven't opened? I have noticed a trend where they seem to open them at random, when some stations just sit and never get opened. An example is the one in Dell, Montana completed back in October 2018, and of course still not open. I appreciate them building these out, but wonder what on earth takes them so long to open permits, internet, certification etc. One site in Mountain Home, Idaho is even powered on and displays unavailable on its screen with the correct time and banners for some unknown reason. Obviously in the case of that site if it's getting the time and powered on it must have internet access and power, but yet it sits unopened. Something else that's interesting is that they turn on random sites like Winnemucca, Nevada when most cars sans Tesla would never even be able to get there. The adjacent sites under construction to the Winnemucca site are still not opened either, so it is obviously a totally random pattern that Electrify America seems to have. It almost seems like they deliberately leave some sites unopened as if they are waiting for other sites to complete, and open them in waves. If anyone has any insight or ideas I would love to hear them.
I've also wondered about why the orphaned sites (those too far away for anyone to reach from any other QC or major urban area, like Huntington, Winnemucca, Hays/Colby and Missoula) get opened. It makes no logical sense, but EA (unlike Tesla) has to complete a certain number of sites per the schedule or get beat on by the governments concerned, and that's the only explanation I can think of.

As to why they don't open others that appear to be done, I can only assume that there are permit or QC issues before they can turn them on, just as other companies have had to deal with. Have you tried contacting EA directly? I'm just glad that they are doing this relatively fast, even if the site deployment order is sometimes illogical.

EA locations in Buffalo and Herkimer NY seem to be installed, but neither is operational. In these cases, they appear to be waiting for the final inspection by the town and hookup by the utility. As far as I can tell, both of those are outside of EA’s control.

To Guy’s point, they must open a certain number by June 30, 2019 or face possible penalties. But the letter of the law does not preclude them from opening them all on June 30th (logistics aside).

A cynic might point out that VWAG doesn’t have a car widely available yet that can use the network so every charger opened potentially helps a competitor. The cars are coming, of course. Or so they say. Delaying the final openings could be a strategic move*.

*Im not saying I believe this hypothesis, per se, but it has crossed my mind more than once.

GCC:
Electrify America, Hubject collaborate to bring Plug&Charge to more than 2,000 high-power public chargers by year end
https://www.greencarcongress.com/

Electrify America and Hubject, a recognized leader in electric vehicle (EV) charging interoperability and “Plug&Charge” technology capabilities, announced a strategic agreement that will allow people to pay for their electric vehicle charging simply by plugging in their vehicles.

Hubject will provide its expertise to Electrify America in a variety of areas surrounding the implementation of the global standard ISO 15118 (earlier post) into the North American market, the most prevalent functionality for what is commonly referred to as “Plug&Charge.”

By bringing ISO 15118 to all of Electrify America’s DC fast and home AC chargers, this technology is also the first step to enable EV smart charging and vehicle to grid (V2G) communications. It enables the vehicle to automatically authenticate and authorize a charging session using secure digital communication, eliminating the need for membership RFID cards, credit cards or mobile apps. . . .

Electrify America will be the first DC fast charging network in the United States to provide this technology at its charging stations. Several automakers are beginning to add this capability in their cars. . . .

With a focus on both future and present-day electric vehicles, Electrify America’s charging systems have a range in power from 50kW, the most commonly used fast charging for electric vehicles today, up to 150kW and 350kW for its highway stations. All of those stations are prepared for Plug&Charge and will be updated with software later this year. The company will install more than 500 DC fast charging station sites in the United States by the end of 2019. . . .
About time someone other than Tesla did this.

Back