EVSE options for 2013+ Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Want to make a comprehensive list here.

Pls post options you know of / use here.

1. EVSE upgrade

Upgrade the EVSE that comes with Leaf.

Max Power : 5kW (?)
Upgrade Cost : $287
New : $1,027

link : evseupgrade.com

2. Open EVSE

Get a kit from an open source hardware design. Buy rest of the items and assemble.

Max Power > 6kW
Cost : ~$500

3. Blink EVSE

Blink EVSEs have had over heating issues with RAV4EV and Fit EV. No issues with Leaf '13 have been reported. My Blink is working without any overheating issues. If you see any overheating issues (monitor every 30 minutes when you charge the first few times), either ask Ecotality to upgrade it or if out of warranty upgrade it by changing the cable or other means.

Max Power > 6kW
Cost : $0 to ~$200

4. Clipper Creek LCS-25

Max Power ~ 5kW
Cost : $595 (regular $700)

Link : http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5. Bosch Automotive PowerMax L2 EVSEs expected to ship in June '13. Same units sold by Delta & Blink.

16 Amps, 12 ft cord : $449
30 Amps, 18 ft cord : $593
30 Amps, 25 ft cord : $749

http://www.pluginnow.com/power-max3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6. Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot etc have multiple EVSE brands upwards of $800.

evnow said:
3. Upgrade Blink EVSE

If you already have a Blink EVSE, either ask Ecotality to upgrade it or if out of warranty upgrade it by changing the cable or other means.

Max Power > 6kW
Cost : $0 to ~$200
Why would you upgrade a Blink? It's already a 30a (7.2kW) unit.

evnow said:

1. EVSE upgrade

I notice he raised his prices.. (Used to be $239 for the upgrade)..

davewill said:
A lot of Blinks get very hot at 30 amps. They have damaged RAV4EVs, repeatedly trip Fit EVs etc.

Search, there are threads about that.

sorphin said:
evnow said:

1. EVSE upgrade

That was the 12A upgrade not the 16 or 20A, the prices did not change.

evnow said:
1. EVSE upgrade

link : evseupgrade.com

4. Clipper Creek LCS-25

Max Power ~ 5kW
Cost : $595 (regular $700)

Link : http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-6/Level-2-EVSE%2C-Level/Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The EVSE upgrade cost is more like $350 after you add two-way shipping and the necessary cable to maintain the ability to charge at 120V.

Bosch 240V/16A 3.3kW EVSE for $449. Est. availability Jun 2013. Shipping or tax unknown at this time.
http://www.pluginnow.com/power-max" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Clipper LCS-25 unit is $595 + tax, with free shipping
http://www.metroplugin.com/shop/clippercreek-lcs-25/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
davewill said:
A lot of Blinks get very hot at 30 amps. They have damaged RAV4EVs, repeatedly trip Fit EVs etc.

Search, there are threads about that.
I've seen those threads, but it's a repair, not an upgrade, and shouldn't cost anything.

davewill said:
I've seen those threads, but it's a repair, not an upgrade, and shouldn't cost anything.
Yes, repair is probably right. It will cost you some if you are out of warranty (like I am).

evnow said:
Yes, repair is probably right. It will cost you some if you are out of warranty (like I am).
Well, you've reminded me not to let this wait any longer. As for you, it may not work, but I'd raise a stink even if out of warranty. Be sure to mention the liability they might face if not fixing it causes the unthinkable.

EVDRIVER said:
sorphin said:
evnow said:

1. EVSE upgrade

That was the 12A upgrade not the 16 or 20A, the prices did not change.

Well apparently he only offers the 'newer' upgrade then, because the website only shows $287 now.

What about the Aerovironment, GE, Siemens, etc?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rumpole said:
What about the Aerovironment, GE, Siemens, etc?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My eyes/ears are perked...so this one would charge the 2013 at a full rate, as fast as the car will provide/allow?

And the Clipper Creek would charge the 2012 at full charge, but not the 2013?

Sorry for being dense here, I'm looking at another lease, a 2013, and need to make a decision on an EVSE at some point. I have an evseupgrade.com presently (love it), but would like the idea of a permanant installation, plus full power charging for the 2013.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Redjr said:
rumpole said:
he 2013?

Sorry for being dense here, I'm looking at another lease, a 2013, and need to make a decision on an EVSE at some point. I have an evseupgrade.com presently (love it), but would like the idea of a permanant installation, plus full power charging for the 2013.

Thanks for any help that you can give me.
if you have something that works well, is well priced and that you love why would you be looking to replace it? I would stick with your evse upgraded equipment

{quote} If you have something that works well, is well priced and that you love why would you be looking to replace it? I would stick with your evse upgraded equipment[/quote]

At the risk if hijacking....

Phil is a great guy, God bless him for offering this upgrade at a reasonable price, I am more than happy with his upgraded cord on my 2012. But...

I am going to be leasing a second Leaf, this one for my S/O, and to get Level 2 capabilities at her house may be expensive. As she spends time at my house, as well as works in my town, my thought is getting a more permanant, and higher output EVSE installed in my shop for a few reasons.

1.) It's an inexpensive and simple wiring job, the 10-2 (or 8-2) AGW run would/could only be a couple feet from my breaker box. Materials (and labor) would be minimal.

2.) She would charge at level I at her house, but if she needed to, she could drive her Leaf down to VLBW in the evening, still charge enough overnight to be able to get to work. Then, because I am (basically) retired, I could snatch her car from work, and charge it quickly on my TOU rates, for half (or less) the cost that she could at her house, and return it to her. I dont anticipate this scenerio to happen often, but it will, I know her, her children, and the amount of errands that she does at night.

3.) A third charging option would be helpful in my charging needs/wants. I could leave my upgraded Level II charging cable at another (already wired Level II) location where I spend 3 days a week, for about 4 hours, when my home is at peak TOU.

4.) There aren't any (that I'm aware of) Level III charging stations in the state of WI, so like others on the forum, we don't have the option to quick charge away from home.

5.)Phil's upgrade is 287 plus shipping (twice), that puts me at $330ish, and an addititional charging station is either $600 (Clipper) or $850 (Siemens). His upgrade won't benefit her at her house without an expensive electrical upgrade, but either of the other two would benefit both of us. The advantages seem to warrant the cost, at least to me, or at least some consideration.

So in this situation, I was asking, if the Siemens would enable the 2013 to utilize its full charging capabilities, as to where the Clipper may not?

Edit: One more piece of the pie is, If I run into situation 2 (and I will), I only have 3 hours of TOU off peak hours in the morning that the car will be available to me to charge, so quicker is better, in this case. Of course, how much am I willing to pay for this quick(er) charging option.

Sorry for the novel, sometimes, it's all I know how to do. :roll:

I ordered a 2013.

I have an Aeronvironment EVSE at one location that I'm 90% sure will have no problem delivering the full 6.6 Kw.

However, I also have a Blink, under warranty, that I'm 90% sure will not.

I just got off the phone with Blink, and they said :

"They have never had this come up before :roll: , and they have no plans to upgrade any Blink units for the 2013 cars"

Anyone with better info. a better person to call, a case to invoke .... I'm all ears .

KillaWhat said:
I ordered a 2013. I have an Aeronvironment EVSE at one location that I'm 90% sure will have no problem delivering the full 6.6 Kw. However, I also have a Blink, under warranty, that I'm 90% sure will not.
HUH?? Go to Settings on your Blink and select Device Info. Doesn't it say Maximum Current 30A? The 2013 on-board charger pulls 27.5A. (240 volts times 27.5 amps = 6600 watts.)

No worries!

Ray

planet4ever said:
KillaWhat said:
I ordered a 2013. I have an Aeronvironment EVSE at one location that I'm 90% sure will have no problem delivering the full 6.6 Kw. However, I also have a Blink, under warranty, that I'm 90% sure will not.
HUH?? Go to Settings on your Blink and select Device Info. Doesn't it say Maximum Current 30A? The 2013 on-board charger pulls 27.5A. (240 volts times 27.5 amps = 6600 watts.)

No worries!
Yes. the issue with the Blink isn't whether it will supply enough current, it definitely will. The issue is whether it will do so without burning up the plug and outlet on the car. Call back and ask for a REPAIR, not an upgrade. Tell them you have no confidence that your Blink will charge the car without causing a FIRE. Whether they fix it or not, the first time you use it with the new car, monitor the temperature where it plugs into the car. If it gets hot, cease using it, and file another repair request.

Talked to Blink/Ecotality today. According to them, the 30 amp problem comes up only with RAV4 & Fit. Their "solution" is to set the max current draw to 16 amps. They have never had any problems reported with 2013 Leafs - not sure how many people are using the old Blink with the new Leaf. I'll post this question in a new thread.

Back