silverone
Delivery Date: 03 Jan 2017

Re: EVSE options for 2013+ Leafs

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:34 pm

jjeff wrote:
silverone wrote:I was able to get a 30A EVSE from Ebay that appears to be an unlabeled version of Evocharge 30A EVSE.

Do you have a link? I searched ebay for EVOcharge but found nothing :?

Here's an eBay listing for the LO-BC2 EVSE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Level- ... fb&vxp=mtr

And the EvoCharge for comparison is on Amazon for $625 plus shipping. Model number EV072-300-001A.

When I searched for LO-BC2 there were other websites that had it available for a similar price from the same vendor.

Edited - couldn't post link to Amazon for some reason
2013 SL with Premium package - build date 5/13. 12 bar car with 39,000 miles and counting...
2014 Volt - 45,000+ miles

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:26 pm

silverone wrote:
jjeff wrote:
silverone wrote:I was able to get a 30A EVSE from Ebay that appears to be an unlabeled version of Evocharge 30A EVSE.

Do you have a link? I searched ebay for EVOcharge but found nothing :?

Here's an eBay listing for the LO-BC2 EVSE
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Level- ... fb&vxp=mtr

And the EvoCharge for comparison is on Amazon for $625 plus shipping. Model number EV072-300-001A.

When I searched for LO-BC2 there were other websites that had it available for a similar price from the same vendor.

Edited - couldn't post link to Amazon for some reason

Wow that is a great price! I've already got too many EVSEs but if I didn't :lol:
Link to Amazon listing, not such a great price, but again a nice looking EVSE.
https://www.amazon.com/EVoCharge-Certif ... ev+charger
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

jjeff

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:46 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
Turnover wrote: No, I haven't and my son hasn't had any trouble with the equipment I bought. Still, I paid good money for this equipment and I stand to loose big time if something goes wrong and don't care to be blown off even by folks I like.

That's one advantage of buying your EV products from a reputable vendor like us at Quick Charge Power is that you are taken care of. Good luck to those folks who buy their stuff directly from China, and subsequently need warranty repairs.

UL neither hinders, nor helps. It should provide a baseline of safety, but as we clearly know, UL listed devices are being sold and failing, some in spectacular ways. It doesn't weed out the "bottom-feeders" like Blink is.

It really does come down to knowing who you are buying from. It does pay to do business with reputable suppliers, whether the equipment has been UL listed, or not. No reputable supplier will risk their brand name on junk, and we certainly have never done that.

By the way, we had a weekend sale on our Go-Cable, with NEMA L6-20 plug, plus two adaptors for NEMA 10-30 (old dryers) and NEMA 14-50 (RV parks and ovens). We sold almost 100 in 3 days. These are PERFECT for a lightweight, low cost, portable charge cable with all the plugs for a LEAF.

Totally agree and personally I wouldn't have ordered direct from China but doing so allowed me to order it just the way I wanted it built. None of the US based resellers of this EVSE had the amp settings I wanted nor the correct combination of cable length and plug style I wanted.
But ordering direct from China I'm the US dealer, any warranty issues and I personally would have to contact the Chinese seller and arrange shipping back to them(and I'd guess on my dime). I kind of took the chance because it looked to be a quality device and basically gambled it would be decent, luckily it seems to be but again I understand the consequences if it hadn't turned out to be.
I have no problem with someone purchasing such an item in bulk and reselling for a profit and in doing so providing local support or warranty. It looks like the cheaper ebay seller of the EVSE very similar to mine has kind of split the difference, basically not charging much more than I paid after shipping but stating that warranty support would need to be direct with the Chinese seller, the other ebay seller that was $95 more did provide warranty support, I think both sellers are providing a decent product, just different levels of service which is reflected in their pricing and certainly fair :)
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

baustin
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2015
Leaf Number: 402162

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:04 pm

If you want a quality unit, and cost is a concern, I still recommend the GE Durastation. I purchased and have been using one since March 2015 with no issues. It is in a weather-tight housing with adjustable output and a three year warranty. It is designed to be hard-wired, but a cord can be attached instead. It is available from Home Depot for $399, and also available on Amazon (but the price fluctuates there). It is a plain looking unit, but functions well. I also purchased a cord hanger that the handle clips in for about $25 (available from multiple vendors).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charge ... /205808537
2013 Leaf SV - Cayenne Red - QC Port - LED Headlights

annabel398
Delivery Date: 01 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 424858

Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:15 am

Twenty-two pages of posts and only one mention of the Chargepoint EVSE, so I'm chiming in:

This EVSE is on the pricey side, but it does go on sale every now and then... I bought the plug-in with 25' cord for $636 delivered, during the retail bonanza between Thanksgiving and Xmas.

Federal tax credit 30% = $191, City of Austin rebate 50% = $318, for an out-of-pocket cost of $127. <fist pump>

The connectivity is a nice-to-have, not a must, but I was happy to turn off my Leaf's charge scheduler and replace it with the unit's scheduling (configurable for weekend/weekday, with however a start and stop time, not an "end by" time). I do like the ease of overriding the scheduler--you can either do it with the hardware (plug in, unplug, replug) or with the app (tap "Start charging now").

The unit is very sleek-looking and comes with everything necessary to mount it, including long screws and a paper template. The cord wraps around the mounted box. The "holster" is a ball swivel, so if you mount the unit low to the ground, the "nozzle" can still be engaged and disengaged easily. The colored lights are, well, mainly for the ooh-ahh factor when I show it off to friends. Green for online, blue when plugged in to the car, flashing blue when actually charging. I guess it goes red or amber for faults--haven't seen it though.

I know a lot of members here are avid do-it-yourselfers, but I really liked the ease of opening the box, screwing the plate to the wall, snapping in the wires, and plugging it in. It's worth noting that this unit is UL-listed, as one of the requirements for the 50% rebate from the city was UL approval.

No dog in the hunt... Just a happy customer. (I guess it didn't hurt that about 97% of the public chargers in Austin are on the Chargepoint network, so I already had a Chargepoint account.)

Last edited by annabel398 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nissan Leaf SV with QC/LED | manufactured December 2013
11 bars, dropped the first at 30.300 miles | located in Austin, TX

mazdaboi
Delivery Date: 21 Sep 2012

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:29 pm

annabel398 wrote:Twenty-two pages of posts and only one mention of the Chargepoint EVSE, so I'm chiming in:

This EVSE is on the pricey side, but it does go on sale every now and then... I bought the plug-in with 25' cord for $636 delivered, during the retail bonanza between Thanksgiving and Xmas.

Federal tax credit 30% = $191, City of Austin rebate 50% = $318, for an out-of-pocket cost of $127. <fist pump>

No dog in the hunt... Just a happy customer. (I guess it didn't hurt that about 97% of the public chargers in Austin are on the Chargepoint network, so I already had a Chargepoint account.)

I just picked up the L2 16Amp version of the ChargePoint Home. LOVE IT! Coming from my old EcoTality BLINK EVSE. I only had availability to run a 20amp service to my garage, so the 16Amp Chargepoint EVSE is great.

Got the Plug-In unit for $380 (new)+ $116 for a used 16Amp J1772 Cable. Both from Amazon. small, easy to transport (if need-be) and seems high quality.

I can charge at 6.6kw with my 2013 S, but dont have the Amps available nor the heaver gauge wire to run 30-35amps safely.
2013 Leaf S - White (Current Town Commuter)
Chargepoint Home L2 EVSE
2013 Volt Base - Cyber Gray (Traded)
2012 Leaf SL- Glacier White Pearl (Traded)
ECOtality, Blink L2 EVSE (Sold)

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 31 May 2013

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Does the Chargepoint unit let you stop charging remotely? Now that would be a real help. Here's a link to a current price:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0124KMODY/?tag=myelecarfor-20&th=1
2013 "Brilliant Silver" SV with Premium Package and no QC, and 2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf cells.

The most offensive, tasteless phrase in use here is "Pulled the trigger." I no longer respond to posts that use it.

annabel398
Delivery Date: 01 Nov 2013
Leaf Number: 424858

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 am

LeftieBiker wrote:Does the Chargepoint unit let you stop charging remotely? Now that would be a real help. Here's a link to a current price:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0124KMODY/?tag=myelecarfor-20&th=1

I believe it does, but I will test when I go home at lunch today and let you know for sure.

You can definitely set a schedule (one for weekdays, one for weekends); and you can initiate charging at any time from the app, assuming you're plugged in of course. There is also a hardware override of the auto-schedule: if you plug it in, remove the plug, and re-plug it within (I think) 8 seconds, the car will start charging even if it's outside scheduled hours. I usually use the software to do it, if only to save wear-and-tear on the plug.

It can also text a reminder to plug in at a certain hour, if you haven't already.

BTW, the prices in the link currently (as of 4 April 2017) are: $630 with 18' cord, $675 with 25' cord -- this is for the 32A (40A outlet) plug-in version. That's a little higher than I paid on Black Friday but considerably lower than list.
Nissan Leaf SV with QC/LED | manufactured December 2013
11 bars, dropped the first at 30.300 miles | located in Austin, TX

jcmachado
Delivery Date: 10 Mar 2017
Leaf Number: 022015

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:57 am

After a lot of research reading every single forum about EVSE and talking to owners of different EVSEs, I decided to try the OBER products.

I ended up buying the OBER-Charger.

I was going to be thousands of dollars for us to get 240V in our garage, ended up saving more than 80% of total costs and was able to do it myself.

This is the description of the OBER-Charger from their page:

OberCHARGER combines a powerful Level-2 charger
with the OberSWITCHER.
This single box is the most cost effective solution
? if you don’t have or want a separate EVSE.
Charges most EV in 3-4 hours even when dryer is in use.
Length of J-1772 cable and plug: 20ft

Use your regular dryer wall outlet to charge your car.
Plug&Play - just connect your Level-2 charger (EVSE)
and dryer and use both at same time.

Their website is http://ober-ev.com

I got good reviews from friends in Europe, I think they are just starting to sell in the US market. I will post pictures of my install if anyone is interested. Just let me know or ask me any questions.

jjeff

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:18 am

So basically $750 for a 30, probably 24a EVSE(24a since it will be plugged into to a 30a oulet) and Dryer Buddy(box that shares EVSE load with a dryer). Looks like for $380 you can purchase just the Dryer Buddy alone.
VegasBrad(member on MNL) sells his Dryer Buddy for ~$150 depending on plug, which would mean that 24a Ober EVSE would be costing ~$600.
For ~$400 and up one could get a GE full 30a(not 24a although can be de-rated to 24a) UL listed EVSE, which when added to Brads Dryer Buddy would come in ~$550 or two hundred less than the Ober EVSE. And note I was pricing the UL listed GE EVSE, my non UL 30a Chinese Zencar EVSE cost ~$300 shipped and I don't believe the Ober is UL listed, although I could be wrong......
Not saying anything bad about the Ober, I just think it's a bit overpriced :)
Oh a link to Brads Dryer Buddy, which while I haven't personally used, it looks rather nice.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=21784&hilit=dryer+buddy
I always like seeing new EVSEs and some might like the "all in one" approach to this one, personally I think they might be pricing themselves out of the market :)
GE Durastation 30a

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”