SanDust

Re: Home outlet for Level I: better to be GFCI outlet...or n

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:47 pm

The EVSE has a GFCI so I'd skip the GFCI outlet if possible. A GFCI outlet won't add anything. However, I was under the impression that all outside outlets had to be GFCIs.

Randy
Delivery Date: 04 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0191

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:24 pm

To the OP,
Seems like you got your GFCI question answered. I would add another tip that could potentially help you out in the future...

Whether you're having a new receptacle installed or using an existing one, don't use the spring clips that are on the back for easier wire connections. We've seen cases where these deteriorate over time, and with an older receptacle especially, they can get hot with the large amount of sustained current the EVSE will draw.

It's much better to use the screw terminals on the side of the receptacle for a better connection....

Amiel
Delivery Date: 10 Feb 2013

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Thank you all for your responses to my question. This is extremely helpful. To summarize what I'm taking from the discussion:
1. Get the outlet GFCI to provide safety that the EVSE does not provide and that other uses of the outlet (electric lawnmower, etc) call for. (I have an old home, which is why they are not GFCI now).
2. Plug EVSE into a dedicated circuit with 20A or great gauge to reduce the likelihood of nuisance trips (which are only happening with a fraction of users anyhow)
3. If electrician is plugging wire anyhow, use a 240V circuit (20A or 40A, depending on EVSE)
4. Don't use the spring clips on the back of receptacles because they can get hot from the sustained current

One remaining question: if I get a dedicated 240V circuit put in, will that work with a Level 1 EVSE? I'm assuming the answer is (a) Yes and (b) And it will give me the flexibility to put a Level 2 in there in the future. Correct assumptions?

davewill

Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Amiel wrote:... One remaining question: if I get a dedicated 240V circuit put in, will that work with a Level 1 EVSE? I'm assuming the answer is (a) Yes and (b) And it will give me the flexibility to put a Level 2 in there in the future. Correct assumptions?
Only if you get it upgraded. See http://EVSEUpgrade.com for details. It's a great option and I highly recommend it.

Another option is to pull the wire for 40a 240v, but have the electrician only use it for a 120v circuit for now. Later you can change the breaker and outlet and have full L2.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

SanDust

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 pm

1. You don't need the GFCI for the EVSE because it has one. Two probably don't work as well as one.
2. If you're using a 120v EVSE you don't need a 20A circuit. A 15A circuit will do.
3. If you're installing a new circuit ("pulling wire") for a 240v charger then you might as well put in a 40A circuit assuming your panel and the EVSE will support this. If the EVSE won't support 40A install wire for it and then just use a smaller breaker that matches the EVSE. It's cheap to swap out the breaker but expensive to pull wire. (The breaker can be a lower amperage than the wire will support).
4. Some 120v outlets allow the electrician to just stick the wires in (back stabbing). This is very fast but not desirable. Great suggestion about avoiding this BTW.

The only EVSE that I know of that will work with both 120v and 240v is the EVSEupgrade. They take your 120v charger and "upgrade it" so it will also support 240v charging.

keydiver
Delivery Date: 08 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16484

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 am

Amiel wrote:One remaining question: if I get a dedicated 240V circuit put in, will that work with a Level 1 EVSE? I'm assuming the answer is (a) Yes and (b) And it will give me the flexibility to put a Level 2 in there in the future. Correct assumptions?

If you aren't having your factory EVSE upgraded right now, and you are just going to try L1 charging for now, you don't need 240 VAC. But, if you have the electrician there to do the work, I would have him prewire everything for both 120 VAC and 240 VAC. My garage has a subpanel box, with BOTH a 20 AMP 120 VAC outlet and an L6 240 VAC outlet. The 240 needs 2 hot legs and ground. The 120 needs a hot leg, neutral, and ground.
If you don't think you will go the EVSE Upgrade path, skip the L6 240 outlet, as most L2 EVSE's need to be hardwired in.
2012 Glacier Pearl SL - Delivered December 8, 2011
10kW Solar PV for recharging!
2006 Prius with Hymotion 5kWh PHEV upgrade
Tesla 70D | Titanium Metallic | Matte Obeche Wood Décor| All Glass Panoramic Roof
Tesla Model 3 Pre-Ordered!

Saopylab
Delivery Date: 06 Nov 2018

Re: Home outlet for Level I: better to be GFCI outlet...or not?

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:03 am

Just my two cents...sorry for bumping

The instruction manual for the volt says you are not supposed to use a GFCI outlet. Here is a link to review https://besttoolexpert.com/gfci-outlet/ However... outlets located in garages are required to be GFCI by code in most cities now. The 120 Voltec unit does have a GFCI built in. You have a couple of choices here:

1 Violate your local code and replace the GFCI outlet with a standard commercial grade outlet. (The charger has a GFCI detector built in.)

2 Try a different brand of GFCI outlet. Some may be more compatible with the Voltec charger than others.
Last edited by Saopylab on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:33 am

I think that the issue is just that using more than one GFCI in series greatly increases the likelihood of false trips. It may also make it harder for the EVSE to verify the ground. I'd say if the setup works, don't worry about it.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

oz10k
Delivery Date: 18 Oct 2017
Leaf Number: 313665

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 am

One remaining question: if I get a dedicated 240V circuit put in, will that work with a Level 1 EVSE? I'm assuming the answer is (a) Yes and (b) And it will give me the flexibility to put a Level 2 in there in the future. Correct assumptions?

Hey Amiel,

You can buy a multi-voltage (120/240 volt) multi-current EVSE pretty cheap, check-out https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12489. And it's nice to have two, in case one fails or just so that you have one at home and can leave one in the car.

Ron

davewill

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:43 am

oz10k wrote:

Hey Amiel,

You can buy a multi-voltage (120/240 volt) multi-current EVSE pretty cheap, check-out https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12489. And it's nice to have two, in case one fails or just so that you have one at home and can leave one in the car.

Ron

Do you really think he's still worrying about this after 5 years? :lol:
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”